+24

Miley Cyrus - showing young girls and women everywhere how to be the sex object they all say they don't want to be. Amirite?

Women supposedly don't want to be viewed as SEX OBJECTS in this country, and yet this is what they are getting in all the main venues every single day. Women like Miley, built their fame and image as sweet, clean, and cute little girls. But once they pass that magic age of 18, the music industry clearly defines their future through SEX and more SEX. Men do the same thing.
Quite frankly, I believe she looks and sounds desperate. She is trying to follow in the footsteps of Madonna, Brittany, Christina Aguilera, and Lady Gaga. Unfortunately, she does not have the voice, moves, or body to compete.
But where are all the Women's Liberation and Feminist Organizations? Why no outrage when a woman clearly sells herself or tries to make the image of women being cheap and a male object for the bedroom only.
Just another one of the endless hypocrisies in our society.

Miley Cyrus Twerks, Gives Robin Thicke Some Tongue At VMAs | MTV Video Music AwardsThicke also performed his new single 'Give It 2 U' with 2 Chainz and Kendrick.http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1713017/miley-cyrus-robin-thicke-vma-twerk.jhtml
freespeechfreelancers avatar Music
0 49
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The problem is people trying to argue for a whole group of people. Everyone is an individual with their own wants and needs. "Women" don't want to not be viewed as sex objects, only certain individuals want to not be viewed as sex objects. Plenty of women love being objectified and viewed as sex objects.

I know women who prefer to be called pretty, and others that prefer to be called sexy. I know women who prefer not to be complimented at all. I know women who let me be as "hands-on" as I please, and I know women who would rather I not even look at certain parts of their body. Hell, I know this one woman who would be fine showing me her nipple piercings if I wanted to look at the piercing, but elects not to because I want to see her boobs.

Everyone is their own person with their own specific and complex sets of wants and needs. The only consistency I care about between them is me treating them respectfully; in whatever way they deem "respectful".

@Mike_Hawk The problem is people trying to argue for a whole group of people. Everyone is an individual with their own wants...

And I fully understand and accept that. BUT, people in high profile and public view are leaders and role models. Miley had a HUGE following of little girls and projected a complete image of squeaky clean wholesome family friendly girl.
But that all changes once a person reaches the age of adult. The whole entertainment industry seems to be built around sex and sleaze. Everyone KNOWS it, and women are pretty much doomed in the industry if they don't show skin, take off clothes, and project that they want to sleep with every man in the audience.
Your comments address more of the day to day, living in the real world relationship aspect of the whole issue. My post is focusing more on the industry image and how women lower themselves to the sex object image just to make it and survive.

@freespeechfreelancer And I fully understand and accept that. BUT, people in high profile and public view are leaders and role models...

I don't think Miley has any "little girl" fans anymore. It's been a while since Hannah Montana has been off the air. They are at least tweens by now. The show came out when I was 10, I'm 17 now. She hasn't done anything very kid directed since HM. Why would she have kid fans now?

@BetterThanEzra1119 I don't think Miley has any "little girl" fans anymore. It's been a while since Hannah Montana has been off the...

Why is Barney still a kid favorite? Don't you think up and coming little kids discover what you already went through? How long have the Power Rangers been popular? What about Micky Mouse?

@freespeechfreelancer Why is Barney still a kid favorite? Don't you think up and coming little kids discover what you already went...

Hannah Montana has been off the air for a while. Not sure exactly how long, but at least 2 or 3 years. Anyways, I'm not sure why a little kid would be watching the VMAs. It is rated 14 and up and came on later at night, so 5 year olds probably wouldn't be watching it.

And the key word with your examples is KID. Yes, Barney is a kid show that I enjoyed when I was 3. Did I watch it when I was 7? No. 10? No. 13? Definitely not. Does the current generation of 3 year olds watch Barney? Probably. But they won't "grow up" or "grow with" the show. At an older age, they will go on to something else.

I am not saying that Mileys performance was the best. In fact, I was appalled by it. But I highly doubt she has little girl fans at this point in her career.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Hannah Montana has been off the air for a while. Not sure exactly how long, but at least 2 or 3 years. Anyways, I'm...

Like I said, many parents do not look at or give a rip about ratings. I know many little kids who get to play Teen and Adult rated video games, watch R rated movies, and are taken by their parents to R rated movies. What about the kids who are introduced to alcohol, drugs, or whatever BY the parents. In today's context, much of that is considered "cool" or "in."
The damage being done to the children however is not cool.

A little later today, I thought of this song in regards to your comments. Don't know if you have ever heard it, but what you said made me think of it. See what you think.

@1940952

Plenty of parents with little girls care! Little girls live at home and are not able to decide what they want to be or do. Most children are still instructed on what they can and can not do. There are still decent and moral people in the world who don't subscribe to openly blatant sexual displays. I wouldn't expect the average teenager to care because many of them are wrapped up in their own little world. But parents try to do their best to raise kids who are responsible and respectful.
There was a day when people kept their sexuality and sex IN THE BEDROOM and did not flaunt it to any and every person in public. And I have had teenage girls on this site in other discussions say that they do not like being viewed or treated as sex objects. So which is it? You act as if there are no mixed messages or signals being sent in society, and I am just pointing out that she has done what so many do - turn to SEX to make money.
And I love music and listen to all kinds every single day. So I am clearly NOT against the music industry. I am against a mechanism that puts pressure on people to conform or go along with an IMAGE just to sell records. And please don't tell me that you are NOT aware of many artists in the business actually NOT wanting to conform to many of the things a band "has" to do to be "successful." Most groups want the freedom to play their music - not be told what they need to do or should do to sell their product.
Your last sentence was uncalled for. My oldest child is 35, so I don't think you are in any position to say something like that to me.

@1941033

Do I sound old? The only way you KNOW I am old is if I tell you - which I did not - only the age of my oldest child. And since I can't use youth's age as them not knowing or being informed of something, you can't use old age against me.
And are you really suggesting then that Miley has no influence on thousands of girls across this country? Guess you never heard of Hannah Montana - which was mega successful. Wikipedia says that The Guinness Book Of World Records has her recorded as being the "Most Charted Teenager" in 2011.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miley_Cyrus
She also holds a record within Disney.
People don't get to mega star, actress, or singer status WITHOUT huge followings and tons of people BUYING their products and supporting their endeavors. You are trying to isolate her and act as if she is one individual who did and is doing everything completely in a bubble - and that is what you are missing here. If she was not supported and loved by thousands and millions of GIRLS, then she never would have made the impact or success level she has.
And I don't know your age, but when and if you get old enough to have children of your own, specifically GIRLS, I would love to see if your views of morality or indecency are swayed in the least. A great number of fathers don't want their daughters raised or viewed as "sluts," "tramps," "whores," or "sex objects." If you want yours to turn out that way, more power to you. I guess you support men raping little boys and girls then too since it is "just body parts." You clearly do not believe that younger children need any guidance or protection from older people who seek to prey upon or exploit them.
I KNOW based on the media outrage and internet scuttle, that she betrayed masses of fans by her actions. Once these people reach their fame and fortune, they somehow feel or believe they can and should do anything they wish, IN SPITE of their fan base. Parents are crushed for sure to see wholesome Hannah Montana turn in to sex object slutty drug abusing Miley. I watched the entire clip of her, and it was actually disgusting and un-sexy. It was raunchy and repulsive.
And you made my whole point and post by admitting Miley can't sing and HAS to use sex to sell her product now. And that is reducing herself to a SEX OBJECT. This is no different than what the rappers have done to women in all of their videos. The men are all decked out showing off their "bling," while being surrounded by women scantily clad, pretty much worshipping the rapper and his money. Regardless of what you think, that is a DENIGRATION of women and what they stand for or are all about. IF the majority of women in this country truly felt or believed this way, then the women's lib or feminist movements would have never begun or risen to such prominence. If you are not familiar with either of these movements, I suggest you read up on them and WHY they originated. One KEY element - women being viewed as SEX OBJECTS strictly existing for the pleasure of and service to MEN!

@1941087

At least you are sounding rational and reasonable now.
And finding what you suggest in society and today's culture is extremely difficult. Where does a parent go to NOT have the inundation of sex or violence? It is pretty much standard in all sitcoms, comedy, drama and action movies, video games, magazines, music, etc. It is pretty much everywhere.
There are actually parents who don't allow their children to watch TV or be on the internet at all for this very reason. But then you have the whole issue of the child growing up with the "I can't do anything everyone else is doing" thing, and they resent the parents and typically rebel in their mid to later teen years.
I don't know if you know anything about the Amish people, but they are a perfect example. They raise their children with no outside influences to or from the real world. At age 16, they turn the teens loose to go out in to society and try any and every thing they wish. Since they have never smoked, drank, got in to music, had sex, or tried drugs, many of them hit it hard and fast and develop addictions. They stay out in society until they decide for their life if they want to go back to the Amish community and live that way for the rest of life, OR, they cut loose from the community altogether and go their own way.
I threw in the rape of kids because you seemed to indicate that nothing matters and there should be no morals - public sexuality is just body parts. Little children need some kind of guidelines, instruction, direction, and protection until they at least reach an age they can think and decide for themselves. But in the mean time, they are extremely impressionable and ARE being influenced and enticed by the teen stars of the day. Miley has way more influence in one day than you or I will probably have in our lifetime. And "to whom much is given, much is required" [quote from the Bible].
And there are men and women all around us who see absolutely nothing wrong with what I said about children having sex with adults. What do you think child porn, molestation, incest, and groups like NAMBLA advocate? They are for little children being allowed to engage in consensual sex with grown adults!
Do you realize how many little kids are growing up playing the Adult video games, watching R and X rated movies, and being daily exposed to drug abuse and physical abuse? It really is an epidemic in our culture.
I do agree that parents play the biggest role in this whole issue, but where are the parents these days? Both (if there even are 2) out working trying to make ends meet and provide for the household. Many homes are made up of single parents, so they typically work 2-3 jobs just to get by. The children are being raised by day care and the school system. Parents have very little contact or influence in how children are turning out these days.
But at some point, the industry needs to own up to their part in the whole scheme of things. People still enjoy wholesome movies and decent music. They could have their wild party lives on their time and in their leisure, and still produce a product that was more "user friendly" or "family friendly."

@1941145

Ok then. We will let this discussion dwindle down. You have some good solid ideas about how it SHOULD work, but like many things in life or the real world, theory and application are worlds apart. Knowing how you want to raise a child and saying they will turn out that way is not that simple.

@1941273

And you will find that is a growing trend among more and more younger people. They are opting NOT to have children because of the work involved and because they don't believe that more children should have to be brought in to the messes this world offers. I have 3 sons and 1 daughter (35, 33, 23, 19). The 2 oldest are boys, and they don't want children. The 23 yr. old is gay, so no children to worry about. I don't know what the daughter wants, but I don't think she is looking for any children.

@1941420

Yes and No. There is a lot of joy and happiness, but tons of pain and sorrow. The younger years are the easiest and the teen years were the hardest. I have heard all of mine tell me that they have no idea how I did it on my low income. I was personally at each of their births, and no 2 children are alike. What works for or with one, does not work with or for the other.
If they all came with instruction manuals and "how to" guides for every step or phase of the upbringing, it would be much easier. But it is all trial and error - learn as you go training and experience.

@1941490

That made it all worthwhile then.

@1941033

I see what your saying for the most part. But the reason "flaunting ones sexuality in public is immoral or indecent" and often ridiculed, is because it's easy. It's cheap to play the sex card for popularity and validation because it's a basic human function that carries an intense emotional and phyisical response and is naturally occurring in all humans. For someone to be primarily about sex is one dimensional considering humans are a lot more advanced emotionally, intellectually, and physically than any other species; and also since it's required for us to keep living.

In Society, I can see where being more open about sex is important (to prevent discrimination, violence, STDs etc) but we also need discretion and respect. Our culture is starting to become a bit dumbed down from all of the cheap sex sell out debacle.

@1941146

People have every right to judge. She's presenting herself in a sexual way and if they don't like it, then that's their prerogative; as it is her's to act like it. If someone presents themselves as primary all sex, I'm not going to believe there's much else there. That's why promiscuous people get ragged on for the most part. It's one dimensional and there's no substance to that behavior. But it'll be good if all I'm interested in is sex at that moment.

Miley and the like, could just take a hiatus and become inspired, learn an instrument, write some new and different music. She could go on to be something worth listening and watching, which would garner true respect from her audience because she's actually doing something. Instead she chose to pull out the dusty, wrinkled sex card like most performers for instant viewership. I'm not against being sexy though. But she really went overboard on this and really can't pull it off anyway in my opinion.

@1941274

True, true. The funny thing is the more we talk about them, negatively or positively, they'll just keep doing it. But honestly, celebrities and artists do have an influence on the public. Art can be a depiction of the world at that moment, or the world can be influenced by the art. Regardless of what this situation is, it speaks something about how we are as people, how we think, what we value. However judging by the dissaproval of Miley's performance, I'd say we're not that bad.

@freespeechfreelancer Plenty of parents with little girls care! Little girls live at home and are not able to decide what they want to be...

Hi! When I was 5-7 years old, Britney Spears was my favorite singer. I knew all her songs, had all her CDs, watched her music videos. And this started at the "Oops! I'm wearing a tight spandex body suit!" Phase all the way through the "I'm Not a Girl, let me prove it by showing as much skin as possible and singing about sex" era and ending somewhere around the "This song is called Toxic because you will get herpes from watching me grind all up on this guy in the video" period. I still love Britney's songs, but in no way am I like the way she expressed herself. I am not promiscuous, I do not show my belly button in public unless I am swimming, I have not shaved my head, and I have not flipped off anybody in my life, and I certainly have not had sex with a random guy in an airplane restroom.

But I guess I'm the execption, right? Because every girl who ever listened to Britney Spears music has grown up to be just like her, right?

@freespeechfreelancer So is your point that entertainers play no role in having any influence over us at all?

No, that is not my point.

I believe you are a role model whether you choose to embrace it or not.
However, you also get to choose your own actions. Celebrities can't make you twerk or do drugs or whatever. YOU get to choose YOUR own actions. Stop blaming celebrities. It's just plain lazy.

@BetterThanEzra1119 No, that is not my point. I believe you are a role model whether you choose to embrace it or not. However, you...

You make it sound like celebrities have ZERO influence or persuasion over their fan base. If what you say is true, then why do so many fans want to dress, act, and look like their favorite "idols?" Just because you did not choose to follow in Brit's exact footsteps, does not mean she had no influence over your life. If you learned all the words to every song, then obviously what she was singing was important to you. You probably wanted to dress like her at some point, and probably imitated her around the house.
Also, most celebs start perfume/cologne lines, clothing lines, make-up lines, etc. And who do you think is buying all those products? People just like YOU who say that they had/have absolutely no sway over your life! And just the FACT that you stated you owned every single CD she came out with is proof enough that she influenced you to the point to get your money so she could become rich, famous, and more slutty.

@freespeechfreelancer You make it sound like celebrities have ZERO influence or persuasion over their fan base. If what you say is true...

I never said thwy don't have any influence at all. Go back, read what I really wrote instead of just looking for a way you can argue again.

@BetterThanEzra1119 I never said thwy don't have any influence at all. Go back, read what I really wrote instead of just looking for a...

I did and you made it sarcastically clear that YOU do not twerk, take drugs, shave your head, expose your belly button in public (unless swimming), don't flip people off, and don't have random sex in airplane restrooms. All of that insinuated and made it clear that Britney had NO influence on you and did not cause you to turn out to be like her! Someone needs to argue with you because your logic is weak and faulty.
Unfortunately, there are plenty who WANT to do exactly as she has done and who follow and hang on her every action and line. Why the hell do you think reality T.V. is so popular? MTV showcases tons of shows geared to teens that glamorize and popularize all kinds of things. How about the Jackass series. Any teenager ever try anything they saw in those movies? No way.
I stopped at a McDonalds on my way to work today. A mother came in with 2 little boys no older than 4-5 yr. old. I think they were brothers, but not sure. Anyway she was in line and I was sitting at a table eating. The boys were running around jumping on chairs and benches like they all do where I live, and the youngest jumped in a chair and started singing "I'm so sexy" over and over.
Now you and all your teenage friends or teens on this site may think that is cool and hip, but I thought it was quite unbelievable that a boy that age was running around singing such. Do you think for a second he even understood the implications? Do you think his mother taught him that? I highly doubt it. SO, that means he either got it from a song or a movie. My bet is a song. And the song was written and performed by an artist. One teenager on here suggests that the industry has no responsibility whatsoever when it comes to the product they sell. He says the parents alone are fully responsible for how their children turn out. Bravely said from a teenager who has no clue about raising children. But for a guy who has raised 4, I saw the impact that every thing my kids saw or heard had on them. Any thing that is big, new, or hot with little kids gets its own clothing, lunch box, school gear line of whatever. It sells big time. The same is true with teens. Advertisers, Artists, and Actors/Actresses KNOW what most people want and they play to it for the one thing they want from you - MONEY! In the entertainment world, all that matters is RATINGS and ALBUM SALES. That is what makes everyone rich and happy in that industry. Every CD or concert ticket sold is lining the artist's pockets with green.
My overall point was: if a child star gains a huge child following and makes herself filthy rich from it, she has a responsibility to those fans as she ages. She made her fame and fortune by being sweet, clean, and innocent. She was family friendly and a household word. NOW, she has changed in to this cheap, nasty, sleezy, druggie who wants to sell out as some street corner prostitute. If you think that is appropriate, then fine. I don't, and is the reason I made the post. Miley can live any way she chooses, but her fans can choose to continue supporting or rejecting her "new" image. There is such a thing as age appropriateness for every thing. We don't allow children to drink, smoke, engage in sex, or do other adult behaviors because it is not appropriate.

@freespeechfreelancer I did and you made it sarcastically clear that YOU do not twerk, take drugs, shave your head, expose your belly...

I just did a Youtube search for "I'm so sexy" and came up with this Twiharder, which is a Twilight parody. If this is where the song came from, still very inappropriate for a 4-5 yr. old.
http://www.altfg.com/blog/movie...ler-twiharder/

You seem like an all or nothing person. Talk to me again when there's a chance you might try and see things from another person's point of view. Until then, you're not worth it.

@BetterThanEzra1119 You seem like an all or nothing person. Talk to me again when there's a chance you might try and see things from...

And you seem like a very smug know it all bitchy kind of a person. I did not talk to you to begin with and I did not ask for your opinion. I made the post because it was MY opinion. I am worth far more than you will ever comprehend. Next time, pick on some little tween who doesn't know anything. Then you just might be able to compete and keep up.

To be honest, Miley is being made fun of all over the internet to the point that it's annoying to browse through a feed on any page and see her. Her reputation definitely decreased because of this event so I can't really see many girls looking up to her and saying, "hey! I wanna do that so people can make fun how stupid I looked!"

@StickCaveman To be honest, Miley is being made fun of all over the internet to the point that it's annoying to browse through a...

Even if someone was supporting selling the sex image, they'd still be offended at Miley's performance because of how horribly executed it was. If you're going to be sexy, at least do it right like Britney or Christina.

@StickCaveman Or Lady Gaga. She was wearing a thong but was still classy.

Classy maybe isn't the word I would choose, but she didn't do anything very sexual or outrageous.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Classy maybe isn't the word I would choose, but she didn't do anything very sexual or outrageous.

I just chose classy because I consider it to be the opposite of trashy--which is what I consider Miley's performance to have been. To further compare the two: Lady Gaga was more of a sex symbol, while Miley Cyrus was like an obnoxious kid in the restaurant that ruins everybody's experience.

@StickCaveman I just chose classy because I consider it to be the opposite of trashy--which is what I consider Miley's...

Funny you put it that way since everybody here is saying that Miley was the sex symbol. But I think I like your "annoying kid" analogy much better.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Funny you put it that way since everybody here is saying that Miley was the sex symbol. But I think I like your...

A lot of times, I don't even read what everyone else is saying. Especially comments over 500 words. haha

I get what the other commenters are saying but do agree it was a poor choice and that she failed to consider her audience and the ramification of her actions.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply

It was a really gross performance. I think that she's trying to prove to people that she's not a little kid anymore, but she's been going beyond provocative and into disgusting, and that is going to make her lose a lot of fans.

Yea

Sextalkbja12s avatar Sextalkbja12 Yeah You Are 0Reply

This girl went from Hannah Montana, the girl that all the young girls loved and wanted to be like, to wearing no clothes and showing her ass to the world. Yeah, that's some role model!

mcatheys avatar mcathey Yeah You Are 0Reply
@freespeechfreelancer She will always be a role model - Unfortunately, she has decided to change which kind.

It's like what Taylor Swift says. You're a role model whether you choose to embrace it or not.