+49

Feminism isn't just for women's sake. The war on patriarchy is for the good of both sexes and all genders, and to the detriment of no one but jerks.

The patriarchy harms more than just women: it also harms men who refuse to conform to the masculine stereotype it needs to propagate to justify its continued exploitation of women. Really the only people it tangibly benefits are assholes. And if there's any man it benefits who's not an asshole already, well, power corrupts, as it always does, and the system thereby makes him an asshole. Unless he's an incorruptible saint, in which case, good on him. But not everyone is an incorruptible saint, no matter which sex one should choose to examine. (Now, I'm aware there are some so-called feminists who despise all men, and seek female supremacy, as opposed to equality. They aren't the ones I'm talking about, nor do I agree with them or support them.) No one rides this old horse anymore, but it's been set in motion, it's remained in motion for centuries, and it will remain in motion evermore, unless we take the uncomfortable task upon ourselves of laying it to rest.

GiantAngryBoars avatar Politics
0 22

If one of us is chained, none of us are free...

http://www.informationclearingh...rticle8199.htm

No. Some modern feminism has proven to be detrimental to men. Both men and women need rights. A "war on patriarchy" certainly doesn't sound like much of a solution.

@JohnJillky No. Some modern feminism has proven to be detrimental to men. Both men and women need rights. A "war on patriarchy"...

And you're right, modern feminism is detrimental to men in many ways. This is the work of the "so-called feminists" I've mentioned above. They believe what they practice is the philosophy which belongs under the title "feminism," but it really bears no resemblance to the philosophy's original purpose. That's why I don't believe it's actually feminism. It may _overlap_ with some of the ideas of real feminism, but it is at its core a different and sinister beast - and yet, at the same time, entirely understandable as the natural way an oppressed person will tend to act out if she is ignorant of the precise nature of her oppression - to lash out at those who bear resemblance to her oppressors, rather than at the oppressors themselves. This is immoral, but that being said, it's completely understandable and to be expected. This is likely how any sane person would react if he were attacked by a pack of wolves - to fight off _all_ of the wolves, and forever be _scared_ off all wolves, even if some of the wolves, and most wolves in general, have no inherent violent intentions.

But that's just the thing. It's a war on patriarchy, not a war on men. The patriarchy isn't men. It was once, but those times are over. Now it's a persistent system of beliefs, unconsciously perpetuated by many people of both sexes, which glorifies an inflated perspective on masculinity. But it must be understood, as you and I have both pointed out, that just because it glorifies masculinity and exploits women does _not_ mean that the beliefs it perpetuates don't also victimize men - which they do, they victimize all men by expecting unreasonable things of them and denying their vulnerability and original innocence, unless the man in question is naturally a complete and utter brute with no emotions except for rage, lust, and pride, and, contrary to what the patriarchy would have you believe, there are very, very few such people - and it certainly doesn't mean that men are exclusively and universally the perpetrators - which they aren't. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the patriarchy no longer has any actual living human members. It owes its continued existence exclusively to the impressionability of youth and its profitability in the hands of mass media. No one actually speaks out in favor of these antiquated beliefs anymore, nor do they truly believe them, as you'll find if you press them hard enough for a straight answer. They merely act them out, mindlessly, with no self-awareness, like puppets.

@GiantAngryBoar But that's just the thing. It's a war on patriarchy, not a war on men. The patriarchy isn't men. It was once, but...

Ah. That makes more sense than my prior thought of what patriarchy to which you were referring

Nothing can get done, when you're occupied chasing a contrived mythical monster.

justaguys avatar justaguy Disagree +2Reply

I am skeptical that a patriarchy exists within the western world. If such a thing were to be so predominant, we wouldn't have people like Anita Sarkeesian in the positions of power that they hold.

It depends on who you ask.

Lotbings avatar Lotbing Disagree 0Reply

We all have our place in society, and equality is all part of it for Us all!!!!!

internalized misogyny

The "war on the patriarchy" is completely unnecessary in any first world country. Things are fine, stop trying to cause problems

Banes avatar Bane Disagree -5Reply
@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall You are so wrong watch, read and learn. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/l...-viral-letter/

I'm not even going to bother clicking that. Tell me what disadvantages women have in their daily lives that actually hinder how they progress as people.

Banes avatar Bane Disagree +1Reply
@Bane I'm not even going to bother clicking that. Tell me what disadvantages women have in their daily lives that...

Well...

• How about that fact that men's sexual performance aides are paid for by insurance, but for a women it is up to her employer to decide if he wants it to be covered or not.
  • How about the right to choose being determined by people who do even have uteruses.
  • How about the 78 cents on the dollar that women earn compared to men in all "first world countries".
  • How about that fact that when people pay for sex in most states the woman is a criminal and the man is a scamp.
    That's just a start.
@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Well... How about that fact that men's sexual performance aides are paid for by insurance, but for a women it is...

1) Sure, that sucks. But I don't think it hinders their development in their daily life.
2) Well when there is a child, whether it is born or not affects the father just as much as the mother, so it really should not only be up to the woman.
3) That's because women generally have more part time jobs and less professional designations than men.
4) Ok, double standards exist. How about if a grown man sleeps with an underage girl he is punished much more harshly than a woman who sleeps with an underage male.

Now let's realize that women are going to universities just as much or even more than men are, due to affirmative action programs. Let's also consider that women almost always win custody battles, and also always serve less time for crimes just because they're women. Also, women can kill their husbands and claim they were abused, and get off for a lesser charge, even without any proof.

Now tell me again why life is so much harder for women that things need to be changed

Banes avatar Bane Disagree -2Reply
@Bane 1) Sure, that sucks. But I don't think it hinders their development in their daily life. 2) Well when there is a...

Don't need to you just did an excellent job. Inequity needs to be addressed. Period. Men and women are treated unequally, as you have eloquently pointed out, and that is the point of this post. The patriarchy perpetuates everything you said and everything I said, so let's end it and have equality instead.

1) Sex absolutely effects daily life.
2) Men do not risk death not any of the other risks, to say it effects both equally is false.
3)How is the fact women work less not an issue?
4)Yes, because men are seen as always wanting sex and women are seen as vulnerable, because of the patriarchy.

OK. We're not killing gay people anymore so who the **** cares about their ability to be legally married?