+15

Money begets power begets money, amirite?

In my state of New York there will be a referendum on the November ballot to permit commercial casino gambling. For some reason, the wording of the original ballot was changed. It might have to do with the fact that the governor and legislature received over $1 million in campaign contributions from gambling interests. Coincidence?

The original wording:
The purpose of the proposed amendment to section 9 of article 1 of the constitution is to allow the Legislature to authorize and regulate up to seven casinos. If approved, the amendment would permit commercial casino gambling in New York state.

The updated wording:
The purpose of the proposed amendment to section 9 of article 1 of the constitution is to allow the Legislature to authorize up to seven casinos in New York state for the legislated purpose of promoting job growth, increasing aid to schools and permitting local governments to lower property taxes through revenues generated.

http://online.wsj.com/article/A...0602697e6.html

PhilboydStudges avatar Politics
1 4
The voters have decided that PhilboydStudge is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I just came here to say this

I CAN'T STAND GAMBLING

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply

yup

C_ZAR1s avatar C_ZAR1 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't gamble but I have no problem with others gambling. The problem I see with gambling is that it always seems like only certain idividuals or groups are allowed to have casinos. We have casinos in two towns in Colorado. Gambling is restricted to those towns only, and both are mountain towns. It doesn't matter how much money some people have, if they aren't connected with the right people they will never get a gaming permit. Then you have the Indians who can have casinos but nobody else in their states can.
Hell, the same goes for legalized marijuana here in Colorado. In most towns and cities here, it is still illegal to "sell" it, and it's all but impossible to get a permit to sell if you aren't connected.