What do you think a government should be responsible for?

What parts of life should the government govern? Do you think a government should be responsible for housing? The economy? Education? This is also includes people. Do you think the government should be responsible for the homeless, for example, by providing them food, shelter, and employment? Do you think that children should be covered through government programs? (If their parent/guardian is unable to care for them for some reason)

These are all just examples, but you should include anything that you think the government should/shouldn't be responsible for.

rilaras avatar Politics
0 11

Maintaining law and order, and protecting the rights of its citizens. Foreign policy and common defense.

Enforcing laws and creating laws that are voted on by the people before they are passed. Not having someone "represent them" and vote on it. Each individual of legal voting age gets to vote on it.

@fuzala that only works in a country with very few people I would say

Why would you say that? Everybody says that but nobody's given me a good enough reason to convince me that it wouldn't work with 300 million people

@pb55020 Why would you say that? Everybody says that but nobody's given me a good enough reason to convince me that it...

I think you're talking about a true democracy

"Inefficiency and Impracticality: The larger democracies get, the more difficult voting and vote tallying becomes, and the democracies become subject to voter fraud. Also, democracies can suffer from voter intimidation or retaliation, thus taking away from their true democratic nature. The biggest problem, however, of democracy seems less heinous but is actually more problematic: inefficiency. The larger a human system gets, the less realistic it is for each person to vote on a decision. Even in very small democracies, there can be a serious problem with keeping people informed of and interested in the issues at hand."

http://cazort.net/topic/democracy

there's more to it from that link if you look at the cons and whatnot

@fuzala I think you're talking about a true democracy "Inefficiency and Impracticality: The larger democracies get, the...

Well it's still better than a democracy in which the people voices are not heard by the people they vote to represent them, who are instead more worried about the opinions of the members of their respective political party. A lot of Congress had their own interest in mind and not the interest of the people they're representing.

@fuzala how is it better?

To be clear, I'm in favor of preferential voting, not first past the post. First past the post makes it to where, no matter how many parties you start off with, it will almost always lead down to two, like it has in America with Repubs and Democrats. The representative system (since it is based off first past the post except each vote is proportional) tends to do the same. With preferential voting, it is much less likely to lead this way since you rank your candidates, meaning you won't be scared to waste your vote on a candidate with no chance to win in the current system, seeing as that vote will be transferred to your second favorite candidate. It's better because it doesn't restrict your options in candidate elections. You can vote for whoever and still feel like you vote wasn't wasted by voting independent or green part or whatever party you stand for. There's a great series on YouTube about different voting options and their pros and cons. I can find it for you if you'd like?

@fuzala that would be cool

This person has a lot on voting. This first video just explains the negatives of the electoral college.

@pb55020 To be clear, I'm in favor of preferential voting, not first past the post. First past the post makes it to where...

I thought you were talking about a form of government in which people could decide (vote) on issues electronically in near real-time. You could represent yourself! How crazy would that be?

While I like the thought, I wouldn't want technology to play such a decisive role in the state.