+4

American society is sick, and twisted. People should not be plagued by the media telling them what the should be or look like. They should be able to be themselves and not care what others think, but most of them can't because they don't know how to break free of society's grasp.

IyzCampbells avatar Technology
3 33
@1963786

that's not exactly it

hairy legs on women in America used to be a common thing
but during one of the major wars
there were ads for hair removal

today
most women cannot go outside if their hairy leg is exposed out of sheer embarrassment and shame

the research I've done on this shows that we the people did not ask for this

it was something set into motion by ads
that made a lot of money off of this

we the people were completely satisfied with hairy women legs before

this wasn't "ugly" because we the people deemed so

it became "ugly" because that's the trend that set in via ads
and it's a trend that didn't leave

also
my mom's generation had no problem with women having hairy legs
they don't even flinch at the idea

my birthplace has slowly become westernized
and now the view towards women having hairy legs matches that of the one in America

we never previously thought such legs were "ugly"

we didn't tell the media we thought it was ugly

media told us that

http://amirite.com/757235-you-w...mirite/1904536

my guess is that hair removal is linked to the war in some way

I also note that you said "largely"
and not all

if you go through the comments in that link
one amiriter said that in France
some or many do not care if women have hairy legs

@fuzala that's not exactly it hairy legs on women in America used to be a common thing but during one of the major...

It was people who created the ads. Logic tells us these people disliked hairy legs on women and they had no ads telling them it was ugly. I think that perhaps the majority may have been indifferent on shaving legs, then these few people caught on, thought it was a good look and so they promoted it. That's typically how trends work.

@StickCaveman It was people who created the ads. Logic tells us these people disliked hairy legs on women and they had no ads...

When I say people
I mean the general public or the average Joe/Jane

and trends aren't all based on what looks good
it's about creating insecurities that weren't there before to make more money

@1963786

But a large majority of American population thinks they're ugly because of the media's influence. People think it because of the media, and the media puts out adds that promote things like that because people listen to them. I recognize it is not exclusively an American idea, but America is worse in some cases. Think of anorexia. All of those "get slim" and "stay slim" kind of commercials encourage even younger people to want to be so.

To quote, "Anorexia is much more prevalent in western culture than in non-western countries." - http://www.mirror-mirror.org/an....gEmBSAfU.dpuf

@IyzCampbell But a large majority of American population thinks they're ugly because of the media's influence. People think it...

I remember being a little kid disgusted with women having hairy legs or armpits. The media had nothing to do with it.

@perdix I remember being a little kid disgusted with women having hairy legs or armpits. The media had nothing to do with it.

a little kid has been exposed to the media directly or indirectly

maybe you were used to seeing hairless women
so seeing one with hair disgusted you

you were seeing the media by seeing the people who followed the media

and even if it didn't influence you specifically
it has influenced most others

so disagree that media has nothing to do with it

No agree or disagree button. My only option is to agree with everything you said.

Society will always be around and "tell" people what to think. However, because of the media is able to reach more people due to the internet. It effects a lot more people.

more american bashing, i just can't get enough of ignorant bigotry against americans.

@1970908

How good-looking are you? I'll need pix so I can compare.

That's the global society, dude. Not just America.

@Decetop That's the global society, dude. Not just America.

This was already pointed out in a previous comment, so to quote myself for from my reply to that,

"I recognize it is not exclusively an American idea, but America is worse in some cases."

I only add that in place of some, I now say many.

You should care about what other people think, to a certain extent. If you literally cared nothing about what other people think, your behavior could become outrageous and unacceptable.

You need to balance your true beliefs with some concern about the feelings of others.

Yes because only America is like that

@BuddyCakes Yes because only America is like that

I think OP specifically mentioned America because OP lives in America and can speak about it from first hand experience

I have mentioned this in a few other replies. I know that other countries have similar or the same problems, I am simply saying that in my opinion America has a heavier level of it.

This is the truest and possibly more intriguing topic of our generation. Society is a cruel and sickening place. How media fuels that perfect model image, how so many people are bullied for not fulfilling that image. It's ridiculous. I like to think I'm not controlled by Society, I try to bee beside the norm and not care about other's opinions. Society is a hard thing to get away from. It's not just in America, but everywhere. Even where I live, practically on the other side of the world. We need to put a stop to this madness. But the thing is, it's still going strong. Stupid things like popularity, standards, bullying etc.

"Society" and "the media" are lame excuses for when people can't think of any deeper causes.

@Wunderscore "Society" and "the media" are lame excuses for when people can't think of any deeper causes.

They may be lame, but they are not excuses for everyone. Many people are so enveloped in the idea of "fitting in" that they rely heavily on the media to base their choices on. I personally hate that fact, and have almost completely stopped caring. I say almost, however, because I grew up in this mess and did rely on such things to some extent as a pre-teenager. To follow Fuzala's 6th and 7th lines, that was me when I was ELEVEN. I find that extremely depressing how much of an effect the "social norm" had on me then.

@IyzCampbell They may be lame, but they are not excuses for everyone. Many people are so enveloped in the idea of "fitting in"...

Yes, but that ultimately falls on the individual. Just like abusing drugs isn't the drugs' fault.

@Wunderscore Yes, but that ultimately falls on the individual. Just like abusing drugs isn't the drugs' fault.

I agree on that, a part of it does have to do with will power and perseverance on your own behalf. (Your own behalf not being you personally but the people we reference.)

@1963835

Islam does not enforce the ideal of female slavery

such exists in non-Muslim countries too
and it existed long before the advent of Islam

American society is what u make it in ur space. Ur perception of it says a lot about you.

You are a confused personality as you are countering the opening of second line of your own sentence at the end.