+24

At the end of the day, all religions preach one thing: to be good people. Why is there so much argument on which religion is better? In fact, religion doesn't even make sense when you truly dissect it. We should all be able to go to Heaven as long as we are good people at heart

What I mean by dissecting religion is why we have to avoid things just to be part of a religion. In a lot of religions they say not to use foul language, but just because people cuss does not make them a bad person. In some religions, they say to avert your eyes when you see half-naked people on TV. Since when is appreciating a person's body going to condemn me to hell? I do understand why Christians and Catholics do go to church once a week, and it does make sense why Muslims pray five times a day, but if they didn't would that make them a bad person? I think at the end of the day if our morals are good and we didn't do anything bad like kill someone or steal or something and our good deeds outweigh the bad, then we should be able to Heaven. I would love to hear other people's opinions. Also, I don't want any arguments. Just people politely stating their views and beliefs.

bbhatti12s avatar Religion
0 31

religions do have their similarities

but the arguments stem from the differences for the most part

I've seen that even within one religion
differences between sects causes arguments

so of course there will be arguments between different religions if there are arguments about religion between people in the same faith group!

it's true that a lot of religions forbid bad words and tell you to lower your gaze

personally
I completely agree
ogling people like meat is not something good in my opinion
it just gets you frustrated and/or worse
it's also disrespectful to the person being ogled

foul language isn't good either
it's called foul for a reason

but I do agree with you when you said that people who curse or ogle others aren't automatically bad people
they may very well be good people
(cursing and ogling aren't all they do in their life
so it's a given that they may commit good actions too don't you think?)

from what I've learned about my religion
it doesn't say that makes you a bad person automatically
it provides me guidelines on how to live

if I break one specific guideline
it doesn't necessarily mean I'm a bad person
nor does it mean I'm condemned to Hell

it means that I'm human and that I do bad things sometimes
you can't expect me to do good things all day everyday

think about a thief
just because he steals doesn't mean he's bad
we don't know what's in this thief's heart

but that doesn't mean that theft by itself isn't wrong
because it is wrong

and maybe this person is horrid
It's not like we can know for sure
we can't climb into his heart and/or read the private thoughts there

same thing goes for where someone ends up in the afterlife

for the most part
we don't know who's gonna end up where

this is part of the unknown

I think this applies to all people

well there's my rant

@fuzala religions do have their similarities but the arguments stem from the differences for the most part I've seen...

I see on your profile that you are Muslim. I know a lot about Islam. I know that intention is the most important thing in the religion. If you steal something because you wanted to provide food for your family, Allah is more likely to forgive you because your intention was good. Likewise, it does make sense that people should be careful with what they say because and what they look at because it supposed to make us into a better human being. People of any religion believe that their book is the guideline to life. Was Jesus the Son of God as the Christians believe. No one will ever be a hundred percent sure. The Muslims have a prayer where they say God cannot beget anyone. That make sense to me because if Jesus died for three days who was controlling the universe? 2/3 of God?

But I am digressing. The main point of this is that I am trying to get out of this is that I think a lot of religions do say that God says that religion X is the best religion and anyone who does know about it and choose not to follow what I (God) commanded you to do in this specific religion will send you to hell. At the end of the day, I don't want people to shun religion. Whatever religion that brings you the most peace inside and the most tranquility in the world is something that you should follow. I just believe that it should be okay to have faith, but not have a religion.

@bbhatti12 I see on your profile that you are Muslim. I know a lot about Islam. I know that intention is the most important...

the very last sentence threw me off

could you elaborate?

I think all people should be allowed to have their own beliefs (freedom of religion)

and we should just respect each others' religions

that way
we can all follow different paths
but still live together more peacefully

you get what I mean?

and the whole "you're going to Hell" issue
I really don't think that's something people should be saying anyways

it's cruel and disrespectful

and at the end of the day
as I said before
that sort of information is unknown to us
the future, for the most part, is unseen

@1939580

thank you Harold

@fuzala the very last sentence threw me off could you elaborate? I think all people should be allowed to have their own...

When you said that people should be able to live peacefully regardless of what religion they are is exactly what I meant by the last sentence.

It sucks that there was so much bloodshed because people had different religions when the very religion they are fighting for preaches tolerance towards other people.

You're right by the way when you say people who say that so and so is going to Hell because you don't believe in what I say is cruel and disrespectful. I've been reading stuff on religion a lot. It always make me question if it all started with one person who just had an idea about how people should live their lives and people ran with it.

But then I think about the universe and how complex it is. Like could it have been made from another universe through a white hole. That's the science in me talking, but it leads to the question where did that universe come from and so on and so on. It does make sense to believe that their is a God or some form of higher being out there who does live outside time and space because otherwise why would we be here. That's why I wrote this post is because I feel like is religion worth it. At the end of the day all religions say to just be good people and love people and treat them the way that you want to be treated. I just feel like if I can't pick one and hope it's right. You never REALLY know. That's where faith comes in I understand that. I just hope that having faith is enough and I that I am a good enough person in God's eyes when it comes to where I go in the Afterlife.

@fuzala so what's the term you'd call yourself?

Agnostic?
IDK. I was born into the Islamic faith, and
I see how peaceful of a religion it truly is, but I just haven't been able to fully accept being a part of a religion.

@bbhatti12 Agnostic? IDK. I was born into the Islamic faith, and I see how peaceful of a religion it truly is, but I just...

ahh
I see

1. I know a guy who was Muslim as a child
2. became an agnostic atheist
3. then agnostic theist
4. studied a bunch of different religions
(Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, some Chinese religions and also Islam.)
5. and then he went back to being Muslim

@fuzala ahh I see 1. I know a guy who was Muslim as a child 2. became an agnostic atheist 3. then agnostic theist 4...

I can see what you're trying to do. Maybe my path will lead me to the same way. It's just that I feel is if someone is a good person like the person in the video that I posted in a response to freelancespeeh, then they should be able to go to Heaven because they are good people. I hope the video doesn't offend anyone. This is a very touchy subject. If the video does offend anyone then tell me and I will delete the comment.

@bbhatti12 I can see what you're trying to do. Maybe my path will lead me to the same way. It's just that I feel is if someone...

I wasn't giving you list of things to do o.O

I was gonna leave it at "ah, I see"
but that felt awkward
so I decided to add STORY TIME

plus
what you said reminded me of him

the video doesn't apply to me since I already know that I don't know where the people around me are gonna end up

I don't know about myself either

the future is a mystery

input from someone else:

"However, this doesn’t mean that every single non-Muslim is going to go to Hell. This is wrong. That’s not what we say as Muslims."

On the other hand,
"No Muslim can say that just because I’m a Muslim I’m going to Heaven, no it doesn’t work that way."

http://www.onislam.net/english/...go-heaven.html

the part where asked why do bad things happen to good people?

I'll put in input from someone else here too: http://www.onislam.net/english/...m-of-life.html

Also
the video repeatedly kept saying Christian God or God of the Bible

In the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) God is one

believers of those faiths all believe in the same God

I'm sure you're familiar with the Arabic for
"There is no god but God"

OH THIS REMINDS ME
something I commented on Mr. Z's post

http://amirite.com/758236-so-ma...l-gods/1909428

I'm gonna leave off with this:

a translation from the Qur'an

(Those who believe [in the Quran], and those who follow the Jewish [scriptures], and the Christians and the Sabians,—any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.) (Al-Baqarah 2:62)

@fuzala I wasn't giving you list of things to do o.O I was gonna leave it at "ah, I see" but that felt awkward so I...

Honestly, it is the last verse that I have read personally before which makes me believe that Islam is a really good religion. It teaches a lot of great things. It has answers on social issues to economic issues. Which is really great. Do I like all of their teachings? No. I still don't get why it is wrong to be gay in Islam and any other religion.

I have always believed that God will never put you in a situation that you can't handle. It is in those tough situation to test us on how strong our faith really is.

I love how as you believe in your religion 100% then you're okay. It shows God how merciful he really is.

You're very easy to talk to by the way. I never opened up so much about this.

@bbhatti12 Honestly, it is the last verse that I have read personally before which makes me believe that Islam is a really...

you said
"I have always believed that God will never put you in a situation that you can't handle."
I completely agree
and that is why there are many gay people who are so strong in faith
because they can handle it

I don't think it's enough to believe in your religion 100%
what's belief without practice?
I think they go hand in hand

for example,
saying "I'm part of this religion so I'm going to Heaven even though I terrorize people, harm animals, and pave destruction"

goes back to the previous quote I put up by that one guy:
""No Muslim can say that just because I’m a Muslim I’m going to Heaven, no it doesn’t work that way."

I'm glad you said that
especially since religion can be a sensitive topic

and although you may no longer be my brother in Islam
you're still my brother in humanity

@fuzala you said "I have always believed that God will never put you in a situation that you can't handle." I completely...

You know you do make a lot of sense. At the end when you said that I may not be part of Islam anymore, I don't know about that. You know, Islam is a complete religion, but with some things I may never agree on. But my absolute favorite thing about the religion that makes it worthwhile is the Five Pillars of Islam.
Like besides the first one and the fifth one, it's like a basic necessity in life to feel good about yourself. Fasting really makes you feel humble. I love fasting. Makes me feel so much closer to God. Praying salat is also a nice little reminder that God is with you. Charity is self explanatory.

And you're right, people feel like just because they are a part of a religion they are automatically sent to Heaven. We do have to work for it. If people who do believe in God, then they must know that God is all powerful and does not need anything or anyone. We must be here for some reason which is to be tested.

And honestly, if religion was not real- and what I mean is like in all actuality we did come from the Big Bang, and this is all just a coincidence that we are here right now talking through the internet- I'm glad that most if not all religions tell us to be good people at heart. I don't want to live my life being a mean and decietful person.

@bbhatti12 You know you do make a lot of sense. At the end when you said that I may not be part of Islam anymore, I don't know...

it's interesting that you mentioned the Big Bang
because someone made a post with a link called Quran miracles

http://www.quranmiracles.com/

and the Big Bang in on the front page of that link

............................................................

another thing is that I've been talking to a user on here about gay marriage
(you mentioned gay people when we were talking on this post earlier in the year)

so that got me searching more about homosexuality

I also found this group called Muslims for Progressive Values

and I read something by Dr. Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle

and it just made me confused in that he was saying things that were totally different from the view of mainstream

http://mpvusa.org/portfolio/sexuality-diversity/

it's pretty long
so in case you don't read the whole thing
I'll paste the parts that really peaked my interest
and the paste is still pretty long
but not as long

"What has led Mu[s]lims to believe that homosexuality is wrong?

There are a number of possible reasons.

•Some people feel that homosexuality is wrong because of a personal prejudice. If someone is heterosexual and only knows heterosexual people, he or she may feel that it is the only natural way to be. Without knowing any gay, lesbian or bisexual people, they may prejudge—or show prejudice—against homosexuality.
•Prejudice against homosexuality also may come from sexism. (There’s more about this, below.) [fuzala intervening: you won't see the part about sexism unless you go to the link. I didn't include it in the paste since it's already sooooooooooo long]
•Some people believe that homosexuality didn’t exist in Islamic countries until Europeans and Americans brought it there. They feel it is a kind of corruption that came from outside Islamic culture.
•Belief that homosexuality is wrong can come from trying to read the Qur’an very literally, as in the story of the Prophet Lut(PBUH).
•Some people feel that homosexuality is wrong because early Muslim scholars concluded it was. Later scholars often simply referred back to those same rulings. In that way, conclusions made centuries ago by human scholars are reinforced and continue to be followed as if they were God’s absolute truth."

[...]

Was homosexuality introduced to Islamic cultures by Europeans and Americans?

No. Records show that sexual diversity existed in Islamic civilizations from the earliest times. In fact, for a long time Christians in Europe used this against Muslims, calling them “permissive” (meaning “too liberal”) and “sodomitical” (meaning “homosexual”). This was one of the reasons Christians were determined to reconquer Spain when it was under Muslim rule. If anything, what Europeans introduced into Islamic cultures was homophobia (fear or hatred of homosexuality) and the belief that there is something “unnatural” about being gay, lesbian or bisexual.

Isn’t Islamic law the word of God?

No. It was constructed by early Muslims and based on the Qur’an, hadith (stories from the life of the Prophet) and the decisions of the early caliphs, or rulers. Islamic law also is based on culture norms, secular (non-religious) laws, and patriarchal ideas that existed before Islam and continue through to the present day.

To learn more about the basis of Islamic law, read the Literary Zikr article “Is Islamic Family Law today really based on Shari’a?” adapted from the work of Dr. Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na’im.

Isn’t Islamic law something that never changes?

No! Consider these examples:

•Muslims once assumed the Qur’an demanded that Muslims be ruled by a monarch, even though it does not say so in the Qur’an.
•Muslims once thought that slavery was part of Islam, even though the Qur’an emphasized freeing slaves.
•Many Muslims have assumed that women were inferior to men, despite the Qur’an’s verses that empower women.
In each case, Islamic law has evolved, in many places.

Can Islam accept homosexuality?

Yes. In Islam, there is a solid basis for respect and acceptance of diversity—including sexual diversity. Although historically many Muslim law-makers forbade homosexual acts, it is important to remember that Islamic law is not the word of God. Islamic law is the result of reasoning by law-makers, so the law is made by human beings. That doesn’t mean Islamic law is not important for Muslims, but it does mean that it is not a perfect reflection of what God wants for human beings. Many Muslims do not accept homosexuality because of prejudice or sexism—and many jurists share these views. As a result, it is important to continue to re-examine the shari’ah to better understand the true meaning of the Qur’an and the example of the Prophet Muhammad(PBUH). By re-examining the principles of shari’ah, scholars—along with other believers—can help recover it’s original purpose: to protect civil liberties, promote human rights and help people lead more ethical lives."

..........................................................

what he said confused me because it really conflicts with what I've been thinking for so long

Going to heaven is not based on being good. Check out what the Bible says about the matter. Going to church or being a good person does not get people in. And it is not about your good deeds outweighing your bad deeds. It is about who you know and what He did for you. All humans are sinners in the eyes of a perfect just God. He requires sinlessness and perfection to enter His heaven. Since we as humans are not capable of such, He sent the ONLY sacrifice who was able to fit the requirement - His Son, Jesus Christ. When people turn from their way to follow the way of Jesus, and put their trust in Him, then they are forgiven and can go to heaven. It is His blood and His sacrifice that will get people in.

@1939596

What does "fair" have to do with anything? Does God owe anyone anything? The Creator owes nothing to the created. It is His to do with as He chooses and pleases. Just like if you created something (a drawing, an invention, a sculpture, etc.), it would be yours to keep or destroy. God left the Bible (His Word) for us to figure out His view and how He plans to do things regarding us. He will use His Word (not ours) to settle things in the end. He won't ask if we thought He was fair.

@1939596

I can't speak for freespeech, but I believe in Purgatory. I think that agnostic would spend some time in there, and maybe the selfish guy too, and that they would eventually get to heaven. But in the end, it's all up to God.

@cookiedough I can't speak for freespeech, but I believe in Purgatory. I think that agnostic would spend some time in there, and...

The only things I know about God are in the Bible. I have never seen Purgatory in the Bible, so I have never believed it.

@freespeechfreelancer Going to heaven is not based on being good. Check out what the Bible says about the matter. Going to church or...

This is how you are kind of picturing God. And I don't like to think of God like that. I think of him as someone who is a very merciful person who understands the beliefs of other people. If people truly believe 100% that there religion is right then they should go to heaven.

@bbhatti12 This is how you are kind of picturing God. And I don't like to think of...

I watched the clip. You might want to read the Bible for yourself and form your own opinions. If the video is what you wish to hold up as your views, then best of luck with all of that. It is full of bias, stereotype, and inaccuracies. But the makers view God and the Bible that way, so I am not surprised. We all have to make our own decisions when it comes to God and Bible. I have made mine, and you have made yours. Most people have already decided on the issue. So, we all wait until the end now and see what becomes of it.

@freespeechfreelancer I watched the clip. You might want to read the Bible for yourself and form your own opinions. If the video is what...

I have studied the Bible. I went to Catholic school when I was a kid. By the way, I wasn't saying this was MY interpretation, I was saying that this is how you're making God seem. Which doesn't make sense. God is all merciful. At least that is how I believe him to be.

@bbhatti12 I have studied the Bible. I went to Catholic school when I was a kid. By the way, I wasn't saying this was MY...

He is many things with many attributes. None of them conflict with each other. He is merciful and loving, but He is also just, righteous, and demands perfection. If a person will not accept His offer and provision for the sin issue, then what alternative does He have? He does not change His rules to fit the situation. If His rules are not met His way, then His judgment and wrath will be brought upon any and all who missed His instructions.
Did what I say about God disagree with what you know to be in the Bible?

@freespeechfreelancer He is many things with many attributes. None of them conflict with each other. He is merciful and loving, but He is...

The way that they taught me in Catholic school was that God is a very fair person. God understands that we do make mistakes, but from those mistakes we do learn from them. God knows we can't be perfect. We have to strive to be perfect, but everyone knows the only human being to ever be perfect-according to the Christian and Catholic faith-that Jesus was the only perfect man. You can strive to be like him, but don't worry about a few little bumps and potholes in the way. As long as you tried your best, then God will accept you with open arms.

That's what they taught me about God.

@bbhatti12 The way that they taught me in Catholic school was that God is a very fair person. God understands that we do make...

Ok, so how can you go from that to saying ALL religions teach the same thing or that all people should go to heaven? Do all religions tell of a Jesus Christ who died to pay for the sins of the WORLD? Of course not. Do all religions have a Jesus Christ who resurrected on the 3rd day and ascended back in to heaven to sit at the right hand of His Father? Of course not. There is but ONE Savior of the world. God did not send multiple saviors - He sent His ONLY Son. Jesus Himself said: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me."
Those were His words, not mine.

where in the Bible do you find that promise made? You should never form opinions based on what anyone says, including a religious institution. Form your own beliefs BASED on the Bible. Your argument is void if it is not based on a reliable source.