Can an evolutionary path be altered by technology development?

Ok.. Time to hypothesize.. Let's say that humans were slated to evolve wings and the natural ability to fly in 100 million years. However, since we have developed flying technologies (airplanes, helicopters, balloons) and no longer need the natural ability to fly, will our "evolutionary destiny" be altered or will we still get wings in 100 million years (as if the evolutionary development is hard-coded in our genetics)??

Technology
0 16

Ive heard future humans will be weaker because we rely to much on technology

@BoscoBurns Ive heard future humans will be weaker because we rely to much on technology

We will. But our brains will probably be better. Make sure to have sex with a smart person lol

There are variations within all species. Whether or not these variations lead to reproductive advantages is determined by the environment. The variations that lead to reproductive advantages have a better chance of being passed on to future generations. Our technology changes the environment, and so too changes the advantages/disadvantages of particular variations. So, in this regard, our technology will impact the success of certain variations.

Evolution itself though is a process that changes the genetics of living creatures. It does not have a destiny or a conclusion.

infact it already is done,...
males were meant to be extinct by now
but ancient scientists realized the weakness of the male gene...ie the Y gene and suggested that ppl wiwthin the same family or within the same lineage shoukdnt have babies..'
google it.
the X gene is much more powwrful but becausde of the steps taken by scientitsts men are not yet extinct
check the link

http://www.hitxp.com/articles/v...ge-extinction/

Uh.... Have you looked around recently? We're surrounded by the answer.

I actually have hypothesized much the same, but more along the lines of guided mutations in very fast reproducing plants that would be then be able to survive in Mars like environments, perhaps with the potential of terraforming Mars to become habitable by humans. It would take a lot of study, and time, but I'd say we at least think about it. And if it works, send all the people interested in science to Mars, and those who subscribe to religions stay here and we see in 100,000 years which society is better off. Haha!

@JohnJillky And of people who like both?

If they are able to accept a natural cause for the existence of the universe, and everything in it. And put aside their belief in a deity when a natural, explanatory model, works with the observable universe, then sure bring them along. They also can't try to force religion on people.

@Maelthus If they are able to accept a natural cause for the existence of the universe, and everything in it. And put aside...

So if they believe that a god started it all (going with the naturalistic explanation), then they are instantly unfit for society?

And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm asking if I'm interpreting your words correctly

@JohnJillky And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm asking if I'm interpreting your words correctly

No, they are welcome to believe what that want so long as it doesn't effect their ability to search, and understand the natural explanation, and they don't try to teach it to the next generation until they are able to reason. All unscientific, unverifiable, untestable, beliefs are going to be presented only after the child gets the ability to reason.

I wondered if it already has. How would we know