-15

Before we're born, our parents have NO IDEA what we're gonna be like, what our likes/dislikes will be, how we will look, etc. Yet they get to pick our names. I think that every person should pick their own, "official" name at the age of 18. Maybe they can leave what their parents named them as their middle name. Just a thought.

Belzarts avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
1 24

I don't see the point in that

adults are already able to change their names
almost no one actually does this despite being able to

you need an official name as a newborn so people know what to call you
you need a name identity from the get go

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +8Reply
@fuzala I don't see the point in that adults are already able to change their names almost no one actually does this...

Yes, you need a name when you're born. Which is why I would suggest you pick your own name at 18.

The point in that is that we're used to just "taking" whatever name is given to us before anyone, including ourselves, knows anything about ourselves. You don't see the reasoning behind it because we're so used to it being that way. But in actuality it makes little sense that we're named at birth. At 18 you're at least starting to develop an identity & sense of direction.

Yes, you can change your name, but that's a legal process that not everyone's really willing to take the time to go through. The idea strikes you as odd because it's not "normal", but actually it makes more sense than the way we're named today.

@Belzart Yes, you need a name when you're born. Which is why I would suggest you pick your own name at 18. The point in...

Tiffany, what kind of girl do you think of when you hear that name? The first thing I think is some spoiled white daddy's girl who doesn't know the meaning of no and grows up to be self centered and ignorant. If your parents named you Tiffany and you were like none of those things, you might want to change it because you feel like that doesn't represent you, that your own name doesn't identify with who you are. Ex: If you were a down to earth sensible girl standing next to a white preppy gir who's name was let's say Lauren and a guy walked up to the both of y'all, he might say "I'm guessing your Tiffany" and point to Lauren. But who made up these stereotypes anyway? Not all snowflakes are named Tiffany, heather, London, Paris, so on and so forth. Look what society has done to me.. well that's what I thought you meant but after reading more of the comments I think our perception is different.

Why age 18? You start developing an identity the day you're born, not all of a sudden at age 18. That identity simply attaches itself to the name you're given and people (your friends, your family, and everyone else you know) associate your individual personality with your name.

People don't commonly change their names, not because of the legal process involved, but because it means you've gotta inform every single person you associate with (which at 18, it's going to be a good amount of people) of this new label you've attached to your identity.

In other words, everybody changing their name at 18 is counter-productive.

By the way, I may have not made this clear, but I meant your parents would name you initially, and you would carry that name until you changed it at 18. Possibly keeping the name your parents named you as a middle name. & possibly deciding to keep it altogether because it really does suit you.

@Belzart By the way, I may have not made this clear, but I meant your parents would name you initially, and you would carry...

if someone feels that strongly about the name their parents gave them
they can change it legally

if it means that much
then they would be willing to go through that legal process

if they're not willing to go through that process
then that obviously means that the name their parents gave is enough

I think giving names to the child is one of the rights of parents

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +2Reply

it is also a great thing there's a legal process to change your name

it makes sure that the people who want to change their name are serious about it

it also slows people down from changing their name willy nilly to commit fraud and identity theft

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +2Reply

All you're describing is what people already do right now. You get a name at birth, you use it , and then you change it later if you don't like it. You understand that, right? The thing you are describing ALREADY EXISTS.

You can have your name changed legally.

@PhilboydStudge You can have your name changed legally.

No one seems to fully understand what I meant...

That's probably my fault.

@Belzart No one seems to fully understand what I meant... That's probably my fault.

I understood what you meant

I just don't think of it as an issue

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +2Reply

We already can do this. It's just that we need a way to identify each other early on

I like for people to know that they at least have an option to do this.

I gave my daughter a name that is well-known, but, as it turns out, it very rarely used in this generation. She is really defining her name for the people around her. She is not yet another Ashley or Dylan.

This would be especially helpful for trans* people and genderqueer people, I mean yeah of course they could change their name now in modern times via legal processes but something like this would just be easier.

You know, you CAN pick your own name later in life. You can legally change it very easily. It's also, in my opinion at least, a little strange that you make the assumption that one's name has to be so defining...

I realized too late that I could have gone by one of my middle names all these years and if I were to now, it would be weird and difficult to get used to. I don't know how other people can just easily change their name.

I don't think it's an issue either. I'm just saying it would be better. Think about it like Christmas. Here in the US most people celebrate it (a few religions don't, but focus on the ones that do). It's a cultural thing. Everyone's in on it. People, businesses, corporations, schools (providing Christmas vacation & whatnot). If the concept of Christmas didn't exist & someone made the suggestion that on that day we should all get together with our loved ones and exchange gifts, you'd probably be like "People can buy their loved ones presents if they want to. I don't see the need in designating a day for everyone to do it"... But we're used to it, so you won't really argue it.

Now, that's a bad example as far as a motive, but the concept is parallel. This is what I don't think people understood, as far as what I was suggesting.

You're born. Your parents name you. That's fine. You're not going to name yourself. Growing up you might not like your name so much, but you grow accustomed to it. & even if you don't personally like it, even if it's not a name YOU would have picked for yourself, it's not a "big deal". It's not worth your time & effort to go through the legal process to change your name. What I'm saying is, as a tradition (American Indians have similar traditions, in concept), everyone should, on their 18th birthday, fill out a form, or SOMETHING simple. Everyone gets to do it. & only once. You can either keep your name or change it to something you think represents you more accurately. Your social security # will stay the same btw (to address your previous comment about fraud potential, etc). It's not a big deal. People who commit fraud don't change their name legally lol!

I kind of like having my named picked for me. Gives me a connection with my parents.

Despite the spelling being inconvenient sometimes, I like my name and couldn't think of anything else I'd want to be called.

I think most peeps wouldn't bother changing their names cuz they identify by the one their parents gave em and even if you do change it people would probably still call you by your original name

That is disrespectful to your parents. And very rude.

Ilikemes avatar Ilikeme Disagree 0Reply

It's more convenient for the parents to come up with the child's name. If they don't like their real name, they can go by a nickname. Parents have a right to name their children. Afterall, they do own them.

Damis avatar Dami Disagree 0Reply