+9

Zoos and aquariums make you incredibly sad for the animals, perhaps even to the point that you refuse to visit such attractions, amirite?

Wunderscores avatar Relationships
2 21
The voters have decided that Wunderscore is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

People think game reserves are better
but they still impose human values on other animals.
True the occasional species have been brought back from
the verge of extinction by captive breeding programs -
but still, who are we to "play god"?
Maybe they were "supposed" to go extinct.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +3Reply

At times, I don't wanna go for the reason you mentioned.

At other times, I just really wanna enjoy their existence since I can't go to their actual habitats (generally speaking)

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuzala At times, I don't wanna go for the reason you mentioned. At other times, I just really wanna enjoy their existence...

I'm saving money for a trip to South Africa to cage dive because I love great whites but it breaks my heart that animals are trapped in horrible conditions for the only purpose of our amusement.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are 0Reply

I haven't really been to many zoos, but for the ones I've been too, the animals seemed very pampered. They get to sit around and chill all day while some guy gives them some food every now and then. Some were rescued from near death at birth and couldn't be released because they wouldn't know how to survive on their own.

@StickCaveman I haven't really been to many zoos, but for the ones I've been too, the animals seemed very pampered. They get to...

And that's how life works. It breaks my heart that some species are nearly extinct, but it's worse that the species is fairly dependent on those surviving in captivity. If we're going to kill off a species, that's shitty enough. But unnatural captivity is hardly a grand life.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are -1Reply

To me, it kind of depends on the relative size of the animal and the habitat, and where the animal is in the food web. It's sad to see big apex predators squeezed into little cages, but I'm ok seeing little herbivores with some room to move -- in nature, they'd die a painful death at the hands of predators.

perdixs avatar perdix Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Wunderscore Okay, what about animals like parrots, seals, dolphins, zebras, penguins?

Most of those are sad. Maybe there's a penguin habitat tuts could be ok. You can see penguins and zebras in S. Africa.

perdixs avatar perdix Yeah You Are -1Reply

When I thought about it just a couple months ago after watching a movie about a killer whale, my zoo and aquarium world shattered. Then it made me think of "Field of Innocence" by Evanescence.

JohnJillkys avatar JohnJillky Yeah You Are 0Reply

I hate zoos, but honestly, a lot of them are doing good deeds. They take in injured animals, or ones that cannot function in the wild, and help them. At least in aquariums, or animal reserves they do.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Wunderscore Are they really bring helped, though?

I would hope they are. Because if not, they'd be lying to me big time.

I do agree that there are a number of zoos that don't treat animals right, and it saddens me to go there. However when I went to Monterey Bay aquarium, which was literally right over the water, the exhibits were made specific to each species. They designed them in a way where they made the animals feel as if there were in the water; with wave machines and salt water and everything. I can't remember in which order. They feed the animals their exact diet. They even give them toys that resemble food they have in the ocean, and make it in a way so that they hunt similarly. An example of that would be the sea otters they have there. They have a lab/vet office in there too. Not my favorite aquarium, but definitely the only one that I have seen take care of the animals in such a way.

I'm not sure if that can count as helping but, to me, I think it looks pretty great.

What if the animals are happy tho???

Elss avatar Els No Way 0Reply

I don't go because it's a long drive from where i live..

Anonymous