Are young adults today lacking life skills that inhibit them to determine an individual life track?

So I'm an Asian American raised under immigrant parents who came to this country to start a family. Therefore, I wasn't taught much about the system pertaining to everyday life skills. For example,

*How to do taxes

• What taxes are
  • How to vote
  • What political parties are
  • How to write a resume/cover letter/anything related to getting a job
  • How to write a check/balance a check book
  • Anything to do with banking
  • How to do loans for college
  • How to jump start a car or other basic emergency things
  • How to buy a car or house

We are distracted with the free flow of information that we forget how essential these skills are in order to promote confidence for independence.

I understand that these can be learned through parents or as you go on, but what about the 99% protesting on Wall Street? If they knew about credit scores or interest rates, would so many students have taken out those loans?

Throughout my study, I found most high school graduates who are going to college don't have any idea of what they want to study. I believe it is because they lack the confidence to believe in themselves to pursue a higher purpose in life.

People & Celebrities
0 6

I think the main reason for a lot of these problems is a the perpetuation of what I will call a "youth culture" from herein for lack of a better term. The heart of the matter is that basically everyone is still a teenager long after the teen years should have come to a close. Being an adult is all about doing the difficult good for the service of others, and being a child/teen/youth is all about instant gratification and valuing fun over all else. When given the choice, who wouldn't pick the second? In our current society, nothing is compelling anyone to choose to become an adult, so no one becomes an adult. The natural consequences that follow include everything you've identified and more. Way back in the day, kids would go to work as soon as they could and they would continue to work to help feed the family until they were off married with a family of their own and even then they would still continue to work because if they didn't they would starve and their children would starve. Nowadays, a bachelor's degree is largely worthless (with the exception of nursing and computer science and maybe one or two other fields). In order to have a steady job that can support a family, we've all got to be students until we're pushing thirty. There is nothing these days to turn children into men and women. For children, the sky is the limit and the potential is boundless. But every choice made necessarily eliminates other possible choices, so growing up and choosing a field is seen as the removal of choice, instead of the reward of making a choice. Why choose when you don't have to? Thusly, this youth culture pervades all aspects of life and sets up for failure all those who should be transitioning into adulthood.

So are you saying young adults have the life skills to determine an individual life track?

As we get more and more advanced the people in the world are less and less in need to know how things work. the man who made the weal was a genius. user friendly has made your children idiots

You sound like such a tool

For many, absolutely. Their snow plow/helicopter parents have done everything for them..........but, for others, no.