+35

Getting addicted to a person can be more dangerous than getting addicted to any other thing.

valentineleos avatar Relationships
0 24

no it cant be more dangerous than some hard drug heavy addiction...but it can help you make an ass of yourself XD

Very interesting post. I never really thought about this, but my initial thought is maybe not MORE, but at least AS. Being addicted to drugs, alcohol, and gambling are extremely dangerous and even life threatening. Being addicted to the wrong person can be those things as well. All addictions involve emotions, feelings, physical, and mental - so the danger factor is there. I would like to hear more of your own thoughts about this.

@freespeechfreelancer Very interesting post. I never really thought about this, but my initial thought is maybe not MORE, but at least...

my knowledge is too small as compared to your age and experience.
What i think is:
In childhood, a person is pampered and kissed by everyone and gets everyone's attention, but as he grows, this affection becomes lesser.
Ultimately, the person gets the affection back when he finds a partner.
The partner/girlfrnd hugs him, kisses him and all the stuff that he had in childhood. The person gets so much used to his partner that he cant live a single second without her. He gets addicted to her.

@valentineleo my knowledge is too small as compared to your age and experience. What i think is: In childhood, a person is...

That helps me understand your track of thought much better. I would suggest that not all children grow up as you described. Probably half or more don't. With divorce still hovering at around 50% of all marriages, half of all children grow up in either single parent homes, or homes that have multiple partners floating in and out of the home. And with this comes exposure to drug abuse, sexual abuse, verbal and emotional abuse, and physical abuse. The news is loaded with stories every single day of children who are being molested or beaten by their guardians.
These children are not getting hugged, kissed, and pampered. They are living in hell and just trying to survive. I do understand why psychologists tell us that when damaged or hurt people enter in to relationships, it is easy for them then to repeat the behaviors and patterns that they experienced growing up. Children who were molested growing up can become molesters themselves. The same is very true of children who have been beaten or physically abused. They do it to their partners or children because it is all they know.
All human beings long for love, acceptance, and affection, but I really believe some people don't believe it exists and they give up on it ever becoming their reality. And I think (don't know for sure) this is why so many people are in to pain music and pain sex. I would never tell a teenager what to look at or read, but I go out of my way to try and make myself aware of as much as I possibly can that is going on around me. I have Googled hundreds of topics of interest, and because of Google images, it is possible to SEE pretty much any thing you can possibly think of.
I said all of that to only lay a foundation for how it might be possible for a person to become "addicted" to love or the need of it. Love and healthy relationships should be natural and normal for everyone, but since they aren't, when those who have been mistreated so badly finally find it, I can see how they would do pretty much anything to keep it. And many times that is not healthy because they can be taken advantage of and abused further.

@freespeechfreelancer That helps me understand your track of thought much better. I would suggest that not all children grow up as you...

In humans, there are many inbuilt qualities like greed, ego, lust, etc. But among all these, love is the most powerful one. Hence, if people are treated with love, they will become ideal.
I have heard a quote "love heals everything". This seems to be true.

@valentineleo In humans, there are many inbuilt qualities like greed, ego, lust, etc. But among all these, love is the most...

I would say only love that has been experienced and known can do such. What about those who are not loved and don't know it personally? Can they know and feel its effects?

@freespeechfreelancer I would say only love that has been experienced and known can do such. What about those who are not loved and don't...

after birth, first quality experienced is love. The mother hugs the kid and feeds him, and the kid feels this love and develops trust and affection for his mother.

Later, as the kid grows, he is influenced by nature and nurture. What qualities he takes further is completely dependent on his nature and his nurture.

@valentineleo after birth, first quality experienced is love. The mother hugs the kid and feeds him, and the kid feels this love...

Why are so many children in foster homes and orphanages if mother is hugging and nurturing them? You really must not believe that many children don't get a decent upbringing. I posted a post on here last Mother's Day, and basically said that the readers were a loser if they did not tell mom they loved them on her special day. You can't believe the heat I took over that post. I ended up removing it. I was NOT trying in any way insult people, but it was made clear to me that many people were not raised as I was. When I made the post, I was only reflecting through MY personal experience, but clearly, that was not the experience of many who said very negative things about their view or image of "mom."

@freespeechfreelancer Why are so many children in foster homes and orphanages if mother is hugging and nurturing them? You really must...

it is the most unfortunate to be without mother. The only thing we can do to such people is sympathy and care.

No, not for everyone. This seems like a post on some girly twitter page called "teentruths" or something. Sorry if I sound like a dick, btw.

But anyways, i'd say getting addicted to playing russian roulette can be more dangerous, etc. Stuff like that. Just being devils advocate here.

Ethans avatar Ethan Disagree +1Reply

I view addiction period pretty negatively
it's unhealthy

and the level of unhealthiness varies with the intensity of the addiction
regardless of what the addiction is towards

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree 0Reply
@fuzala I view addiction period pretty negatively it's unhealthy and the level of unhealthiness varies with the...

ofcourse yes, addiction is never good. Its unhealthy for mind or for body or for both.

@1946975

i think there is a bit difference between addiction and obsession.

Addiction is when you feel restless without a person. For example, a child feels restless without her mom, A person feels restless without his lovely dog, etc.

Obsession is when you treat a person as your property. It doesnt matter whether you love a person or not, but you cant see that person doing anything without your permission. For example, a narrow-minded husband is obsessed with her wife. He always dominates her.

*** Obsession is far more dangerous than addiction.

Any addiction is dangerouse.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu Disagree 0Reply
@Ryuu Any addiction is dangerouse.

indeed, everything is good only to a certain point.

@valentineleo indeed, everything is good only to a certain point.

Not everything is good - even to a certain point. Rape is not good to a certain point. Robbery and theft are not good to a certain point. Child abuse or molestation is not good to a certain point. Many things are just evil and wrong in any measure or point.

@freespeechfreelancer Not everything is good - even to a certain point. Rape is not good to a certain point. Robbery and theft are not...

That makes sense. Even the slightest wrong is considered as complete wrong. But can these examples(that you gave) can come under the category of "upto certain point"?

@valentineleo That makes sense. Even the slightest wrong is considered as complete wrong. But can these examples(that you gave)...

NO, that is why I cited them. They are bad even in small portions. Your comment that I replied to said "everything is good only to a certain point." I gave examples of things that are not good, even to a certain point.