0

One of the toughest questions to answer about evolution is "If we evolved from monkeys, why are monkeys still around?", because you can't stop laughing long enough to answer the question, amirite?

For 150 years, evolutionary biologists have been unaware of the existence of monkeys. Recently, through the great work of people who know absolutely nothing about evolution, the existence of monkeys has been revealed to evolutionary biologists disproving the entire theory of evolution and the big bang (somehow?) once and for all. It's quite amazing that such a simple oversight eluded some of the greatest thinkers for over a century. They didn't even check to see if monkeys were still around. Wow! Stupid biologists.

JimiHendrixs avatar Jokes & Humour
3 33

we didn't evolve from monkey we evolved from a common ancestor with monkeys! agh!

@gbgkgdgfu we didn't evolve from monkey we evolved from a common ancestor with monkeys! agh!

common ancestor which is a different primate, but would anyway be called "a monkey".
So we evolved from monkeys that were not those currently existing, as well as the currently existing monkeys do.
I agree with you.

Found this one in a newspaper, hope they weren't being serious...

What? Monkeys? What is this nonsense?

@LeyTheFlea What? Monkeys? What is this nonsense?

Those furry humanoids in Planet of the Apes, I believe.
They seem about as human as us, except for a few anatomical features.
Fiction, however.

I'm going to post links and see what sticks. I'm doing this to know more about the theory. I see it a lot more often on here now, and it's hard to debate about something you don't know much about, which is the case for me. I don't know much about evolution so teach me guys, and let me know if there are any fallacies in the following link.

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

@Thank you. I got another one. http://www.theguardian.com/scie...uman-evolution

If you're really interested, go read about it. I have no desire to teach anyone about evolution.

@If you're really interested, go read about it. I have no desire to teach anyone about evolution.

Well I said guys. That's plural so I was hoping anyone could help me. I replied to your comment only because you were the only one who replied. I have also been reading about it, and that is one way I come across links.

I was wondering if anyone could find any fallacies in the most recent link. I went anon at first because I was ashamed of how little I knew, but I just don't care anymore.

Again, I'm not an expert on the topic so it would be easy for me to fall for false information. That is why I asked for help. To prevent that.

Frankly, I don't appreciate your tone at all. I found it to be very rude and dismissive. Maybe not what you intended, but that's how I viewed it. If you don't have a desire to teach me, then do not do it.

You seem to have no problem trying to teach another user about evolution so I figured "Why should I be any different?"

I have this policy:
http://www.amirite.com/759058-a...lous-you-think

Again, I asked since I don't have much knowledge of evolution, it would be easy for me to fall prey to false information. This is really obvious from the first link I posted.

Plus, I learn better when I'm actively involved instead of passively reading.

If anyone wants to help, that would be super.
Hmmph

@fuzala Well I said guys. That's plural so I was hoping anyone could help me. I replied to your comment only because you...

Sorry. I'm bored of explaining evolution. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Look for info from biologists. Try university websites. That's your best bet at getting accurate objective info. Stay away from blogs, opinion pieces, etc.

@Sorry. I'm bored of explaining evolution. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Look for info from biologists. Try...

I've been watching documentaries from National Geographic and BBC and whatnot

they explained things with lice
never would've figured lice would be included

it's a lot easier to absorb than pages of words
..................................................
I know you're tried of talking about it
especially after talking about the whole topic a bajillion times in the past few weeks
but I'm gonna need you to explain the second article
(the one with fossils found in Georgia)
because the videos are from February/March of this year

and the article was edited the day I posted it on here

and if not you
anybody else who knows something about this stuff

or just give me another link that relates

@fuzala I've been watching documentaries from National Geographic and BBC and whatnot they explained things with lice...

The article only mentions that we may have got the timeline of human evolution wrong. This is not unusual in evolutionary biology. We branched of from ape-like ancestors earlier than we previously thought. That doesn't change much. Except that some previously thought ancestors of ours may not be our ancestors after all. They may be cousins, like chimps.

We don't have a perfect models for evolution. That's expected because of the requirements for fossilization we're probably missing thousands of species. Interestingly, Darwin barely used the fossil record when he presented the theory.

@JimiHendrix The article only mentions that we may have got the timeline of human evolution wrong. This is not unusual in...

oh I gotcha

the article seems like it's for laymans like me

I wish they said that instead of putting me on a monkey chase

GET IT?
BAHAHA

I know they pretty much said what you said
I just didn't fill in the spots

thanks yet again

@fuzala oh I gotcha the article seems like it's for laymans like me I wish they said that instead of putting me on a...

No problemo. Sorry again for earlier. This place has made me cynical about peoples desire to learn about evolution. If you have questions I'll try my best to answer. I'm no expert though.

what's your stance on evolution though?

@JimiHendrix No problemo. Sorry again for earlier. This place has made me cynical about peoples desire to learn about evolution...

ah it's alright
I think I overreacted a bit

..................................

hmm
no one has ever asked me that before
I'm still pretty ignorant about evolution

evolution seems like a broad, complex topic
there's more than one way to define it

I see that the evidence for evolution is piling up
so I have no problem carefully considering it
especially since it's the unifying theory of modern biology

@fuzala ah it's alright I think I overreacted a bit .................................. hmm no one has ever asked me that...

What I think causes the confusion is that everyone has their own definition which is why they can't understand the evidence. There is only one biological definition. I'm surprised, but fair answer.

@JimiHendrix What I think causes the confusion is that everyone has their own definition which is why they can't understand the...

what's the one biological definition?

I assumed there was more than one

aaand
what's so surprising?

@fuzala what's the one biological definition? I assumed there was more than one aaand what's so surprising?

I learned this not so long ago. Evolution is any genetic change in a group that is passed down over generations.

no offense but many religious people tend to consider evolution bullshit and unscientific. Its been a while since I've seen a religious person at least acknowledge that its science.

@JimiHendrix I learned this not so long ago. Evolution is any genetic change in a group that is passed down over generations...

I was looking at the history of evolutionary thoughts and some other stuff

and it seems like it wasn't just religious reasons

there seemed to be social and political pressures that led people to reject
and I think that those pressures play a part today too

"This was not easy since the idea of evolution had been strongly associated with radical scientific and political views coming out of post-revolutionary France. These ideas were widely considered to be a threat to the established social and political order."
http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_2.htm

and again here:

"As the terrors of the French Revolution developed into the Napoleonic Wars, followed by economic depression threatening revolution in Britain itself, such subversive ideas were rejected, associated only with radical agitators."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi...on_controversy

evolution also made some feel as if they're not special anymore

they didn't want to be seen as just another animal
.....................................................
History of evolutionary thought:

"Evolutionary thought, the conception that species change over time, has roots in antiquity, in the ideas of the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Chinese as well as in medieval Islamic science."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi...ionary_thought

History of the creation-evolution controversy:

"Although the history of evolutionary thought dates back to Aristotle in Europe (1st century BCE), and Taoism in Asia, and the history of evolutionary thought in Christian theology dates back to Augustine of Hippo (4th century) and Thomas of Aquinas (13th century), the current Creation-Evolution controversy originated in Europe and North America in the late 18th century."

.....................................

so why is it that there's a history of religious philosophy that anticipated evolution long before Darwin, yet many religious people today/recent past just don't see it as valid?

@fuzala I was looking at the history of evolutionary thoughts and some other stuff and it seems like it wasn't just...

People often have the idea that Darwin came up with evolution, when in fact all he did wad collect the most amount of evidence proving it. The idea existed long before him. As to why, religious people don't see it valid. I think it has to do with feeling special and not just being another animal. Humans are arrogant in general, so we dont want to think of ourselves as animals.

@Handymanny But, even Darwin himself said it was just a theory.

I've read that it is described as a fact and theory
and there's been more evidence since Darwin's passing

Darwin's lifetime was in the 1800s

"To the public, theory can mean an opinion or conjecture ("it's only a theory"), but in the scientific world it has a much stronger connotation of 'well-substantiated explanation'."

"Evolution as fact and theory"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ev...act_and_theory

also
think about gravity
gravity is a theory too
but it's more than just a theory
it is a theory

evolution is a legit theory
it's more than just a theory

"...theories change frequently as new evidence is discovered. Instead of being discarded due to new evidence, theories are often revised to include the new evidence in their explanation."
http://thehappyscientist.com/sc...-theory-or-law

then again
WHAT THE FREAK DO I KNOW?
I've only started exploring the topic just a couple of days ago
....................................

oh by the way
what are your views on evolution?

After the monkeys thing, this is the second dumbest statement that is made about evolution.

@JimiHendrix After the monkeys thing, this is the second dumbest statement that is made about evolution.

because calling someone's statement/thoughts dumb always goes well and totally enlightens the person

@JimiHendrix People often have the idea that Darwin came up with evolution, when in fact all he did wad collect the most amount...

I found that another reason was that some thought Darwin was racist

and that his thoughts would be used in favor of ethnic cleansing and killing off the disabled

misinformation in general is a reason

"Humans are arrogant in general"

It has to do with maintaining power and unity of the people. If everyone agreed that we are animals with no purpose on Earth, that we'll die anyway and nothing has consequences... There was a risk for the people in power (who btw justified their position with religious reasons), and for culture and what we could call humanity. We need a drive and a purpose.
So while I agree this is the source of the "arrogance" you're talking about, the way you said it doesn't convey quite the same idea.

Unrelated note, Friedrich Engels was inspired by Darwin's writings. Just something I found interesting.

Wait? You mean the ones in Congress? But they looked just like humans.

Humankind never evolved, we just adapted.

@Handymanny Humankind never evolved, we just adapted.

How does that even? You mean that human organisms changed their genetic makeup during their lifetime until we got to the way we are today? No, the theory (which btw is different from a hypothesis) says that over time, natural selection favors traits which are more fit for reproduction, as more offspring will survive due to having those favorable traits in their genes.

Anonymous