-10

You met someone from the internet in real life before, amirite?

drhannahs avatar Internet & Apps
0 23
The voters have decided that drhannah is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

never went quite that far

maybe one day

Technically, I met her through other friends and only spoke on the internet with her at first and then met her. So, yes, I have met someone from the internet in real life.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

Met my present wife back in 1998 in an AOL ThirtySomething chat room. Those were the days before dating sites or texting. We both had pagers and actually came up with our own texting system with numbers instead of letters. Once we had a series of numbers we had to figure out the letters that made sense. For example 45683968 was I love you. We actually got so good at it we could look at the numbers and knew what each other was saying. We married in 2000, and are still happily hitched.

It didn't end well

Ohlalamonicas avatar Ohlalamonica Yeah You Are 0Reply

It went horribly

I haven't met anyone off the internet that I didn't know already. A lot of the time, friends I make don't tell me where they live. I should hope nobody ever does.

Arrows avatar Arrow No Way 0Reply

It was wonderful twice and so-so two other times.

perdixs avatar perdix Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yes and it's a very strange experience because people are sometimes different on the internet than in person

depreces avatar deprece Yeah You Are 0Reply
@deprece Yes and it's a very strange experience because people are sometimes different on the internet than in person

I agree with that but I think some (or a lot) is because when you read someone's messages having never met them, you create a voice for them in your head. And with this voice, you kind of predict what their personality is like. So finally when you meet them in person, they seem completely different than what you imagined.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply
@StickCaveman I agree with that but I think some (or a lot) is because when you read someone's messages having never met them...

What happens usually (in my experience) the modes of communication progress from online meeting to email to texting or IMing to voice calls to video chat. If you go though all of that, the face-to-face meeting is less of a shock.

perdixs avatar perdix Yeah You Are +1Reply
@perdix What happens usually (in my experience) the modes of communication progress from online meeting to email to texting...

Indeed. I don't really understand why someone wouldn't at least talk to the person on the phone or have a video chat with them before deciding to meet them in person.

@StickCaveman Indeed. I don't really understand why someone wouldn't at least talk to the person on the phone or have a video...

well it's probably the surprise factor

also, studies show (from online dating and matrimonial sites) that photos and webcam actually create these expectations that don't get fulfilled during that physical meeting

on the internet
you control what can be seen
you show your best side

webcam isn't exactly real time
so you can sorta find the perfect angle so you look most attractive

when meeting in physical life
you don't control your angle

they'll see you in many angles
some not very attractive

and those are the biggest cons for online friendships, relationships, etc.
when faced with meeting physically

@fuzala well it's probably the surprise factor also, studies show (from online dating and matrimonial sites) that photos...

Well, I never met anyone on a dating/marriage site. I haven't found the photos or webcams to be so different from reality.

Getting to know people from afar has been a real boon for me. I've gotten to like them very much before I met them. To be honest, I doubt I would have pursued them had I met them first in person. I guess I have the Internet to thank for curing my shallowness.

It also works in my favor because I'm hideous! :D

@perdix Well, I never met anyone on a dating/marriage site. I haven't found the photos or webcams to be so different from...

my opinion is the opposite
where the internet is to thank for pushing more shallowness

like I said
you choose to show your best pictures
and your best angle

seeing someone in 3D and 2D is pretty different

but I'm glad it cured you of shallowness

I figured shallowness gets cured with age

@fuzala my opinion is the opposite where the internet is to thank for pushing more shallowness like I said you choose to...

I still don't understand the point of providing false photos to someone you intend to meet in real life. I'd rather be rejected for being too ugly in the comfort of my own home, rather than getting a meeting with fake pics, and being publicly humiliated.

@perdix I still don't understand the point of providing false photos to someone you intend to meet in real life. I'd...

it's not a false photo

it's an image of you that's 2D (because photos are flat) and usually taken at your best angle

I don't think you understood what I said

@fuzala it's not a false photo it's an image of you that's 2D (because photos are flat) and usually taken at your best...

I understood what you said. Pictures I've seen are pretty fair 2D representations of what they look like in person. They are not frauds. I've seen people use blurry photos or really old ones, but they are obviously trying to pull one over on me.

@perdix I understood what you said. Pictures I've seen are pretty fair 2D representations of what they look like in...

when I look through photos

one person looks like two different people from one photo to the next because of lighting, angles, facial expressions, etc.

look up how much of an accurate representation a picture is of a a person

someone an amirite even told me

"I don't even recognize you from one picture to the next. You just look so different in each one"

@StickCaveman

Once, I went straight from messaging to a coffee-shop meeting bypassing all the modes in between. She happened to be local, so it was easier that way.

yup...he ended up becoming my boyfriend...that was over 3 years ago now....we are no longer together

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are -1Reply