+20

Fix everything with a new school system.

We need to redefine the curriculum. If we are all honest to ourselves we would all admit there are some things taught in school we don't need to know. I think we need to reevaluate what's really important. Once children are taught what's really important they can make real choices for themselves. When I was a child I knew i wanted to be a detective, but now that I'm an adult I don't know what I want to do. Yes we can do whatever it is we want to do when we are an adult but this is after being taught we have to do, and to learn what others want us to do and learn. I think if children had the opportunity to do what they wanted to do (career wise) at a young age and were provided with everything they needed to do so, they would be more successful adults. How do you create a super soldier? You raise them that way. So, how do you create a super doctor or super anything? My best guess is to raise them that way. We can all say that a child can learn what they want on their own time but isn't that what school is for? We can blame parents for raising the child but how much time does a child spend with their parents? Children have school they have homework they barely have time to play. When do children learn what they want to learn and why do we force them to learn anything else? I declare teaching children what we learn (through studying) to be truly important such as social behavior (social behavior being my opinion on something important). Then when the child is ready to move on (at whatever age they happen to be, because not all children are the same) we allow them to study what they want to study. Children start doing the things they love at a younger age and as adults are much more successful in their line of work.

kingjs avatar Law
0 2

Who gets to decide what is unnecessary knowledge and what is necessary?

You say, "Once children are taught what's really important they can make real choices for themselves." But really, once children have fully developed brains including the prefrontal cortex, known for curbing impulses and considering consequences and making good decisions and being rational. So if children had the opportunity to do what they wanted to do career wise at a young age and were provided with everything they needed to do so, the world would be full of people who hate their job and life, or changed their minds a million times and didn't find his/her calling until adulthood anyways. For example, I wanted to be a surgeon as a child but I am not cut out to be a surgeon. I really dislike school because I don't like studying or holding still. If my parents set me up for surgical success back in elementary school, I would have either wasted a ton of their money, or I'd still be studying to be a surgeon and I'd already be counting the minutes until I could retire.

The problem with super soldiers is that they suck at everything else. To be a responsible, functioning adult, one needs a working knowledge about a lot of things in our fast paced, hi tech, high stress society.

The results of children self guiding their studying is that the children would never grow up. Our world would quickly fill with boys who have mustaches instead of men and an equal, yet obviously different juxtaposition for females would be true as well.

It wouldn't fix everything.