GOOD music and TRUE love, which is the more abstract term?

I'd like to know what others think about abstract terms, and to see how people view the term "abstract"

25% Good Music 30% True Love 35% Both are abstract, and therefore neither can be measured in terms of abstractness, or any other form of measurement. 10% Other
Ethans avatar Life
0 19

when I think of abstract
I think of something that the five senses don't pick up

you can hear music
there's touch involved too
the way deaf people are able to play music
but you can't hear, touch, etc. with love

you just feel it
it's harder to prove it
can you even prove it?

then you put in good and true
so I don't know about that

I'm just talking about music and love by themselves
so I would say music is less abstract

fuzalas avatar fuzala True Love 0Reply

Music and Love are concrete because both have physical existences. Both are real and experienced by most people in the world. Abstract makes it sound as if they are just something in people's heads and are not tangible.

@Ethan That's why I said TRUE love and GOOD music. There is no true definition for either.

There is to each and every person who has experienced and enjoys either or both.

@freespeechfreelancer There is to each and every person who has experienced and enjoys either or both.

..Is that not why it's abstract? Since you can't quantify how good or true something is.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Both are abstract, and therefore neither can... +1Reply
@Wunderscore ..Is that not why it's abstract? Since you can't quantify how good or true something is.

Every individual knows what is good or true to and for themselves. I may not know what those are for you, but I damn sure know what they are to and for me. I can define good music and true love to my complete satisfaction and understanding. So that makes it concrete. You may not agree with what my definition of good music or true love is, but then, you don't have to. You only have to find those things out for your own benefit and pleasure.

@freespeechfreelancer Every individual knows what is good or true to and for themselves. I may not know what those are for you, but I...

"existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence" is the definition of the adjective "abstract." In what way are "true" and "good" not merely ideas?

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Both are abstract, and therefore neither can... 0Reply
@Wunderscore "existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence" is the definition of the...

If I hear "good" music, and recognize it as such, did that not involve my senses beyond thought or an idea? Yes, it involved my ears - which last time I checked, are on my head, working well, and concrete. The idea has become a daily reality for me, because I do in fact, enjoy listening to good music every single day. Many times I sing along, tap my feet, and may even move and wave my hands around. More concrete examples.
The same applies for "true" love. The concept and idea of love are just that - but they can be translated to concrete ACTIONS and DISPLAYS of anything the heart feels or the mind thinks. I can say words of love out of my mouth that are concrete. I can buy a bunch of flowers, give a card, go on a picnic, hold hands, kiss, and on and on and on..........all concrete displays of what I have decided and believe true love to be.
And I already knew the definition of abstract, so that is WHY I challenged the post to begin with. Music and love are NOT subjective or abstract - they are in fact, concrete!

@freespeechfreelancer If I hear "good" music, and recognize it as such, did that not involve my senses beyond thought or an idea? Yes, it...

I'm not stupid. I know that sound, motion, whatever are concrete things. "Good" is not concrete, tangible, or physical. It's awesome that you like to do those things, but I don't really care and they don't really matter in concern to this conversation. Then the actions aren't abstract. But the live itself is. ACTIONS and DISPLAYS are not love; they are ACTIONS and DISPLAYS of love. Nobody, that I'm aware of, is arguing that music isn't concrete or subjective. In what way are "good" "true" and "love" not subjective? You may think that x is good and I may not. Your "true" may be different from mine. How you feel about love may be different than mine. So, again, these concepts are neither tangible nor objective.

@freespeechfreelancer As usual, you are contentious, disagreeable, and always right!

What do you expect me to do when you, as usual, are off topic?

@Wunderscore What do you expect me to do when you, as usual, are off topic?

I expect you to argue aimlessly over things without substance or importance. I give you concrete examples and reasons for why I make a comment, but you have a "reason" why mine are not applicable. So, please, by all means, be right and hang on tightly to your abstract nothingness. I know what I am talking about, whether you ever get it or agree. I am enjoying concrete good music and true love. If you are not, and think it is impossible or irrelevant, then I can't help you. But you will never convince me that good and true are abstract.

@freespeechfreelancer I expect you to argue aimlessly over things without substance or importance. I give you concrete examples and...

So I'm the one desperately clinging to my beliefs when you will never be convinced besides yours? Okay.

I'm not always right. But if someone's not going to defend their claims or give me a reason to doubt mine, I'm not going to. I'm open to changing my mind, but someone's not going to change it by doing nothing.

@Wunderscore So I'm the one desperately clinging to my beliefs when you will never be convinced besides yours? Okay. I'm not...

Good girl...........oh, and that good is subjective and abstract - therefore making it non-qualifying or relevant. No such thing as good food, good sex, good people, good days, good jobs. And everything you have said is true, but since true is subjective and abstract, then nothing you have said is true. Your attempt to say that "good" or "true" in front of music or love logically leads to neither being concrete qualifiers of fact or objectivity. If good or true can not be put in front of music or love and make them real or concrete, then those words can not be placed in front of any combination of words to form or imply concrete anything.
You seem to enjoy grasping at straws, while I tend to enjoy substance. I more than defend my claims - over and over with illustration and example. But for whatever reason, you don't see where I am coming from. And that is perfectly ok with me. I am not searching or grasping for a new meaning of good music or true love. Why would I? If you have found and experienced something (concrete and objective), why would you look for something different with less meaning or tangibility?
The OP wanted me or any reader to choose between two "abstract" terms - and I am not convinced that either term is abstract. You have done nothing to sway my original statement or thoughts on the matter.

@freespeechfreelancer Good girl...........oh, and that good is subjective and abstract - therefore making it non-qualifying or relevant...

That's very true.
I'm the one grasping at straws? You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but I was thinking the contrary. I don't see where you're coming from because you never talk about what I do. I make a comment and you sprout an idea from left field. Okay. That is your opinion. But you tend to contradict yourself an awful lot.