Could you take a live lobster and cook it?

Sukiesnows avatar Animals & Nature
11 30

I probably could if I liked lobster, but it's not something I want to eat.

No. The first "fine dining" restaurant I worked for had a lobster tank, and I was supposed to ask/encourage the patrons of the establishment if they would like to pick one out for their meal. I was not aware of that aspect of the job.

I got kind of sick when I had I to go into the kitchen to pick up food, and saw squirming lobsters being dropped into boiling water. It got me thinking further about my dietary choices, although lobster had never been one of them.

Yep, and have several times.

@2118358

They FEEL pain!

@2119263

Nope, old school. It has been proven recently, like in the last ten years, that they can feel.

@2119660

I know you weren't talking to me, but there does seem to be some confusion among scientists on this question.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...b28_story.html

@2119669

Okay then, thanks sharing your thoughts on that. Lobsters do indeed make a noise like screaming when boiled alive. I know this because I've heard it.

I do actually feel regret when I have to kill a bug, with the exception of those whose main purpose seems to be tormenting humans and other animals.

@Piper2 Okay then, thanks sharing your thoughts on that. Lobsters do indeed make a noise like screaming when boiled alive...

They said on this show that if one cradled the lobster and sang to it...then the lobster would go into a place where it could not feel pain. New to me.

@Piper2 Hmm.......never have read or heard that that, myself.

They showed a pic of a lobster being soothed...and then curling up within itself and said that while in this state the lobster could not feel anything.

I'm not a guy. My once boyfriend could stomp on a live mouse with his steel toed boots...

@Sukiesnow They showed a pic of a lobster being soothed...and then curling up within itself and said that while in this state...

Lobsters can be soothed into a calm state, it seems. That does kind of negate the idea that they can't feel anything.

@Piper2 Lobsters can be soothed into a calm state, it seems. That does kind of negate the idea that they can't feel anything.

Yes...human beings are mean. It also reminds me of what they do to cows - I don't know if you want to hear this - before they are slaughtered....

@Sukiesnow Yes...human beings are mean. It also reminds me of what they do to cows - I don't know if you want to hear this -...

As far as I know, only the biggest dolts among us refuse to acknowledge that our fellow mammals do indeed feel pain and suffering. Emotions, even....

No, I don't to need to reminded about what happens to cows, pigs, sheep or any other animal that people like to eat.

@2119669

Being boiled ALIVE. Think about it.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh....! It moved.

There is a humane method of basically electrocuting them right before preparation, but it's a bit costly for home use.

If you would like to read up on it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food...k-lobster.html

yes, and cook some eggs with him too!

No. Not after we all found out it could feel.

Oh heavens no

I'd rather eat a cheeseburger,don't really like lobster.

If i had to cook that lobster to survive,i would..

I'd rather cook that lobster over having Crows picking on my lifeless body..