Paris went car-free today, Sunday. Should your city do the same?

Sukiesnows avatar
8 36
@2107794

Have you been to France? I think they might like you...

No. We don't have any public transportation, so getting around when it's below zero in the winter would be life-threatening.

@Lucythetooth No. We don't have any public transportation, so getting around when it's below zero in the winter would be...

Lucy...people do that ALL the time...:-) Hopefully towns would pick a day when it wasn't minus degrees... And in Paris the transit - as far as buses that I could see - were also stopped...
Remember it's a Sunday.

@2109019

They said the whole city in the news...they didn't mention the rest...7 hours is still pretty good. i guess ambulance couldn't go car free so there must be some exceptions....

@2109030

Well a lot of their revenue depends on tourism.

@2109079

No it doesn't. One can't expect tourists, who booked their trips a year ago...to be punished by missing their flights, or train connections....

@2109125

So. Not enough time to get brochures reprinted and tell the whole world.

@2109141

Things always crop up when your travelling, especially with a group....

@2109217

Yes...anything can change given the refugee situation. And flights can also change... Once you leave home you are a victim of the forces and circumstances around you...
And it's not so bad if the occasional bus has to take a circuitous tour around the City Centre to take people to the airport....
As you said the effort has to be somewhat symbolic, but also with intent...in a city as big as Paris there are always going to be extenuating circumstances...

Awww hell no! We've already got the damn cyclists, rickshaws, pedicabs, uber, lyft, pedestrian, hippy, homeless, cow parade, skateboarding, rollerblading, pub crawling, duck boat, faux car2go, feral cat herding, segway, trolley, golf cart and general weirdness that we can handle. That's what we need to give up, not the cars.

People had a blast...walking and biking all over the streets. It's my opinion that all towns or cities should do this at least once a year...or more....

@2109022

True. But sometimes a grand gesture may awaken those who are sleeping.

@2109058

Certainly a personal example from someone in one's life may benefit some people greatly. Yet the people I know who are really into curbing environmental issues tend to be a grim lot...whereas a city...exuding abandon and joie de vivre, with an eye to making anti-traffic a joyous affair...really strikes me as doable....from the heart....

@2109134

Some people need to be taught that change...and doing good for the environment can be something well, happy...rather than something one has to do... At least doing something with a happy attitude - from the heart - can plant positive seeds...and instill in some people a more idealistic, inspirational attitude...and might even lead to a lifestyle change....

@2109225

Yes... or someone who is kind to their kids on Christmas day but abuses them for the rest of the year...

This is why Earth Day passes me by since I prefer a more grounded outlook as well...but I can still see that sometimes a certain celebratory event can prompt a certain glimpse of understanding in a particular person.

We had...years ago...some kind of a Peace day....where certain countries were supposed to concentrate on Peace...some countries given a special time to do so...for a certain length of time... Well we got all caught up in it and felt that while we were meditating we were actually spreading peace throughout the world. It's a feeling that has stayed with me, from that experience.

@2109296

Yes... and while you are meditating in a group it is raising one's consciousness and expanding that peaceful vibe like the ripple effect a stone has on a pond.

@2109313

Yes and meditation surpasses any blame of anyone....it stands alone in blending peacefulness throughout everything that's happening these days...it's a way of feeling somewhat in control...by sending out peace one is at least doing some thing to help....

It's my impression that buses weren't running today either... It is after all a Sunday and most Sunday service is crappy.

Oh heck no! I love to walk but sure don't love to do it in the winter.