+9

I would almost bet that even though scientists have come out with this new study, those who want to smoke pot, and who do smoke pot will say the scientists don't know what they are talking about. Amirite?

I thought just for fun, I would throw this new study out on this site. I have been taken to task countless times on this site by those who live and die by the almighty scientists and their findings. Many on this site have staked the entire Universe's origins in to the hands and findings of the all knowing scientists. Now that scientists from a prominent prestigious institution have come out with this study and these findings, let's see how many people change their views or opinions about their favorite drug of choice. My guess and bet is that they will not be swayed one iota and they will say the scientists are full of it. Scientists are ONLY right and correct when their views or opinions match the ones we already hold to.

Casual marijuana use creates brain changes, new report shows - The Boston GlobeYoung adults who occasionally smoked marijuana show abnormalities in two key areas of their brain related to emotion, motivation and decision making, a finding that suggests young people might be especially vulnerable because their brains are still developing, according to a new study by Boston researchers. Other studies have revealed brain changes among heavy marijuana users, but this research is believed to be the first to demonstrate such abnormalities in young, casual pot smokers. The Boston scientists also found that the degree of brain changes appeared to be directly related to the number of joints participants smoked, per week.http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/04/15/casual-marijuana-use-creates-brain-changes-new-report-shows/X1cN8A7h5pOVJkeYkXTXlJ/story.html
freespeechfreelancers avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 28
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1968770

I agree with you!!!! The lungs were designed to breathe AIR/oxygen, not smoke and its poisons. Lungs have a specific purpose and that is what they are best doing. Altering or adding to that purpose is taking matters in to one's own hands. Some live a long life to tell about it all, and others are taken by its negative impact.

You are probably right, they will say that. What they should say is: "it does not matter what the scientist say, I will smoke pot if I want to and I will enjoy it"

I personally don't bother with marijuana but encourage others who want to to do as they please.

Interesting quotes from your article....

"The scientists did not study whether the changes were linked to corresponding declines in brain function,"

and

"their brains also form new connections, indicating an adaptation "

Interesting this study does not claim to "harm" the brain, simply to "change" it. If you read between the lines it could indicate that "pot" expands the mind, which has been a claim since stone age people (pun intended) started smoking the stuff.

Brain change is good. All change it good.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc You are probably right, they will say that. What they should say is: "it does not matter what the scientist say, I...

All change is good and people should do whatever they want. On your basis then, if I want to go out and smoke pot and then rape or kill a woman for the "fun of it," there would be no grounds or reason I shouldn't. If I decided it was fun, pleasurable, and got me off, then I should be able to do it without anyone saying otherwise or stopping it.
At what point does your line of reasoning become irresponsible, wreckless, and immoral? How does "doing good without god" fit this mindset and reasoning?

@freespeechfreelancer All change is good and people should do whatever they want. On your basis then, if I want to go out and smoke pot...

Well I for one cannot imagine finding those things "fun" so perhaps it is your god's "father" (who did those things himself) that suggested to you that it might be fun to rape and kill woman.

Jesus taught me not to judge others. It is not my place to make those judgments if someone rapes me I will turn the other cheek (pun intended).

You must live in a very twisted world. Must people I know who smoke pot just sit around contemplating their philosophies. I don't know too many pot-smokers with enough energy to rape and kill the way religious fanatics get all hyped up and go on rampages in the name of "glory and honor."

You see, it is you and your cadre of religious types who sit around thinking of "fun" ways to commit horrific acts. The atheists I hang out with would never consider committing a crime or an act of hatred we are too busy helping the poor, planting community gardens, collecting and sending supplies to war-torn countries (and smoking pot) to have time to rape and kill.

@VicZinc Well I for one cannot imagine finding those things "fun" so perhaps it is your god's "father" (who did those...

You are a true master at manipulating the words of others. I did not say YOU found them enjoyable, but obviously MANY people do or they would not do them. The "I" example in no way meant that me personally would do it. I often speak of "I" as a reference to people in general. Being the well read individual that you are, should have clued you in on such. That is a no brainer.
You continue misquoting a Jesus who you have made to suit your own image. If Jesus Himself is quoted in Scripture as being sent by/from His Father in heaven (God), then your denial of such is not showing any loyalty, allegiance, or obedience to that Jesus. There are many false Jesus' and Christs - but you already knew and know that from your extensive religious training and expertise in the Sacred writings of the non-existent Being.
Your last paragraph is a total distortion of anything Christian or Jesus. I or my "type" would never sit around thinking of fun ways to commit horrific acts. I leave that to the crowd following satan. I never even hinted that my example was fun for me - so in your supposed non-judgmental "live and let live" philosophy, you decided to judge me and my "religious types."
And you may have a few friends who would never do such, but there are plenty of all kinds of people committing all kinds of evil. The biggest percentage of them are NOT religious, Christian or Muslim either. Since you admitted you have no clue about where evil comes from or why people do such acts, how can you now be an expert in all things God, religion, or Jesus Christ? If "good without a god" actually worked on its face, then only good would be present in society and all people would be practicing such. Another no brainer.
You can not pass a belief system off on to others when you have claimed there is no truth, nothing can be known, or no grand scheme. Your atheism erases any need for morality, value, decency, or goodness. Without a God, EVERYONE is right and just in his own eyes. Just because you want to live morally is no basis for the next person to. On what grounds or whose authority should anyone do what is right? Who decides what is right? You, the philosophers, the supreme court, the activist groups??? If morality and goodness are inborn and present in ALL of humanity, then all of humanity would be practicing and living it on their own and just because. There would be no killing, rape, evil, drug abuse and addictions, greed, vices, etc. Laws, restrictions, regulations, warnings, rules, etc. would not be necessary because people would never do wrong or evil.

@freespeechfreelancer You are a true master at manipulating the words of others. I did not say YOU found them enjoyable, but obviously...

Sort of.
Because laws, restrictions, regulations, warnings, rules, etc. exist AND people still do kill, rape, abuse, have greed an vices THEN it proves that those laws are pointless. They don't work. So what's the point? People will always practice their own morality therefore, god is unnecessary and provides no value to society.
Yes I say that the vast majority of people will do right give the option. I also say that given no option they will do right. But I mostly say that no one has the right to judge others regardless if they do right or wrong. It is not up to me to judge others.

@VicZinc Sort of. Because laws, restrictions, regulations, warnings, rules, etc. exist AND people still do kill, rape...

You are caught in a web and circle now. Laws exist BECAUSE people did not, would not, and could not do "moral" things on their own. IF people were innately good and did moral things by choice or design, then laws would not be in place. You are now blaming the laws for the irresponsible and evil behavior that many do on a regular basis. As far as I know, people DO have the option to do good on their own without the assistance of a law. Many people are law abiding and do not break laws - but there are a whole bunch who do. Guys who rape women enjoy it. Drug addicted people enjoy getting high. Pedophiles love molesting children. Alcoholics love to stay drunk and don't see anything wrong with driving and killing people. Gangsters feel completely justified in doing hits or drive by shootings on their "enemies." That IS THEIR morality. They are all living by their code of ethics and rightness.
Based on your comments, it appears you have no problem with a free for all in society. Every person should be turned loose on and against all their fellow humanity to do as they please. If a guy decides to go chop someone up in a thousand pieces today and eat some of those pieces, oh well.
And isn't it ironic that many (if not most) of these people doing crazy wild acts and crimes against humanity do not claim to be a Christian or Muslim? So God or deity can not possibly get the blame for such, but He does any way.

@freespeechfreelancer You are caught in a web and circle now. Laws exist BECAUSE people did not, would not, and could not do "moral"...

I disagree. We have laws because people tend to like to control others. How many people do you think will cut-up and eat others? You sure have an unusual idea of what motivates people.

@VicZinc I disagree. We have laws because people tend to like to control others. How many people do you think will cut-up...

Why would people need to control others if others are all being good and doing moral things? You never have any trouble with Dems or Libs controlling others for their own greed or power, so why would it bother you on this issue? And isn't controlling others in and of itself evil? Who is making them all want to control everyone? THEIR good behavior and self generated morality?
And if you have not learned what exaggerated examples are to make a point, then I underestimated your stated intelligence.

@freespeechfreelancer Why would people need to control others if others are all being good and doing moral things? You never have any...

I don't really have a problem with dems or repubs controlling anyone. I do not think it is necessary but it happens. It is not up to me to judge them.
The reason others want to control people is (I suspect) they mistakenly believe they are more capable then most people.
Western society teaches children that being a "leader" is the most noble goal a person can achieve. I do not agree. Being charitable is the most noble goal a person can achieve in my estimation.

I am not sure how we got here but I am thinking you see some correlation between smoking pot and the desire to act in immoral ways? Help me get back on track.

So...
are we talking about whether potheads respect science
or
are we talking about whether or not a civilization requires written laws to maintain a moral, peaceful, and love centered society?
I can provide evidence of civilizations with "no religion" that are peaceful and live "ungoverned"
and of course I can provide example of many-many more theocracies that monger war and hatred.

@VicZinc I don't really have a problem with dems or repubs controlling anyone. I do not think it is necessary but it...

I was only following the train of thought the thread was taking. That is how we "got here."
Many believe the act of smoking pot to BE immoral - so whether you judge or determine that yourself, others have and do. The fact that laws exist is not proof of power as you say, it is proof that leaders and masses in society determine or deem many things to be immoral, offences, wrongs, evil, bad, or irresponsible.
Potheads respect the science they choose to respect, and I made that point very clear. If and when science serves the purposes or behaviors that people are actively engaged in, then they are for it and will cite such. If it does not serve their purposes or endorse their desired behavior of lifestyle, then they will do as they please anyway, and disregard science. Filling lungs with any smoke as Logan pointed out is harmful and unhealthy. Does it stop people from smoking? Of course not. Do all people who smoke have the option and choice not to do such? They sure do - so laws are not the problem or solution - people making bad or wrong choices is.
Charity is a noble goal in any society, and America is known the world over for its charitable actions. However, are all people charitable? Not at all. Many believe and feel they have a right to take and never give. If nobody gave freely and willingly, there would be nothing for anyone to take.
My specific point about morality to you was that IF all people are good by nature, and have morality built in to them without a god, then by logic and rights, the world would be a place where all people behaved morally just because. You have never been able to explain where evil comes from or why people do bad things. And I have repeatedly held that unless there is a Supreme Being who is the final authority pertaining to right or wrong then humanity measures morality as it sees fit. You may live a "moral" life, but according to whom? All the books you read, societal expectations, the goodness of your heart? And why is your moral different from your neighbor who may hate, steal, cheat, lie, rape, or whatever? He may fully believe he is living a moral life, and since you will not judge or weigh in on his "morality," who do you think should speak up or stop him? And I have answered that based on what I have heard you say in other comments - nobody should intervene or stop him. He should be allowed to do as he pleases and sees fit.
I totally disagree with this and it will not work on a societal or global scale.
In any example you could provide of a civilization with no god, they would still have laws, mores, traditions, and silent codes they live by and practice. There is NO lawless or civilization that has existed with zero consequences for actions by some. SOME ONE or SOME GROUP always has a final say.

@freespeechfreelancer I was only following the train of thought the thread was taking. That is how we "got here." Many believe the act...

We agree.
I think we do not need judges and
I think people should do what they want.
We agree on what I think.

We agree
"someone will always have the final say."
I think this is unfortunate but inevitable.
Someone will have their say
despite my best effort to avoid this,
it is human nature for most people to think
that they know right from wrong
in themselves, and in others.

It looks like we agree that
"He may fully believe he is living a moral life"
which is my point: Everyone acts morally
(unless they are demented)
because people naturally act in ways that
they believe are moral. As I said above...
it is human nature for people to think
that they know right from wrong
in themselves, and in others.

I suspect you think someone should speak-up and stop others whose morals conflict with their own.
I thank they should keep their mouth shut.
On this we might disagree.

I suspect that we also disagree:
in that you may believe it is ok for someone to judge others and pronounce their acts "immoral"
I think it is NOT ok to do that...
and I think Jesus would agree with me, it is not ok to judge others when I think they are acting immorally.

@VicZinc We agree. I think we do not need judges and I think people should do what they want. We agree on what I...

I guess we are making some progress then. I am not trying to win you over to my side or arguments - I hope you realize that. Nor do I think you are trying to win me over. I respect your views and differences even when I am trying to probe in to what makes you tick or why you hold to a certain view.
I don't think that I should stop others whose morals conflict with mine, but I do think that society at large can and should be used in shaping what will or will not be allowed or accepted practices. That is not judging - it is sanity. If our neighbor thinks it is perfectly moral to kill, maim, or rape innocents, then we have a duty and obligation to our fellow humanity to step in and do something. Evil prevails and triumphs when good people say or do absolutely nothing.
And of course, we both know that a good percentage of society would claim to be Christian and/or religious - whether or not they really are. Those who derive their moral code from the Bible will obviously have differences of what morality is when compared to the person on the street making up his own list as he goes.
I have made post and comments about this very thing to show that there is no way all people are equally moral by their own volition or choosing. Otherwise, the world would agree completely without religion or God what morals are. Everything requires a "rule book" or standard from which people can reference or gauge where they are at. The Bible happens to be God's rule book for His people. The Constitution is the rule book for Americans. If games can not be played without express rules and guidelines, what would make anyone think a society or world could run without them?
Finally, we hugely disagree on Jesus. You say He does not judge, and the Bible says otherwise. If you will check the parts of the Bible that you do agree with or believe, you will find that He judged sin and called sinners to repentance. After He forgave people of their sins, He typically told them to "go and sin no more." The ONLY reason He came to this Earth in the first place was to die as the final sacrificial Lamb for the sins of humanity. He was a friend of sinners but never sinned [a clear Biblical teaching]. He came to "save his own" but they received Him not. Jesus would have no problem today being seen with and among sinners, but He would always be telling them about His Father and why He came. The clutter of this world would not cause Him to lose focus on His objective and primary concern - seeing people being forgiven and being prepared for eternity with Him and His Father.

@freespeechfreelancer I guess we are making some progress then. I am not trying to win you over to my side or arguments - I hope you...

I never meant to imply that "he" did not judge, only that he instructed "me" not to judge.

I don't mind constitutions and laws, I just don't think we need them. Rich and powerful people break them anyways, and only use them to control others.

Interesting fact: in Israel it is illegal to throw rocks. In the last 5 years 1,500 palestinians have gone to jail for throwing rocks, 5 Israelis have also. Only 5 islraels ever throw a rock? Laws are written to benefit the writers not to benefit the people at large.

If there were no laws and you live next door to a killer, I pretty much can promise another neighbor would kill him for you if you didn't do it yourself (there is a George Zimmerman on every block) and guess what, there would be no law against that! Justice finds its way better with no laws than it does with unjust laws that are applied unfairly.

The fact that blacks in America are 12% of the free population and 40% of imprisoned population tells me all I need to know. Hillary Clinton, Dick Cheney, and Ted Kennedy can kill people with no one batting an eye. Tell me about how fairly these laws are applied. We don't need laws we need love.

@VicZinc I never meant to imply that "he" did not judge, only that he instructed "me" not to judge. I don't mind...

I agree that men's laws are manipulated and used by those in power to control and get what they want. They also, when caught red handed violating laws, are able to cut deals and get lighter sentences than the average typical citizen. And I see that as total hypocrisy and disrespectful. I can not look UP to or follow leaders who do not practice what they swear to uphold, guard, or protect - hence my complete disdain towards my current Commander in Chief. We have all witnessed and watched the current administration's involvement in and responsibility for numerous scandals that have yet to be accounted for or any punishments served.
If we are going to have laws, then everyone must play by the same rules - period. The divisions we are seeing in society today are largely due to those in charge picking and choosing which laws they will either enforce or give passes to. And that is creating mass class warfare. It is not JUST about the wealth of the 1% , but the wealthy do get favors and breaks that the rest of us will never see. There is more schism and chaos in present society than I can recall in my life time.
And Jesus did say to love your neighbor as yourself, but He also said to render unto Caesar "the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Since God or Jesus were not against laws, I must find a way to work within them myself.

@freespeechfreelancer I agree that men's laws are manipulated and used by those in power to control and get what they want. They also...

Amen. I will work within them myself, Those people who wish to impose their laws on others will not be stopped, but I shall not impose my laws on anyone.

There are a lot of people - teenagers and young adults especially - who believe smoking pot is not dangerous. Hopefully studies like this will open their eyes to the potential harm it does their bodies.

There are many other things people do regularly which studies have shown to be dangerous: eating fast food,using tobacco, drinking sugary drinks, drinking alcohol, going out in sunlight without UV protection, having unprotected sex, and so on.

People should take as much of this information as they can consume into account.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are 0Reply
@PhilboydStudge There are a lot of people - teenagers and young adults especially - who believe smoking pot is not dangerous...

Again:
the article does not say it is "dangerous,"
in fact it specifically says that no danger was found -
the study only claimed that pot alters the brain.
Exercise alters the body.
No one said it was dangerous -
but I avoid exercise too, just in case.

@VicZinc Again: the article does not say it is "dangerous," in fact it specifically says that no danger was found - the...

Interesting. I just assumed "cognitive abnormalities" were a bad thing.

Who's brain did you give me? Abby someone... Abby who? Abby Normal.

@PhilboydStudge Interesting. I just assumed "cognitive abnormalities" were a bad thing. Who's brain did you give me? Abby...

I wonder if Steve Hawking's ever experience cognitive abnormalities? How about Quentin Tarantino? btw, wtf does a "normal" cognition produce - heartbeats, breathing rhythms, fight or flight?

@VicZinc Just found this in one of OP's fav mags. A great example of the "dangers" of brain...

What does this have to do with the study or smoking pot? And how often do you think the story you just referenced occurs?

@freespeechfreelancer What does this have to do with the study or smoking pot? And how often do you think the story you just referenced...

lol probably never.
The NYPost is not exactly a bastion of truth.

But anyways the original story you cited does not talk about brain "damage" just brain "changes".

however lung damage is another matter, smoking is a bad idea.

I suggest Alice B Toklas style brownies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th...oklas_Cookbook

@VicZinc lol probably never. The NYPost is not exactly a bastion of truth. But anyways the original story you cited...

I am sure they can be found in Colorado. I just saw the footage of the pot bash they held there yesterday and they are giving the Mile High city a new meaning.
But again, my overall point with some sarcasm was that regardless of studies or science, people will do what people choose to do. If there is a law against it, they will go around it and find a way.

@freespeechfreelancer I am sure they can be found in Colorado. I just saw the footage of the pot bash they held there yesterday and they...

I saw the pictures of the smoke clouds.

Yes, science studies, like everything, are only useful if you want to believe them.

Anonymous