+7

Trying to impose or insist that all countries have a democracy style government would be the same as trying to impose or insist they have a specific religion. Amirite?

Most people agree that they do NOT want religion crammed down their throat. But fewer agree about governmental policies and practices. Our American government is not only trying to cram more down our throats than ever before, but seeking to do the same globally. It is NOT our government's job or right to fix all the world's problems. Each country needs to be left to work out their own issues. Most of the countries that we have helped, given money or aid to, or sent weapons, hate our guts and do not appreciate what we have done. We should use our resources and our military to fix and take care of our country and get things straight here. If your own house is not in order, then you have no business telling others how to run their house.

freespeechfreelancers avatar Politics
0 7
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I disagree with the post.
I agree with the first half of you explanation
I disagree with the second half

Requiring that all countries have a participatory style government (as opposed to a totalitarian government) is not at all the same as imposing theocracy. In fact it is very much the opposite.

This bit makes sense: -> Most people agree that they do NOT want religion crammed down their throat. But fewer agree about governmental policies and practices. Our American government is not only trying to cram more down our throats than ever before, but seeking to do the same globally. It is NOT our government's job or right to fix all the world's problems. Each country needs to be left to work out their own issues.

This part about most countries hating us? Not so much. Japan, England, Germany, Israel, get the bulk of our support and do not "hate" us. Most other "aide" countries do not hate us. True that many people do hate the US but certainly not most people. The largest population centers, China and India, are at worst neutral and probably "like" us, as we send jobs and technology to them. Most moderate middle eastern and African country's governments "like" us and their people are, for the most part neutral. Extremists countries in those regions do "hate" us but those are (on a global scale) a pretty small portion.
Australia is on our side, the rest of North America is on out side and South America is split. So no, the second half of your explanation does not ring true.

In any regard the analogy in the OP is fallacious.

@VicZinc I disagree with the post. I agree with the first half of you explanation I disagree with the second...

You say you disagree with my post, but in your comments you disagree with my explanation. Which is it?
Imposing one style government on the world IS the same thing as imposing one kind of religion on the world. That is not fallacious. From what I know about your comments, you don't believe in imposing anything on anyone. So I am having trouble understanding how you can oppose my statement. I don't want to impose democracy OR religion on the rest of the world.

@freespeechfreelancer You say you disagree with my post, but in your comments you disagree with my explanation. Which is it? Imposing one...

You cannot "impose" democracy. Democracy is the removal of impositions. It is not the same as a religion, it is bringing about freedom. Imposing a religion is theocracy - it is the opposite of democracy.

I said: "Requiring that all countries have a participatory style government (as opposed to a totalitarian government) is not at all the same as imposing theocracy. In fact it is very much the opposite. "

A participatory government is democracy. You don't "impose" participation, you allow it. That is why I disagree with your post. It is a misnomer to say you can "impose democracy". By its vary definition, democracy is allowed, not imposed.

@VicZinc You cannot "impose" democracy. Democracy is the removal of impositions. It is not the same as a religion, it is...

Oh really? WE are imposing our ways on the ways of other countries. That is an imposition. Why you can't see that is beyond me. And countries do hate us in spite of your stating they all love and respect us. We are despised by many in the world, and it is because of our lack of foreign policy. We support the "bad" element as often as the "good."
We have spent billions upon billions going in to countries, fighting to ward off "evil," rebuilding towns and infrastructure, and trained entire militaries - and for what? If you would suggest that the Middle East is more stable today because of this Administration's policies, then I am in a deep deep trance.
Democracy is a CHOCE of the people, as is religion. I could have picked any topic to make my democracy comparison to, and it would have been the "same."
Religion is a CHOICE. Corrupt governments IMPOSE their will and ways on the people, just as corrupt religion does. And using your own terms, democracy and religion are allowed.

@freespeechfreelancer Oh really? WE are imposing our ways on the ways of other countries. That is an imposition. Why you can't see that...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

@1940864

Thank you for getting it!