+71

Just because you remember something doesn't ' mean you understand it.

Exists avatar
0 6

This is so true. There's this guy, I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but he's in my group of friends. I'd say he matches this (kind of a pseudo intellectual) and is always trying to get the upper hand of being smart in a conversation. I'm currently taking a BSc undergrad in physics and tries to make me look like an idiot in front of people by quizzing me on physics. He'll basically read a Wikipedia article on a subject and memorize it just so he can show me and others how much he knows (or doesn't rather). Quite an annoyance.

@This is so true. There's this guy, I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but he's in my group of friends. I'd say...

I know what you mean theres lots of people who think just because they can remember a few lines of something they understand it completely, but like a wise man once said you don't understand something until you can explain it with simplicity."

@Exist I know what you mean theres lots of people who think just because they can remember a few lines of something they...

Isn't that what you're post meant though?

Intelligence is so much more than regurgitating the writing of a text book or online article. I can see a partial exception for this is if you're a historian and areas of anthropology since you do have to remember important dates and events.

Only a full understanding of things comes with studying and experience in dealing with problems with which you apply the right tools and concepts to solve them. Yes the theories are important, and you must know them firsthand. But to understand them you have to conceptualize them in your head.

If this guy sat in front of a physics problem, he wouldn't know what to do, or why we'd use this tool (formula, math application, theoretical knowledge) to solve.

A true intellectual is genuinely interested and doesn't share knowledge for reasons to gain social status. They do so to broaden and spread knowledge to others and even learn more themselves.

However I get what you mean about simplicity. Some of my favorite programs are Daily Planet, and recently the YouTube channel, Vsauce as they are excellent in delivering complex knowledge in understandable and entertaining ways. But viewing them doesn't necessarily make you a genius in the subject. More of an enlightened layperson.

@Isn't that what you're post meant though? Intelligence is so much more than regurgitating the writing of a text...

Very nicely put. It's just annoying when people go around quoting stuff arrogantly just to sound like a know it all.

Thanks to you too for adding on and sharing information.