This isn't as much about religion as it is just a question about personal beliefs. It has several parts. 1. What do you think happens to you when you die? 2. Why do you believe that? 3. Does it scare you to think that you might be wrong?

Witty_sobs avatar Language
6 133

My body is done, it's empty. Personally, I'll be cremated.
My spirit will move on to an afterlife - I'm confident in Heaven.
I believe that because it's promised in the Bible.
And, I'm not the least bit scared that I am wrong.

@Budwick My body is done, it's empty. Personally, I'll be cremated. My spirit will move on to an afterlife - I'm confident...

I also want to be cremated. Thank you for sharing, it's good that you are confident in your beliefs. It is a little scary to not be so sure.

@Witty_sob I also want to be cremated. Thank you for sharing, it's good that you are confident in your beliefs. It is a little...

I'm sure it would be!

I'm 65, way on the back nine of life. If I were uncertain about what happens when I croak, it seems to me the worry would become consuming.

Not meaning to unnerve you, but there's a lot of young people in the obituaries too. "Never too soon to consider your eternity" - I always say.

@2061297

When I croak, I want them to take any part of me that someone might need to live longer,, if there are an good parts left... then cremate he rest and use as fertilizer...

1. Your spirit will probably leave your body and you'll wait for judgment day. 2. Because going to heaven will be amazing. 3. I have nothing to be scared of.

When we die, if we believed in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we will go to heaven, if not and have rejected Him, then that person will descend to hell.

I believe this with all my heart and soul and have never doubted it. It's called FAITH Image in content

1. My body will be recycled. My consciousness will end.
2. My consciousness is a product of my brain. When my brain stops working, my consciousness - what I believe to be me - will end.
3. Sometimes. Death is the ultimate unknown. I take comfort in knowing that the last time I wasn't alive was before I was born. I don't recall that being unpleasant. wink smilie

@2061427

i thought your family was judeo-christian...

@2061903

being Jewish is genetic?

@2061912

im not sure i follow. both my parents are christian that doesnt mean im christian though.

@2061919

as far a i know most religions require you to believe in it to be part of it...

@2061992

how can you be jewish if you arent religious

@2063206

....still confused

@2063220

i think you should pitch the idea to starbursts.

@TheRedJester i think you should pitch the idea to starbursts.

That's the consequences of Internet!when 70 old years crazy desperate ladies have access to Internet

@2063531

i was making a reference to a commercial they used to run.

https://www.youtube.com/results...tion+comercial

@TheRedJester how can you be jewish if you arent religious

My best friend is a Jewish person by birth.. he is an Atheist...

@TheRedJester jewish by birth?

I don't believe you didn't know this..
Judaism defines as a Jew any person born to a Jewish Mother. His mother was Jewish, so he is defined as a Jew.. nothing says he has to follow the religion,, he is still a Jewish person.. If a child’s mother is Jewish and their father is not, they are Jewish. There is no way for that child to ever convert out of Judaism. That is impossible. If a person is a Jew, they die a Jew.

@clayslayer There could possibly be.. with adoptions, and such.. who knows?

so by that logic people are indeed born jewish but dont live as jewish people therefore one cant necessarily apply the principal of once a jew always a jew. then the matter of conversion makes stuff even more complicated.

@TheRedJester so by that logic people are indeed born jewish but dont live as jewish people therefore one cant necessarily apply...

They are still Jewish,, they don't have to wear the cloak of superstition and invisible gods,, they have come reality and shed fantasy,, but by birth right are still jewish..I know ome christianss that converted to Judaism but are not Jews... one is a jew by jewish reasoning.. one a jew always a jew..

@clayslayer They are still Jewish,, they don't have to wear the cloak of superstition and invisible gods,, they have come...

that implies jewish reasoning has absolute athority on the matter... as if perception of jewish people can only be made by jewish people but perception doesnt work that way.

@2083415

I really don't know.. only know what my Jewish friends tell me and what I have read about Jewish history.. Modern Judaism has probably changed as much as any religion..

@2083380

Yep! but they are of the Jewish ethnicity .. one a Jew always a jew.. by birthright..and no you are not that other religion.. you might believe in it..

@2083412

true,, the "World" presumes.. that doesn't mean the Jews perceive it that way..My friend told me he can not get away from being a jew. because of his birthright.. however he does not practice Judaism.. he is an Atheist.. Still a jew by birth.. that is the Jewish slant on it..

@2083420

I was born an Atheist, brainwashed by age eight, and recovered quickLy, and reverted back to what I was born,, an atheist...pce smilie

@2083380

im not sure what you are responding to but is suspect you would know better than i when it comes to that point.

@2061912

What's the difference between a pizza and a jew ? The pizza doesn't scream on oven xD

I honestly have no idea what happens to us after we die. I'd hope that the ones who deserve it go to a better place to spend eternity with the creator. This idea comes from my religion. It's a serene and uplifting way of viewing death and the afterlife. Another part of me wouldn't mind reincarnation because who doesn't want to live again as someone/something new? It's basically a chance to do it all over! It scares me a bit to think I could be wrong because no one likes to be wrong. Either way, I am not spending the rest of my days worrying about the possibilities or what ifs. I will just wait and see.

1. People will probably mourn your death for a while, and you'll be put in the ground, cremated, donated to science, etc. then your deceased body will benefit the environment or humanity over an extended period of time.
2. I don't believe in souls, in spirits, or any higher part of humans that isn't directly affected by the physical body. Therefore, anything after death affects only the physical body that does exist.
3. I'm wrong all the time. Everyone is. I could very well be wrong about this, too.

1. I believe in heaven and hell, but not as places you go when you die. They describe conditions of life on earth. The thought I have is our bodies get decomposed back into the earth, and the spirit, perhaps, returns to the Creator.

2. Because everything they say is in heaven is right on the earth. "Pearly gates," pearls are found on the earth. "Streets paved with gold," cement and gold is on the earth. "Milk and honey," milk comes from cows and honey comes from bees. And they say hell is in the center of the earth and ten times hotter than the sun, but if that were true, the earth would be incinerated. But on the earth you can create for yourself a heavenly existence or a hellish existence. Our bodies are made of the earth, so it's only natural that they return back to the earth.

3. I'm not scared. No one has ever come back to us from the dead to say what became of them after death, so naturally we simply don't know. All we can do is make conjectures based off of what we believe in, what we were taught and what we learned.

1) My being will cease and my body will rot
2) I don't believe it - I just think it
3) no - I assume I am always wrong

@2062063

I must say....I think that might be really interesting!

@Ilikeme I must say....I think that might be really interesting!

Unfortunately, with no memory of this planet, we'd have nothing to compare to.

I believe in reincarnation, it makes sense to me and feels right, and no, it doesn't scare me that I might be wrong.

I believe when you die, your body goes back to the earth.Time will decompose the physical body you are in. Everything on Earth goes back to the Earth. She was the 1st recycler and thank goodness and the best. "You," being your soul, goes on to different adventures. I am not scared about being wrong or right. I am not scared or frightened by my beliefs being right or wrong. I don't feel there is a right or wrong. I believe whatever beliefs each individual has that works for them is the best belief they know. I believe that is wonderful. No on is right or wrong. It is what you, personally believe that matters to you and whtat is what makes it important. :) :) If it works for you, go with it!! :))

1. When you die, your body decomposes into the original elements from which it was constructed in the first place. I plan to hasten that process because I have it written in my will to cremate my body. The essence of my personality I am not so sure about. Since there have been many documented anecdotes to suggest the existenced of a supernatural existence, I have a sense that my mind/personality/spirit will continue somewhere out in the Universe. 2. I am a scientist and than makes the most logical sense based upon the known concepts of physics and chemistry so far as we have discovered. 3. I'm not the least bit scared or apprehensive. In fact, I am curiously anticipating the event of my death so I can find out where my mind is going to travel. My daughter is psychic and she has the ability to listen to the spirits of deceased people, so she has me convinced that I will be able to contact her mind after I pass through to the other side.

My body will turn to dust and my spirit will live forever in Paradise. I believe this because I believe in Christ and God. I know myself not to be wrong from my personal, spiritual experiences, so no fear.

It wouldn't be fair for me to ask a question and not answer it myself, so here goes. 1. I am not entirely sure... I don't believe in heaven or hell as I am not religious and have no evidence of anyone actually going there. I like to think reincarnation is a thing. 2. I just can't wrap my mind around there being these mystical places of bliss and hellfire just because I was told they are there. Also, I like the idea of getting a fresh start without actually knowing it's a fresh start. 3. Yes. It scares me very much to think that maybe nothing happens at all... I guess it would be sort of like the time before you are born? Anyways, I am very interested to see what you all have to say. After death is a topic that never ceases to interest me.

1. My body becomes an object. In my will, I will state that I want my body to perform a string puppet show for everyone at the funeral for a final laugh. Then please, throw my boy into a bonfire and then set it out to sea.

As far as my soul, I can't help but think the energy that makes me live is connected to the energy in the universe. Much like how energy cannot be created nor destroyed, neither can my soul; energy transforms from one form to another and my soul will either explode into an infinite amount to be one with the universe or perhaps it will remain somewhat intact but free to roam and think as it once did. In other words, I'd remember my previous life. And who knows, maybe I realize I'm a god and I was imagining my Earth life the entire time.

2. I believe it because it's the way I personally make sense of everything... plus it's less migraine inducing to not try and fathom how true nothingness would feel; how it would feel to feel nothing at all.

3. It doesn't scare me because I try not to worry about things I have absolutely no control over. What happens after I die will happen regardless of what I believe.

@StickCaveman 1. My body becomes an object. In my will, I will state that I want my body to perform a string puppet show for...

energy transforms and changes, When we die a bit of thermal energy escapes from our bodies and spreads out in the near by area. if that area is colder than our thermal output, then that thermal energy transforms and changes

death is an illusion and so are pants. -swamp guru

The uknown i think scare the most people :)

I believe we die and become nothing at all.....until the resurection, & those who choose to live by gods standards will be granted the gift of eternal life, and those who do not , eternal death.

I believe we die and become nothing at all.....until the resurection, & those who choose to live by gods standards will be granted the gift of eternal life, and those who do not , eternal death.I believe this because of many scriptures say this.

@2065776

What?

Are you saying that
if you knew for a fact
there was no heaven and no hell
you would just ignore all rules?

For the love of god man.
Even the Satanist rules say
no stealing,
no raping and
only kill if you are going to eat it.

Even cultures that never believed in a god
have those same rules,
it is called common courtesy.

Without god does not mean without ethics.

I do not know which tribe
you are descended from
but I am willing to bet their god
was not the god of Abraham
and I am willing to bet they
were not as savage as Hollywood
would have us think.

@VicZinc What? Are you saying that if you knew for a fact there was no heaven and no hell you would just ignore all...

some people think because some people don't cow tow to the religious dogma, they have no morals,, I know more moral atheists that moral Christians...LMAO

@2065950

Interesting perspective
I guess I give more credit to the human spirit them some do.

I have had this argument before so here is the summary:

Elephants don't have god's, laws, police or courts and they are no smarter than us.

I have argued just the opposite as well.
If you have a god you can do
anything in his name, even murder.
IF you feel guilt just ask him for forgiveness.
We atheists don't have that luxury,
so we have to be good all the time.

@2066479

We don't have to be good
we choose to be good

and

It is all for you my friend
to make this world a better place
so you won't have to go through
hell on Earth and then just die

@2065950

why do you obey mans laws? Because that is what society demands..don't need a God to tell what is right from wrong.. if someone needs a god for that then they have A big problem

@2066777

I feel sorry for the religious folk that spend their life I fear of a Judgmental , egotistical god that demands their attention,, and if someone needs a god to know right from wrong then they have mental problems... Society dictates what is right and wrong..

@2080956

however there are basic tenants of Decency we all should follow and shouldn't need a god to dictate what they are.. Yes man made up this God in order to scare people into submission .."God told me to tell you this, and if you don't believe it, you gonna burn in hell" LOL

@2081016

Without religion, this god would not exist.. the two are bound together..Basic tenants of decency should be natural.. and who mandates adherence? Society demands it.. by laws made by man..Man does not need a god to make laws..God is the excuse for everything...LMAO

@2081388

You use the most illogical analogies I have ever seen ,,and if you need an invisible do nothing god, you are delusional.. spread your nonsense to some one else..I choose to live in reality not Fantasy.. Happy delusions to you ...Adios

@2082522

Any ding dong could say it would be "Like this" or "Like that" don't make It so.. you live in a society ruled word.like it or not.. you can screw it around any way you want but this is majority wins world...where the delusion comes when you think some invisible sky daddy is in charge ...LMAO

@2066777

Brianl, Interesting rant you just had.

I will address a couple of your points which you made in reply to VicZinc:
I am an atheist, like Vic, and I choose to be good because it's the right thing to do when living in a civilized society.

Since there is no such thing as a god, I don't do good because some god said so. But, since I do value my freedom to move about as I please, I conform to society's laws so that I'm not locked up in a jail or prison and lose my freedom to move about. I have enjoyed as much of my life as I could, without interfering with other peoples' lives--that's pretty much the Golden Rule philosophy which any atheist or religious person can easily embrace. biggrin smilie

@2080130

I have spoken to my daughter in the past about the god concept. She does not believe in a god being, but she says that she experiences positive and negative energies when the spirits of deceased people contact her. That is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the existence of the supernatural in my post below.

There are scientists now who are engaged in research into supernatural phenomena to try to come up with explanations for them and then add those explanations to the wealth of scientific knowledge which exists and grows continuously. That is the primary characteristic of a scientist; being open-minded to all new discoveries and information and readiness to modify or abandon existing theories and replace them with new/better theories. As a matter of fact, since you mentioned the name, Galileo has always been my favorite scientist, followed very closely by Newton and Einstein (although some may say that Newton was more of a mathematician who fell into some of the scientific arena along the way).

The concept of living by the Golden Rule is a choice that any person must make for themselves, and the origin of that philosophy can be thought to be how the first civilized societies determined that was the best way for people to live together. They didn't need some kind of god to tell them something like that which is so logically straightforward. Those societies existed many thousands of years before people outside of the Middle East area of the world were exposed to the god which is observed by the Abrahamic/Jewish sect. During my youngest childhood years I had copies of books of Greek and Roman mythology which I used to read with great amusement about how those early civilizations conceived the way that gods behaved and influenced events on the Earth. hug smilie

1. Die 2. Because it's a proven fact 3. No

After I die, I will be eligible to play major league baseball. I believe that I have to be dead, before my true talent as a baseball player will be discovered. And, yes, it scares me to believe that I might be wrong.

1) That life goes on without me. 2) Because it makes actual sense. 3) Not really. I'm not exactly a bad person either way.

@2064213

But "He" didn't tell me he was real. Other people told me he was real.

@StickCaveman But "He" didn't tell me he was real. Other people told me he was real.

(Cue game show loser sound!)

Awe, too bad Caveman, that is a wrong answer! But hey, don't worry, you have until you die to get it right. (How are you feeling anyway?)

No one has an excuse for not knowing God. That knowledge comes to us naturally—much like the way we instinctively reach for water when we're thirsty. It's not something we have to learn.

Romans 1 19-20 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them For from the creation of the world the invisible things of Him are clearly seen, being understood through the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

@Budwick (Cue game show loser sound!) Awe, too bad Caveman, that is a wrong answer! But hey, don't worry, you have until...

So if you never came across the Bible or your family never taught you about God, you'd just already know there was some sort of creator?

I use the word taught because that's what it is when people pass down information to future generations.

@StickCaveman So if you never came across the Bible or your family never taught you about God, you'd just already know there...

Yeah, that's just about right I think.

God has revealed Himself to all mankind without exception: to the young and the old, to the rich and the poor, to the simple and the educated. None lack a knowledge of God. Innate knowledge of God is a gift of God to all men. Through it, He has given all an opportunity to know Him. Much of our innate knowledge of God comes through reason, a gift God has given only to man among the creatures. Not all have access to God's direct revelation of Himself in the Bible, but all have reason.

God has given us the ability to reason so that we may know Him better and so that we may have a meaningful relationship with Him. Unfortunately, so many of those who have been given by God the intelligence to understand the workings of the universe, use this intelligence to "reason" Him out of
existence. They begin their reasonings with the assumption that there is no God (it's no wonder that
they conclude that there is no God), and develop scientific theories based on this assumption. They use
their intellect to bolster man's position in the universe (thereby, bolstering their own egos), rather
than using their intellect to give them a greater appreciation of their Creator.

@Budwick Yeah, that's just about right I think. God has revealed Himself to all mankind without exception: to the young and...

I'm not following your connection between reason and finding God. Reason (as in logic) typically leads the opposite way.

@StickCaveman I'm not following your connection between reason and finding God. Reason (as in logic) typically leads the opposite way.

Thanks for asking for clarification!
It's kind of like a two step process.

God reveals Himself to everyone. Everyone can marvel over Creation, everyone has a sense of what's right and wrong. Everyone gets this much as a freebie.

And we all have the gift of reason - and we can ponder why and how, etc. That same gift of reason as you pointed out leads some away from God.

I find it interesting when I compare that point in a persons life - when they make a decision to go one way or another to when Adam and Eve were tempted by the serpent.

“You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Like, they would know what God knows.

It wasn't a difficult leap of faith for me. I don't know why. And, I don't know why it's so much more difficult for others - but I think it has something to do with ego. I think it's really hard for a nonbeliever who has become comfortable with 'being in control' of his/her life to take the tiniest first step toward God, for fear that they will lose control.

The believer knows it will be alright. The non-believer has already convinced himself that it won't be alright.

@2065771

Totally can't compare the two and that's not really the point anyway. The point is that a belief in God was something that you were taught to believe by another person who was taught by someone else who was taught by someone else who was also taught by someone else.

@2065771

That would be reality.. believing in a god is not reality..people can tell stories about this god, but doesn't make them true..

@2066492

What is wrong with this God that it needs man to do its talking for it??? Answer me this,, if this god is so damn all powerful and loving,, why does it not heal amputees