+19

We are neither civilized nor free when our daily comfort requires that others bound by duty will follow the command to visit violence upon their fellow man.

VicZincs avatar Politics
7 17

I agree with this... Violence is the use of force, something I disagree with vehemently. Defense is something entirely different and it seems more than ever, this distinction needs repeated.

I never thought of it quite in those terms, but I have to agree.

I agree along with a boat load of other qualifications for becoming civilized and free. Was this a quote or a proclamation of your own making?

You go ahead and feel civilized Vic while people who actually understand the cost of freedom pay the price for the rest of us.
What a stupid thing to say Vic. I hope you never have to fight for you civilization or your freedom because with that pinko attitude you won't last a minute.

@2110214

Smedley Butler was a smart man, a brave man, and a true patriot. His assessment of his career is not much different than Ike's.

@Will_Janitor Smedley Butler was a smart man, a brave man, and a true patriot. His assessment of his career is not much...

Dream on fellows. Your safe in the country you denigrated, safe and protected by the armies you distain.
Dream of your socialist utopia which will never be.

@Daver Dream on fellows. Your safe in the country you denigrated, safe and protected by the armies you distain. Dream...

I served my time and have always supported our military. There is nothing socialistic about questioning the people that make decisions to go to war and their reasons. There is no utopia, but there are a lot of rich people that got much richer when our country was at war.

@Daver You go ahead and feel civilized Vic while people who actually understand the cost of freedom pay the price for the...

I don't think what he wrote is wrong. When we are at war and fighting to maintain the rights, privileges, and freedoms that we have, we are temporarily giving them up for that obligation. What Vic said can be interpreted in many ways, but none of them are stupid.

Always wondered Daver,
why do you spit
your words out
like they were
some remnant of
yesterday's lunch
suddenly dislodged
from the rim
of your dentures?

I agree Vic is disingenuous.

What does that even mean? Why so cryptic? No one is "bound by duty to visit violence" upon anyone. Now, if you know someone duty bound to hurt others, then they are uncivilized - not the rest of us.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply