+60

When I was younger, I always thought the purpose of life was to enjoy it. Looking back on it, I still see no problem with that statement, people overthink simple things, amirite?

I know this sounds a lot like John Lennon's quote/story, but I swear it is 100% true, I didn't even know who The Beatles were at that age. Of course, people may go ahead and comment "no, they meant, you know, why are we here?" and other similar statements, but to be honest, I think that's stupid. It won't do us much good endlessly speculating why we're here on earth, so why not just be a good person to others and enjoy the ride? I'm not bashing any religions, by the way.

Ethans avatar Religion
1 19
The voters have decided that Ethan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This one is a more inspiring one, probably the wisest man amongst all of us:

https://www.facebook.com/photo....mp;amp;fref=nf

PopsicleSticks avatar PopsicleStick Yeah You Are +1Reply
@PopsicleStick This one is a more inspiring one, probably the wisest man amongst all of us:...

Haha I like this one more. The other one was more saying that nothing you do is worth it, but I disagree, if you're here you may as well enjoy it.

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are 0Reply

..."anything more would be stupid".

PopsicleSticks avatar PopsicleStick Yeah You Are 0Reply
@PopsicleStick ..."anything more would be stupid".

If you and countless others truly believe this, then why does the human spirit try so hard to stay alive? If there is absolutely no purpose to life and for being here, then why isn't everyone just getting it over with as quickly as possible?

@freespeechfreelancer If you and countless others truly believe this, then why does the human spirit try so hard to stay alive? If there...

I do believe life is ultimately meaningless. But my reasons to continue living is to try and enjoy the now. Just because I think life is pointless doesn't mean I have no will to live.

Like animals , they just simply live.

@PopsicleStick I do believe life is ultimately meaningless. But my reasons to continue living is to try and enjoy the now. Just...

But animals are not conscious beings that have the capability of reasoning.
I see no reason for even "joy" or "enjoying" now if life has no meaning. Joy and enjoying are meaningful endeavors of pleasure or happiness. If your belief is sound, then ultimately, even the "good" things have no meaning and are not worth pursuit.

@PopsicleStick I mean like an inherent meaning.We can create our own meaning to life.

Why would we want to create meaning if life is in and of itself meaningless? That does not register or compute in my reasoning.

@freespeechfreelancer Why would we want to create meaning if life is in and of itself meaningless? That does not register or compute in...

Who wouldn't? To find meaning in an apparently meaningless existence seems like the greatest joy. Having an ultimately pointless existence doesn't have to close the world that's already around us. So what if we'll all be dust? What matters to me is that I'm enjoying the moment.

@PopsicleStick Who wouldn't? To find meaning in an apparently meaningless existence seems like the greatest joy. Having an...

You are still missing my point. How do you know what meaning even is if life is meaningless? And why strive to attach meaning to something that ultimately has no value, purpose, or long term meaning? It is silly in my opinion to claim life has no meaning but then spend your life attaching meaning to it. I find that to be very contradictory and futile.
Enjoying the moment - to what end or what purpose? And what is "enjoyment" when compared to a "pointless existence?"

@freespeechfreelancer You are still missing my point. How do you know what meaning even is if life is meaningless? And why strive to...

Life has no objective meaning. But the meaning is subjective.

Enjoying the moment - to what end? – Till we die, I’m guessing. The purpose?- Why would enjoying, feeling, experiencing need a purpose if that themselves are reasons one would want to live. Like sex without the intention of reproducing… isn't the enjoyment in itself make one want to experience it?

@PopsicleStick Life has no objective meaning. But the meaning is subjective. Enjoying the moment - to what end? – Till we die...

We are not getting anywhere very fast. I will stop trying to get you to see it my way. I get your point, but am trying to push you to examine the logical extremes and implications of a "nothing matters" or no reason to be here approach to life.
If nothing is objective and all things subjective, then pleasure takes no precedence or priority over pain, hate, evil, or even death. Stick around just for the fun of it? Isn't that a bit selfish or self gratifying? And your pleasure is someone else's painful nightmare. Do you think the children in 3rd world countries who eat once a week are having the "time of their lives?" What do they derive their pleasure and happiness from? How about the kid growing up in a home with no dad and a mom who is a crack or meth addict? That is some seriously "fun" stuff there.
Anyway, I could never live in a world with absolutely no purpose or meaning. If we are all just specks, blobs, numbers, or random collections of matter, then there is absolutely no reason to be here. We are simply filling up time and taking up space. I would think the stars and planets could do that sufficiently by themselves.

@freespeechfreelancer We are not getting anywhere very fast. I will stop trying to get you to see it my way. I get your point, but am...

Stick around just for the fun of it? Isn't that a bit selfish or self gratifying? - well one can say they didn't choose to be born in a pretty good lifestyle. Why can't they enjoy it? And if they worked for then it wouldn't be selfish. They could try contributing society if they want, to make their life seem more purposeful and not live a parasitic lifestyle.

The world is unfair. It's just chance whether you are born into poverty or not. I've don't know what makes people who live in absolute misery continue live. I obviously never been in that situation. Maybe all they know is life.

I agree with your last three sentences.

@PopsicleStick Stick around just for the fun of it? Isn't that a bit selfish or self gratifying? - well one can say they didn't...

But again, without sounding contentious - WHO decides what is purposeful, parasitic, meaningful, meaningless, etc? If as you say or claim that life is truly meaningless and without purpose, then nothing really does matter to any one for any reason. Why be somewhere for no reason at all? If we are random specks in a random universe, then our existence is worthless.
If you agreed with my last 3 sentences, then that means you do see some value or purpose in being here. This would be a good time to start exploring why and for what purpose.

@freespeechfreelancer But again, without sounding contentious - WHO decides what is purposeful, parasitic, meaningful, meaningless, etc?...

One decides for themselves.

If your saying finding value or purpose in life makes a seemingly meaningless existence feel purposeful, I agree.

I see no objective purpose in life. And some subjective purposes don't include enjoying it.

JohnJillkys avatar JohnJillky Yeah You Are 0Reply

But I guess part of my reasons to live include enjoying it

I'm not so much for the "over-thinking simple things" part of this post, but I agree with the "enjoy it" part. I mean, it's different strokes, y'know?

Chickys avatar Chicky Yeah You Are 0Reply

yep, some folks thrive on drama

Cantstops avatar Cantstop Yeah You Are 0Reply