Hello Amiwriters, this is my attempt at revisiting an older part of my life which I left alone for quite sometime (this account), so I would like you all to tell me how you feel about this site as it currently is. When I left there was a lot of people complaining about changes in it the format and the new users being new. I would like to think the community has gone back to a whole and all is swell with the daily friendly arguments. So to restate my question, " How do you feel about Amirite?" (I'll try to post something more interesting next time)

Jonesys avatar Internet & Apps
0 44

Hey Jonesy! I feel mostly fine with amirite at this point. I've been on here since late 2009, so I've been through most of the changes. I will say that I wish that the site had more jokes like it used to, because now they are few and far between.

For the most part, the site has greatly improved since the huge changes, and there are plenty of mostly friendly arguments, even if the site in general has taken on a much more serious tone.

Amirite is almost completely different than how it began, but as you can tell, I still use it. I think that the questions feature is what keeps the site fresh. There are so many questions that can spark debates, and there is only a limited amount of opinions that the main users on this site (teenagers) would think of.

Also there are a lot more older users on this site, and they tend to add an interesting perspective to debates.

In short, the site is pretty good, and you can have great discussions on here, but there are less jokes. You should still use Amirite though.

@rilara Hey Jonesy! I feel mostly fine with amirite at this point. I've been on here since late 2009, so I've been through...

Thanks for the input, is that old time machine joke with the poor grammar still running? I liked that one lol

@Jonesy Thanks for the input, is that old time machine joke with the poor grammar still running? I liked that one lol

It's been so long! I completely forgot about that joke. None of the newer, and more prominent users know about it, so I haven't heard it in months.

Also, *macne

I agree- I like the philosophical questions and there are actually still quite a few funny posts. Also I msged a mod recently and he said they are building a specific section go encourage funny thoughts and opinions. Overall I think the quality of the site has improved dramatically.

@Universe I agree- I like the philosophical questions and there are actually still quite a few funny posts. Also I msged a...

Glad to hear it, the site does seem to have improved itself. The people seem the same and there isn't an overwhelming amount of pictures being drawn lol

If you say something bad about it, there's a good chance it will be deleted. They say things won't get deleted for talking badly about the site anymore, but it does a lot of the times. You might have missed the censorship phase. No cussing, anything the mods didn't like was gone: if it was sexual, if it had to do with an opinion on something controversial they didn't agree with like religion or abortion, etc. When you asked why they deleted a post, they said because it made the site look bad- cussing I could KIND OF understand, trolling I could understand, an opinion the opposed your own I don't because there's people out there who do hold those opinions and maybe you're making the site look bad to those people by being so slandered. Most of the mods quit, quite a few famous users left because during this time. Now, the home page is littered with multiple posts by the same few users. There's a few people who I suspect are the same person with multiple accounts. And a couple of people I've seen are suspicious that some of the posts are generated from places of the internet that talk about "hot topics." A lot of the questions are try-hard to be deep and philosophical or just straight don't make sense or just can't be answered, all in an attempt to be deep. They don't really care if a post was stolen from another user, and if it's from another site, citations are optional. When suggestions are made, they go a completely different way with it. For example: no one liked when people were stealing posts, so they made it in compliance with rules to do that when people were asking them to delete the posts that were unoriginal. There was a bunch of posts that weren't even opinions, so they went and made a brain teaser and questions section. Which might have been fine if the questions and brain teasers STAYED in those specific sections. I don't see any opinion posts in the brain teaser or question section, I would like to go to the opinion section and see opinions. My opinion is that this site went down the toilet.

@Frank_n_Furter If you say something bad about it, there's a good chance it will be deleted. They say things won't get deleted for...

Oof If this site had censorship such as that I'd leave as fast as I could. I do like the addition of things other than opinions because when I left there were plenty of great posts which had to be taken down because they weren't yes or no. I'm leaning towards what you're saying and what the first person was above. The site seems to have improved, but the tone has definitely changed. Pointing to what you said about people leaving, I haven't seen one of my old friends online so far haha.

Are there any changes that you do like? I'll admit that I'll see an old post, and I'll wish that the site had more posts like that again, but I don't think that the site went completely down the toilet. It's not 100% where I wish it would be, but I don't think it's horrible, just different. I do think that part of the change is due to the users though. A lot of the great users left, and we gained more obnoxious users than we gained great ones.

You seem really unhappy about the site though. Why do you still use it?

@rilara Are there any changes that you do like? I'll admit that I'll see an old post, and I'll wish that the site had more...

Im more butt hurt over user mod relations and users. The site looks nice. Oh and they need to mae Amirite mandatory again lol

It's like when you have to double flush a toilet, amirite being the stuff you're flushing. Most of it went down the drain, but some of it is still there.

There are some posts I like, even if they are few and far between. I've been here so long (longer than my account says, I had another account before this one) so leaving would be sad-making. I did have my account deactivated for a while, but I missed the people here. I either don't care about or dislike most of the users, but there are some that I stick around for. Usually, when I'm on here, I'm not even on the just in page or home page. I'm on the user's pages reading their comments and posts because I find it much more worth while than reading the just-in/home page.

@Frank_n_Furter It's like when you have to double flush a toilet, amirite being the stuff you're flushing. Most of it went down the...

I get what you mean. I've been on here since 2009, so I really can't imagine not using amirite. Even when there were all of the horrible changes and the censorship problems last year, the idea of not using the site at all seemed strange to me.

Do you stick around hoping that it gets better? Sometimes the posts on here infuriate me, but I've mostly learned to take the good with the bad.

@rilara I get what you mean. I've been on here since 2009, so I really can't imagine not using amirite. Even when there...

Totally agree. I would come on Amirite more often than Facebook. It's like my internet home, and not coming on it anymore is a lot like moving away. It would be weird feeling and kind of sad and I'd miss people.

Yes yes a thousand times yes. I'm hoping that they will fix up some of the organizational problems, mostly. I don't care if other people want to look at brain teasers and questions and stuff, but I wanna click on opinions and see "agree or disagree"/ "yeah you are!/no way!" posts, not those. And I don't like the super serious posts but that's not the site's fault, can't change the users. Maybe advertising the site on humorous websites or something would help bring in more users who would bring in new, less serious posts- but there's still the same chance those people are just gonna steal posts from other places.

@Frank_n_Furter Totally agree. I would come on Amirite more often than Facebook. It's like my internet home, and not coming on it...

I mostly stay on the home page, so I haven't noticed a lot of the organizational problems. I wish I could suggest that you contact the mods about it, but in my experience, that doesn't do very much.

Do you like the questions feature? I've gotten to a point where I mostly prefer questions to the opinions. Lately the majority of the opinions that I see on this site are condescending, overly serious, or just ridiculous (and not in a funny way). I'm more likely to comment on questions because they give room for debate, and have less of a "I'm right and you're wrong!" tone to it.

And something that I've noticed is that all the older users tend to still use amirite? at the end of posts. I don't really care that much anymore about how posts end, but do you prefer posts with amirite? at the end? I remember that it was a big issue when it first became optional.

@rilara I mostly stay on the home page, so I haven't noticed a lot of the organizational problems. I wish I could suggest...

If I post an opinion, I AM NOT doing it without Amirite behind it. No way, no how. Also in 3 days (18 on the 10th) Ill be apply for a moderator position and if I get it I'll try to hear out every single person with a problem. This site was to big of a thing for me. It made my life better, so its time I returned the favor to it. (What I'm saying is if I get in, Ill be there for all you Amiwriters. If I don't I'm still here for all the Amiwriters)

@Jonesy If I post an opinion, I AM NOT doing it without Amirite behind it. No way, no how. Also in 3 days (18 on the...

I feel the same way. I haven't made a post in a while, but whenever I think of one, I try to work in the amirite? at the end. I feel like that was something that grouped all the posts on here together, like on FML and MLIA.

It would be nice if you could try and hear people out with problems. What I mean is when I go to the contact us page, to either suggest something or report a bug, I might hear back once, but I don't hear anything after I respond, and then nothing gets done.

Why did you leave Amirite, and what made you decide to come back?

@rilara I feel the same way. I haven't made a post in a while, but whenever I think of one, I try to work in the amirite?...

I left because I had no new material to present to the site. I didn't wish to impede its beautiful nature with inane thoughts I had so I drifted in and out, commenting with the occasional post. Now I am about to be 18 and I've had some time to mature, time to experience new things, and time for myself to grow. I never left Amirite because I dislike it. I left because I wasn't good enough for the site lol. Now I'm Jonesy v2.0

@Jonesy I left because I had no new material to present to the site. I didn't wish to impede its beautiful nature with...

That is such a nice reason :) Most people left in protest of all the changes. How are you liking the site now?

@rilara That is such a nice reason :) Most people left in protest of all the changes. How are you liking the site now?

Ill be honest Ill definitely miss all the old mods and the "dark period" was a scare to hear. Now Im just here to help out. The site seems very stagnant though :/

I miss the non-sensical and witty post. I use to visit this site all the time for a good laugh but now the post are more serious and sophisticated and complicated and well to me, boring. And maybe that's me being "uneducated" because some of these topics are things that should be discussed but I didn't come to this site to learn how "countries will be made obsolete because of commerical and organizational interest." This site isn't bad but it's tone has changed from fun and imaginative to a more realistic and dull feel. But that's just me. I'm sure there's someone out there who would love to disagree but I miss the old amirite. I'm not saying this one should go but maybe there could be a different site, one for serious debates on philosophical and religious thoughts and world problems and another site for mellow and funny post. But again, that's just me.

@kiWiLOveR I miss the non-sensical and witty post. I use to visit this site all the time for a good laugh but now the post are...

Is it just me or do all of those posts inspire anywhere between 0 discussion to maybe 3 comments and are usually created by the same couple of people?

@Jonesy I can't figure out why the Just In feed is so stagnant...

Cuz this site is dead now. So many people left when the site switched ownership, but it had been dying for a bit before that as well. The highest scoring opinions of the day can have as little as like 30 votes. I used to get butt crunched cuz my post would have 30 votes and wouldn't make it to the home page. Shit, comments used to get more votes than posts do now. Less people= less posts. I think the just in page being like that has to do with why the home page is filled with so many of the same users- when those users are online, the just in page is flooded with their posts cuz they post one thing after another. Which is why a few people think they're just taken from other places on the internet. Sure, there's probably some people out there who think about philosophy and the economy and stuff like that all the freaking time and save their thoughts to post on here, and there's probably some people who are in a philosophical kind of mood and ideas just keep coming to them so they just keep posting them, but it's kind of strange when post after post by the same person is posted about the same subject using big ass words set in an eloquent manner you won't see in their comments if you go looking.

@Frank_n_Furter Yuppers. Ant just does the coding now.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF who is the owner now? I particularly didn't worship Ant but I sure did respect how he ran things.

@Frank_n_Furter Oliver

Is he a nice guy or what? Active with everyone at least?

@Jonesy Is he a nice guy or what? Active with everyone at least?

He doesn't have an account that I know of, but there's an account called "Amirite," but you can't send it messages unless they follow you. So, unknown to the nice guy thing. Not really to the being active thing.

Just searched "Oliver" and the "Amirite" account came up, but I still I don't know if that's him or a group account.

@Frank_n_Furter He doesn't have an account that I know of, but there's an account called "Amirite," but you can't send it messages...

My heart-a, shes-a bleeding like a-mama spilt the ragu all over da floor-a. MAMA MIA. My main a-moderator, shes-a in another castle!

Well how about the other moderators? and this whole change happened in 2011 didn't it?

@Jonesy My heart-a, shes-a bleeding like a-mama spilt the ragu all over da floor-a. MAMA MIA. My main a-moderator, shes-a...

The ones I remember quitting most are ActionMan (he posted a picture on another site, ctrl. something or rather, showing how they lied to him about another user not being allowed to be a mod again or something) and SpearmintMilk. I don't know that any of the original mods are still moderating.

I think it was earlier this year or late last year. I have a bad sense of long periods of time but it doesn't seem like it could have been as far back as 2011.

@Frank_n_Furter The ones I remember quitting most are ActionMan (he posted a picture on another site, ctrl. something or rather...

Ah well I saw a lot of the top Amiwriters stopped posting in 2011. Makes me sad to see the back stabbed ActionMan. Also I have a feeling any of this will be up at the end of the day. Also, none of these are old mods, theyre all fresh it seems.

@Jonesy Ah well I saw a lot of the top Amiwriters stopped posting in 2011. Makes me sad to see the back stabbed ActionMan...

Yeah like BreakfastFan and all them.

Found it

http://ctrlv.in/132461

If you scroll to the left you can see more. They blamed it on a technical error. It's all very shady. I had messaged a mod like 5 different times over the period of 3 months and they never responded to any of my questions. Then I said something about how they don't help and never reply, so I didn't see why they were a mod. They were just like "<replies>" and I was like uhhh, great job, then the mod told me it was an error message but they also said "I prefer to see how people engage with them rather than respond to every single one" then I contacted the site and they were basically just like "well they said it was an error message." which even if it was that doesn't really excuse deciding to just sit back and watch users. So yeah. I feel incredibly gossipy >.<

@Frank_n_Furter Yeah like BreakfastFan and all them. Found it http://ctrlv.in/132461 If you scroll to the left you can see...

I went through them all and oof......this hurts. I left amirite because I ran out of material and I sucked but knew I could return to it as a safe haven of awesome whenever I needed. They left for the exact opposite and I'm seriously heart broken here.

@Jonesy I went through them all and oof......this hurts. I left amirite because I ran out of material and I sucked but knew...

Yeah, it's pretty sad-making. I'm honestly surprised people commented expressing improvement. Although, one of them has only been here for 7 months, around the time the changed started.

Same here, but the you can always fluster people's feathers for the sake of argument. I used to laugh at that quite a bit and it was fun to delve into opinions too. Might need to make your own fun on the site haha. You are correct though. There are some very serious posts here.