When your power goes out, do you use candles or flashlights?

32% Candles 32% Flashlights 36% Other
Lil_Princesss avatar Life
9 46

We use both, but mostly candles, I use candles in my decorating décor so they are easy to find.

@Lil_Princess Oh I love decorating with candles.

I've been buying the battery operated candles that look very real.... I have a window seat in my dining room and I have two of these candles in a lantern, sitting there and from the outside they look like real candles. and they are on a timer.

I have some LED battery operated power strips I bought a while back and they light up the house in a way that would put Clark Griswold to shame. Candles are just too hot since it seems the only time we have blackouts is in the summer when the electricity usage skyrockets.

I use a flashlight until I get my generator started, when we lose power it's usually off for a minimum of 6 hrs could be 5-6 days depending on the storm

lobstermans avatar lobsterman Flashlights +3Reply
@2115480

Our power goes out sometimes when we are having a bad storm.

@2115480

Power is often lost due to storms, but can be cut or shut low in summer when people think they need a/c I worked at our local power company and we would have brown out days many times in summer just so big cities of the south could have more. Not really fair.

The power isn't usually out long enough to bother with digging out candles or flashlights. The longest it's been out was for about an hour, and that was during the day.

@BoredCollieDog Yuk! I'd move. lol!

Oh I have been wanting too. I was just glad the other end of town had power that week.

@Lil_Princess Oh I have been wanting too. I was just glad the other end of town had power that week.

I have the power go out a few times a year, but never for an extended length of time. I think 6 hrs at most and I just grabbed a bottle of wine and went to the pool. biggrin smilie

@BoredCollieDog I have the power go out a few times a year, but never for an extended length of time. I think 6 hrs at most and I...

Ours only occurs for great lengths of time when we have tornadoes. cry smilie

I don't blame ya, I would probably do that too.biggrin smilie

@Lil_Princess Ours only occurs for great lengths of time when we have tornadoes. I don't blame ya, I would probably do...

I have an irrational fear of tornadoes. I don't know why. I will drop dead of a heart attack if one ever hits. It wouldn't matter, my town would be doomed in a tornado, or at least part of it, if it hit a canyon. See, I'm rambling. I'm already scared. It's irrational. How do you do it??? God Bless you!

@BoredCollieDog I have an irrational fear of tornadoes. I don't know why. I will drop dead of a heart attack if one ever hits. It...

Thank You. Its not an irrational fear in my opinion. I have been through many & it never gets any easier. I live on the outskirts of town right in the path the come through. I tried to get one on video last year but I was shaking to bad.

@2114340

That is what my mama use to keep around the house too

Usually both.

Our power went out this morning, and we just waited a few seconds for our backup generator to fire up and turn our power back on again. Easy-peasey!

@Lil_Princess I have thought about getting a backup generator,myself.

Yeah, the loss of lighting isn't so bad, it's just the risk of having frozen food thaw and be ruined or living without heat if it happens during the winter (I am in Michigan)biggrin smilie

@goblue1968 Yeah, the loss of lighting isn't so bad, it's just the risk of having frozen food thaw and be ruined or living...

Well hello neighbor, I am in southern Indiana so in the summers we have to tornadoes which I have lost food more than once & in the winter the ice gets really bad on the power lines causing them to come down. I think it would actually pay in the long run.biggrin smilie

@Lil_Princess Well hello neighbor, I am in southern Indiana so in the summers we have to tornadoes which I have lost food more...

For us, the decision clincher happened six years ago when we lost power for several days in January. We moved into a motel room beyond the area where the power outage occurred because of the loss of the heat in our house was the most unbearable aspect. We bought our first generator then and upgraded to a larger one this year which is able to even run our central air conditioning compressor when we have outages during the summer. hello smilie

Whatever is handy.

dru18s avatar dru18 Other +1Reply

really both

Ang98s avatar Ang98 Flashlights +1Reply

Our building super doesn't allow open flame.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne Flashlights 0Reply

If it's going to be out for 3 or 4 hours,i'll use flashlights.
Longer then that,i'm firing up the generator..

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred WEow you are lucky to have that option. I can't afford that.

I've been through a few power outages and i got tired of going through that, losing food, losing sleep when i have to go to work the next day..

It became important for me to get one..