A Political "What If" Question

I was having a discussion with another user here earlier today. He had a list of issues near and dear to his heart. And I wondered how prevalent those feelings are.

So, let's suppose you found a candidate, let's say for Congress and his/her platform was as follows;

• Eliminate the death penalty
  • Never engage in war
  • Confiscate ALL guns from citizens
  • Disarm the police.

Would you support that candidate?

18% Wow, that's a dream candidate! 36% Are you out of your mind? 28% Something in between 18% Other
Budwicks avatar Politics
2 108

"Never" engage in war is next to impossible..confiscate All guns,No...but there has to be some middle ground that preserves your right to own a gun,and preserves my right not to be murdered by a nut job armed with an Ruger SR-556C..disarm the police,hmmm,considering past events a few should have never been armed in the 1st place..but law enforcement is a scary ass job,and if I were a cop,I'd want more than pepper spray and a taser..

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000,
Claude Jones Texas Convicted 1989, Executed 2000
Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004
Troy Davis Georgia Convicted 1991 Executed 2011

Since 1973,155 have been exonerated and freed from death row

eyewitness error - from confusion or faulty memory.
government misconduct - by both the police and the prosecution
junk science - mishandled evidence or use of unqualified "experts"
snitch testimony - often given in exchange for a reduction in sentence
false confessions - resulting from mental illness or retardation, as well as from police torture
other - hearsay, questionable circumstantial evidence, etc...

Death penalty is final..."oops we made a mistake" is unacceptable.

ChloeIsabellas avatar ChloeIsabella Something in between +7Reply
@2059231

I'm done for the week..back to "I are moron,hear me roar"..maniac smilie

ChloeIsabellas avatar ChloeIsabella Something in between +3Reply
@2060091

LMAO..I can imagine what comes up if ya
don't..Sparky,you is da best...hug smilie

ChloeIsabellas avatar ChloeIsabella Something in between +1Reply
@2060431

I'm POSITIVE it is!!ono smilie

@ChloeIsabella "Never" engage in war is next to impossible..confiscate All guns,No...but there has to be some middle ground that...

Just out of curiosity, what is that list of names in your post? You did not identify it with a heading.

If it is so-called innocents who were executed, they had plenty of time to rectify the mistake (6 to 19 years according to the data you posted).

goblue1968s avatar goblue1968 Are you out of your mind? 0Reply
@goblue1968 Just out of curiosity, what is that list of names in your post? You did not identify it with a heading. If it is...

Innocent,evidence points to the distinct possibility....6 to 19 years may seem like a decent
amount of time,but in their cases,it wasn't.

ChloeIsabellas avatar ChloeIsabella Something in between 0Reply

I agree with the war and death penalty one, but taking guns away from citizens is a little too far. I don't own a gun, but I wouldn't take that right from others who use it for protection.

cali93s avatar cali93 Something in between +6Reply
@2058073

Me neither! Thanks for commenting.

Heck no!!

Puddintains avatar Puddintain Are you out of your mind? +3Reply
@Puddintain Heck no!!

Me neither - sounds like a nightmare candidate to me! Thanks for commenting.

It's So lib/prog . The utopia for idiots

buccsoldbats avatar buccsoldbat Are you out of your mind? +3Reply

That would be awesome!
never going to happen
but what a great idea

"Thou shalt not kill"

your god would be so proud of you if you could pull that one off!
I'd even vote for you Budwick!

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Wow, that's a dream candidate! +3Reply

That would be a liberal candidate...no thanks...we've had enough of that the past two administrations.

QueenAlines avatar QueenAline Are you out of your mind? +3Reply
@2058180

Hi Jak - thanks for chiming in. It came from exactly where I said it came from. I was having a discussion with another user on another post http://www.amirite.com/779290-h...nthood/2057990

So, you can put away your protest signs Jak - Take your anger to ignorant your self please.

@2058236

The conversation is right here on Amirite Nerdbottom! Click the link, it takes you right there.

@2058262

HERE is the link
http://www.amirite.com/779290-h...nthood/2057990

Where else should the link be for you to follow? There is no news story, no claim that Obama said it, it's just what I said it was inspired by a conversation with another user. Mrs. Nerdbottom

@2058287

I don't understand your complaint.

You bet.

Puddintains avatar Puddintain Are you out of your mind? +1Reply
@Puddintain You bet.

I'm confused. You up voted my comment about this being a nightmare candidate and comment that you would support the candidate.

Did you misunderstand? Or, do you want a nightmare candidate?

Budwick, Budwick, Budwick, I am so very disappointed in you. Perhaps you should run for office since you are so good at twisting my words.

I said " take away everyone's guns that are designed for anything except hunting for food, disarm the cops first (easy to do), then the robbers (a bit harder to do).

And that was in response to your assertion that YOUR god had told us " His feelings about killing other people."

I stand by those other suggestion also. If you want to stop killing people then stop killing them, you don't need to be elected to do it.

ErasmusB_FurmanSmalls avatar ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Wow, that's a dream candidate! +1Reply
@2058211

Couldn't agree more!

@2058211

Low hanging fruit. Budwick wanted to stop the killing as quickly as possible, a small percentage would be stopped by disarming the cops. Now in some countries, like England, the cops are unarmed and they have a pretty low murder rate. Actually America's murder rate is 669 TIMES higher than in England and the overall crime rate is 82% higher.

I never said disarm the people, we need gun and we will have guns them. Granted it's is a bit harder to defend your home with a squirrel gun than it is with an Uzi, but not that much harder.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Low hanging fruit. Budwick wanted to stop the killing as quickly as possible, a small percentage would be stopped...

Well, after all the fuss in Baltimore they sort of disarmed the police. They've pretty much settled in at the donut shops I guess. Murders and crime in general is way up and arrests way down since the riots.

So, you think that's working out well?

@Budwick Well, after all the fuss in Baltimore they sort of disarmed the police. They've pretty much settled in at the...

Time will tell. I'd like to see it work. The killing is so prevalent I find it hard to believe anyone really wants it to continue except maybe ISIS and the Klan.

ErasmusB_FurmanSmalls avatar ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Wow, that's a dream candidate! -1Reply
@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Time will tell. I'd like to see it work. The killing is so prevalent I find it hard to believe anyone really...

Time has told! It's not working. Baltimore is out of control. Your dream of unarmed police would be a nightmare.

@Budwick Time has told! It's not working. Baltimore is out of control. Your dream of unarmed police would be a nightmare.

Let's see:
. Humans on Earth = ~1,000 centuries
. Civilization = ~300 centuries
. Western civilization = 30 centuries
. Guns used by cops = 4 centuries
. Baltimore cops with guns = 2 centuries
. Cops not using guns in Baltimore = 0.003 centuries

Let's give it another minute shall we?

ErasmusB_FurmanSmalls avatar ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Wow, that's a dream candidate! 0Reply
@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Let's see: . Humans on Earth = ~1,000 centuries . Civilization = ~300 centuries . Western civilization = 30...

Sure, and while you're at it, keep an eye of Ferguson too. Obama federalized the police there last year - you know so there would be no more problems - and what do you know? Problems.

@Budwick Sure, and while you're at it, keep an eye of Ferguson too. Obama federalized the police there last year - you...

Just wondering which world you live in where decades of social norms are erased in a few months?

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Just wondering which world you live in where decades of social norms are erased in a few months?

I live in a world where crazy people that refuse to accept reality will burst into violent riots at the drop of a hat. They have ALWAYS operated outside of social norms - normal people don't act like that.

@Budwick No, my name is Budwick.

Please to meet you Budwick. My names is logic.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Please to meet you Budwick. My names is logic.

Really? Well Pinko Logic, please explain crazy people that refuse to accept reality and burst into violent riots at the drop of a hat.

@Budwick Really? Well Pinko Logic, please explain crazy people that refuse to accept reality and burst into violent riots...

I can't explain that to anyone who has already decided that the protesters are crazy. If you cannot be open-minded enough to understand that just because someone's culture and lifestyle is different from yours that does not make them insane.

If you don't understand the nature of the tipping-point, if you cannot see the parallels between what is happening in America today and what was happening here in the 1770's or in France in the 1780's or in India in the 1850's; if you cannot see that the "cause" of the upraising in our urban areas is the same "cause" that fueled the Tea Party both in the 1770's and the "Tea Party" today, if you cannot see that it is the same "cause" that fuels the Librarians and the progressives both, if you don't not want to accept that we are all in the same boat and that the boat is sinking for us all, then no Budwick, I cannot explain it to you.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall I can't explain that to anyone who has already decided that the protesters are crazy. If you cannot be open-minded...

I will assume that you were referring to Libertarians when you typed "Librarians" above.

I am a Libertarian and I visit my local library frequently, but not so much as to be confused with the librarian there!hehe smilie

goblue1968s avatar goblue1968 Are you out of your mind? +1Reply

Pinko - If you can't accept the riotous behavior in Ferguson and Baltimore as at least negative, you'll never be able to change the behavior. You and they need to understand that what they have done is wrong, it's illegal, and needs to stop NOW!

Stuff your tipping point where the Sun don't shine. Society has reached it's 'tipping point' with you whacky activists. We're tired of it, are tired of picking up the pieces after you, paying for it, and listening to your continuous bitching while you do nothing to improve your own situation.

@Budwick Pinko - If you can't accept the riotous behavior in Ferguson and Baltimore as at least negative, you'll never be...

Sorry Budwick but you are on the wrong said of this. I don't want to change that behaivor, it is not "wrong", it is necessary. If it was up to blowhards like you we would be talking with British accents and sipping tea out of porcelain cups.

Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, we no longer consent to be governed by 'typical old white men' conservatives clinging to christian religion and guns. So given that those conservative fools have become destructive of these ends, it is our right as a People to alter or to abolish it.

Just like the framers of your constitution use protests to establish change so shall we establish change.
Revolution is NOT wrong Budwick, clinging to outmoded beliefs based on false premises is what is wrong. Join us, move over, or take up arms to defend the very establishment you Tea Party-ers claim you wish to defeat.

Don't be a fool Budwick, it is time for change! Do you shy away from the very revolution you wished to establish? Change is painful and not all change agents need to be on the same page, but we all net to be on the same side of the enemy and the enemy is this retched ingrained government.

You can quell the violence only so many times before it boils over and spills in your lap.

Fan the flames of change!

Black Lives Matter!

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Sorry Budwick but you are on the wrong said of this. I don't want to change that behaivor, it is not "wrong", it is...

Expecting you and all the rioters to obey the law is hardly the wrong side of the issue.

Your comment about "we no longer consent to be governed by 'typical old white men' conservatives clinging to christian religion and guns." is at least bigoted and at the threshold of treason.

Our founders built of country of laws, which YOU are expected to follow. It's unreasonable to govern with fads and catch phrases.

ALL lives matter. Even Michael Brown who chose to challenge the law, attack an officer and lost his life in the process.

@Budwick Expecting you and all the rioters to obey the law is hardly the wrong side of the issue. Your comment about "we no...

Really? So quoting your profile and the Declaration of Independence are the "threshold of treason", says the man who regularly posts comments disparaging the duly elected president of the country he claims to support and defend.

SMH

Yes all lives matter, to many of of us. But this is not about lives, this is about freedom. The freedom to choose our leaders and freedom to be free of tyranny. The system is broken. Just as Jefferson warned us it would be.

You said it yourself, "Obama federalized the police there last year" everyone saw the ridiculous display of military fire power being brought into our cities and towns. The local police do not have to accept these "gifts" . Why do they? because, as your profile says, they are mostly 'typical old white men' conservatives clinging to christian religion and guns. Old white men who are unable or unwilling to accept that other people have different ideals, different goals and different agendas. Being Conservative and Christian are choices, not mandates that you get to enforce on us.

And don't you dare try to tell me that white kids don't steal cigars, and don't resist arrest. And don't tell me if they did they would get shot, because they would not. That is how it works and that is why is it broken.
Black Lives are taken in disproportional numbers by government officials. THAT is what the slogan Black Lives Matter means. It does not mean "white lives don't matter" it means Black Lives Matter Too

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall Really? So quoting your profile and the Declaration of Independence are the "threshold of treason", says...

You didn't quote anything from my profile.

YOU said you no longer consent to be governed - that would be the threshold right there Sparky.

You ARE free to choose your leaders - go and vote, just like everybody else. (Kind of wandering away from your initial cause there, aren't you? Have you thought this all out Pinky?)

The city accepted additional surplus weaponry from the feds to deal with out of control riot situations. The city and the police in Ferguson are primarily black - oops you phucked up again.

Your rants about your goals and ideals are priceless. You demonstrate your goals and ideals by burning the town down - AGAIN!

And on your 53rd point - if anyone attacks a policeman - that person should expect to be shot.

You and your group have a skewed vision of reality. You will fail and likely be justifiably jailed or killed.

Have a pleasant day.

@Budwick You didn't quote anything from my profile. YOU said you no longer consent to be governed - that would be...

What part of "deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" don't you get?

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall What part of "deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" don't you get?

I don't get what that has to do with the conversation.

Oh wait, I get it, you know you've lost and are trying to change the topic.

@Budwick I don't get what that has to do with the conversation. Oh wait, I get it, you know you've lost and are trying to...

Sorry again, its my ego. I thought I was the topic of this conversation, since you (mis)quoted me in the OP.

@Budwick You were quoted in the OP? Really? You really do have an ego problem.

I am not even sure why I am in this conversation with you.

But....

You said in OP: "I was having a discussion with another user here earlier today. He had a list of issues near and dear to his heart. And I wondered how prevalent those feelings are. So, let's suppose you found a candidate, let's say for Congress and his/her platform was as follows; Eliminate the death penalty Never engage in war Confiscate ALL guns from citizens Disarm the police. Would you support that candidate?"

Which is a direct misquote from my response to anther post of yours, to whit:

http://amirite.com/779290-has-t...nthood/2058006

In which I actually said:

"Agreed, So let's stop killing people right now! We can start by eliminating the death penalty, then ending wars, and let's not forget to take away everyone's guns that are designed for anything except hunting for food, disarm the cops first (easy to do), then the robbers (a bit harder to do).

After that is all done, then we can debate whether a fetus is a "people" too."

So please, whatever head game you are attempting to play is not working.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall I am not even sure why I am in this conversation with you. But.... You said in OP: //"I was having a discussion...

The concept for this post DID in fact come from the conversation you cited.

Head game? You think this about you? (Cue Carley Simon, "You're So Vain")

You want to discuss the legality or murdering unborn children? Start a poll - send me a link, I'll be happy to hand you your ass.

@2058388

Note to self: Gun does not respond well to logic; try appeals to emotion, patriotism, prurient values, religious text, and punditry to determine which approach is most effective.

@Budwick Hey, stop messing up the place with all your phuckin notes!

Phor your inphromation, I was here phirst. I never even heard of SoadHead until you stopped by.

@Budwick By the way, I was here first!

Not sure how you tell time but I've been a member for over 2 years.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall You brought it up

Actually Pinko, YOU brought it up. Remember all the way to yesterday when you wrote - "Phor your inphromation, I was here phirst. I never even heard of SoadHead until you stopped by."

@Budwick Yeah, so... Does that have anything at all to do with the question?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. I assumed you were calling me a phaet or whatever you call those folks SH spawned here.

If that was not your intent, please accept my apologies.

@ErasmusB_FurmanSmall I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. I assumed you were calling me a phaet or whatever you call those...

FYI - I don't even know what a phaet is.

I got into the habit of using phuck because you can still understand what it means, and it mocks the PC crowd.

well japan seems to be doing fine and it is anti war and anti death penalty as capital punishment... so i dont see why not on those issues as far as an unarmed police go several countries do that as well. https://www.washingtonpost.com/...it-works-well/ but as far as taking guns away...well thati dont care either way but having guns and not having guns really makes little difference unless you you use it for your lively hood... that said who needs a machine gun to kill a deer...

@TheRedJester well japan seems to be doing fine and it is anti war and anti death penalty as capital punishment... so i dont see...

The 2nd amendment is not based on 'need'. We have the right to bear arms - it shall not be infringed!

@Budwick The 2nd amendment is not based on 'need'. We have the right to bear arms - it shall not be infringed!

Agreed!

It is a clear as can be

We the people have the right to bear arms
unhindered.
unimpeded.
period.

and it does not say
rifles,
hunting guns
hand guns
bayonets
bazookas
cannons
fighter jets
pipe bombs
Molotov cocktails
Agent orange
Nukes
Napalm

it says ARMS
all "arms"
Tanks
Missile Launcher
Submarines

any arms. period.
no restriction
even on Muslims
even on nut bags
even on babies

the right to bear arms shall not be infringed!

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Wow, that's a dream candidate! 0Reply

well yes that is true it is a right but as far as i can tell rights are based on necessity.

@TheRedJester well yes that is true it is a right but as far as i can tell rights are based on necessity.

Red, you would benefit greatly by taking the Constitution 101 Class at Hillsdalle College. It's free and online. You'll learn a lot about stuff like this - and won't need to face embarrassment when you're dead wrong, like this time.

The Bill of Rights refers to the natural rights of man bestowed upon mankind by God. The rights of life, liberty, etc. simply are - not based on necessity.

PS - These rights are considered to belong to everyone whether they believe in in God or not (pretty inclusive, wouldn't you say?) And, there's no pissing and moaning about whether I need liberty or not - I GET it! Period.

@Budwick Red, you would benefit greatly by taking the Constitution 101 Class at Hillsdalle College. It's free and online...

I can't resist jumping in here Buddy
an on-line course does not an expert make

The Bill-of-Rights never mentions God. Neither does the constitution.
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are in the DOI not the constitution and they do not derive from man's god, they derive from nature's god - a pagan god to wit "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God"

@VicZinc I can't resist jumping in here Buddy an on-line course does not an expert make The Bill-of-Rights never mentions...

Taking the class would put you light years ahead of the president, a self proclaimed constitutional scholar.

The Declaration of Independence however does - "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

None of the founding documents indicate that our rights are based on need.

See, you would know this stuff if you would take the class. I keep telling you where to learn this stuff and you just keep tripping over your dick cuz you never do it!

@Budwick Taking the class would put you light years ahead of the president, a self proclaimed constitutional scholar. The...

Fair enough.

I'll give you the need part
I'm still hedging on the "creator" part*

wondering why you didn't acknowledge me being correct on this comment

http://amirite.com/780316-a-pol...estion/2063646

and will point out that I have provided you with source material that you seem to have avoided reading.

Which creation myth should I use:

Anishnabe Migration Story
Apache Creation Story
Aztec Creation Story
California Creation Story (Yokut)
Commanche Creation Story
Coyote and Multnomah Falls (Wasco)
Creation of the First Indians (Chelan)
Creation of the [Maya] World - Version 1
Creation of the [Maya] World - Version 2
Creation of the Red and White Races (Flathead/Salish)
Diguenos Creation Story
Grandmother's Creation Story (Creek)
Great Flood (Salish)
Great Serpent and the Great Flood (Chippewa)
How the Hopi Indians Reached Their World (Hopi)
In the Beginning
In the Beginning (Yuchi)
MicMac Creation Story
Origin of Earth (Tuskegee)
Tlingit Creation Story (Raven)
When the Animals and Birds Were Created (Makah)
Origin Stories
Ancient One
Blessed Gift of Joy is Bestowed Upon Man
Coyote and Multnomah Falls (Wasco)
First Fire (Cherokee)
First Moccasins (Plains Nations)
Flood on Superstition Mountain (Pima)
Godasiyo the Woman Chief (Seneca)
How Corn Came to the Earth
How the Great Chiefs Made the Moon and the Sun (Hopi)
How the Old Man Made People
How Rabbit Brought Fire to the People (Creek)
Men Visit the Sky (Seminole)
Morning Star (Plains Indians)
Origin of Fire (Jicarilla-Apache)
Origin of Game and of Corn (Cherokee)
Origin of Medicine (Cherokee)
Origin of Summer and Winter (Acoma/Laguna)
Origin of the Animals (Jicarilla-Apache)
Origin of the Buffalo (Cheyenne)
Origin of the Clans (Hopi)
Origin of the Iroquois Nations (Iroquois)
Origin of the Lakota Peace Pipe (Lakota)
Origin of the Medicine Man (Passamaquoddy)
Origin of the Sweat Lodge (Blackfeet/Piegan)
Origin of the Thunderbird (Passamaquoddy)
Origin of the Winds (Aleuts)
Origin of Tu-Tok-A-Nu-La (Yosemite)
Origin of Yosemite (Yosemite)
Rainbow's End (Dine/Navajo)
Seek Your Father (Seneca)
Spider Rock (Dine/Navajo)
Strange Origin of Corn (Abnaki)
Warm Wind Brothers vs. The Cold Wind Brothers
Why the North Star Stands Still (Paiute)
Why the Opussum's Tail Is Bare (Cherokee)
Yellowstone Valley and the Great Flood (Cheyenne)

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Wow, that's a dream candidate! +1Reply
@Budwick Which do you think is correct?

I try not to think about it
I am too busy trying
to help those alive today
find peace and love

@Budwick A drowning man can't help another drowning man.

It seems like you don't want to see the light
but I will keep trying

@VicZinc It seems like you don't want to see the light but I will keep trying

You understand the drowning man was just a figure of speech, right? And that you are the drowning man - incapable of helping anyone.

@VicZinc Said the man with the blank in his eye

"Plank", the word you want is plank.

Bible citations kind of loose their sizzle when whipped out by sponsors of Satan.

@Budwick "Plank", the word you want is plank. Bible citations kind of loose their sizzle when whipped out by sponsors of Satan.

Indeed they do

Thanks for the correction
Plank

I type too fast when I get excited that my message of love might be getting through to you.

i think you think we are disagreeing but really all im saying is pretty much the same.

" The rights of life, liberty, etc. simply are - not based on necessity."

that quote you kinda of said says my point well.

"these rights are necessary for the pursuit of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness." - Thomas Jefferson to james madision when talking about the addition of the bill of rights. which is to say making legislation to protect these rights is necessary.

secondly the constitution in its original form wasnt really all that much about rights it was how to structure a government that would be the bill of rights and their really isnt much to study there. im not embarrassed at all of my veiw or my level of education on our government i keep a pocket book constitution bill of rights and major cases with me when ever i leave the house. why because its importaint to know your rights and be able to prove you have them at a moments notice.

@TheRedJester i think you think we are disagreeing but really all im saying is pretty much the same. " The rights of life...

Red - It's OK to change your mind but, wern't you the same RedJester that wrote - "well yes that is true it is a right but as far as i can tell rights are based on necessity." ?

OK - Remember, the class is absolutely free.

@Budwick Red - It's OK to change your mind but, wern't you the same RedJester that wrote - "well yes that is true it is a...

1) i stand by what i said i believe rights are made because of necessity.

2) ive already went through government class and it was one of my favorite classes in high school and im always brushing up on it. my favorite place to do thhat is a youtube site called crash course. it does tons of topics including us history and government.

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

Your perfect candidate brings Neville Chamberlain to mind, who ended up having to declare war against Germany. He then resigned and Winston Churchill had to clean up the mess he had made of the war.
America needs a strong, smart candidate who goes by the laws of this nation.
Something new and different from what we have had for the last six years.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy Are you out of your mind? +1Reply

OK, I voted for the "out of your mind" choice, so now I'm waiting for the "gotcha" that this candidate really exists, and his name is Bernie Sanders!

@2071762

Thanks for the clarification regarding Bernie Sanders' opinions regarding citizen and police disarming. I just assumed the citizen disarming was true because that's what all left-wing nut jobs want to do and there is no doubt about Bernie's left-wingedness!

@goblue1968 Thanks for the clarification regarding Bernie Sanders' opinions regarding citizen and police disarming. I just...

From https://www.conservativereview....nti-gun-debate

Hillary Clinton hasn’t learned the lesson either, and her husband is probably shaking his head as she makes anti-gun comments on the campaign trail. It seems she is trying to find an issue where she can place herself to the left of Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who is surging in popularity as Democrats are hungry for someone other than another Clinton. The populist Sanders, who represents a state that has the least restrictive gun laws in the country and a low violent crime, has always viewed gun control as an elitist issue. Ironically, Sanders owes his position to a pro-gun protest vote. In 1990, in a close race against incumbent Republican Peter Smith, at the instigation of the NRA, many pro-gun voters cast a protest vote for Sanders because Smith had come out in favor of an assault weapons ban.

Still, Sanders could hardly be called “pro-gun,” except when viewed next to someone like Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Sanders would be wise not to move closer to them. Many blue-collar Democrats left that party because of its gun control stance and he represents a real chance for that party to recapture some of those voters.

Instinctively, the Democratic Party is anti-gun so it will be interesting to see what role Sanders will play on the issue or if he will be dragged in the direction of Obama and Hillary. Let the fun begin.

OK, RedJester, then since some people need guns for their livelihood (not lively hood) mobsters need to keep their machine guns to kill dears.hehe smilie

I am for the death penalty only for the most heinous crimes and there is irrefutable evidence, not even one innocent should be wrongly put to death. I am for engaging in war only for self defense, or for an instance like WWII, I am not for confiscating guns at all, though I do not mind the idea of psychological and background checks to receive a gun. Anything that makes the process harder for criminals. So, no. While I'm more of a pacifist than most, this is an unrealistic idea to me.

Ms_Kriss avatar Ms_Kris Are you out of your mind? 0Reply

I would agree with some of that except there are times where we must engage in war, We shouldn't take guns away from the people, and we need to demilitarize the police not disarm them.

ErikGeracis avatar ErikGeraci Something in between 0Reply

No, I wouldn't support that candidate. For me, the principle of self-ownership is the deal breaker. If a candidate doesn't support self-ownership and the right to the make the non-aggressive personal choices that follow from it, I won't vote for them. I won't vote at all before I'll vote for a candidate that compromises on that principle.