Can you name a book that's been banned?

Sukiesnows avatar Language
8 47

The Grapes of Wrath (1939)
Was temporarily banned in many places in the US. In the state of California in which it was partially set, it was banned for its alleged unflattering portrayal of area residents.[43]

the anarchist cookbook

Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling

@PhilboydStudge Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling

Where was this banned? I'm OK with it since to me it does not resemble good literature.

@2124913

Actually it does! But I thought it was considered more of a 'fantasy book' than anything... I know people who disliked anything to do with witchcraft, who really loved this book. Odd.

@2124921

Yes. Remember Catcher in the Rye? That was another book banned for quite sometime...again sending the author into isolation and depriving us of more of his books!

@2124941

C in the R was certainly better than all his other books... Even though...what was his name Holden Caulfield? was a bit full of himself...

@2124956

I tried to reread it (before SH) but I could only get through 1 chapter.

You have been a busy bee on the circuit today...Glissy...

@2125348

I liked "Travels with Charley". I never read "Catcher in the Rye", but I did see "Hoppy Go Lucky"...

Catcher in the Rye. (why?)

Over the years many have
Few (if any) at the federal level
Most school districts have
a list of books currently
banned from the local library.

You can find just about anything
you want online
even notorious editions
like Mapplethorpe's
Perfect Moment, or
Hamilton's Age of Innocence

At one time there was talk about banning this book, not sure if they did or not.

@Sukiesnow D. H. Lawrence. I knew it would pop up.

Smarty pants. lol lol I had no idea. I read that book a long time ago, and it doesn't compare to the filth that is printed in today's world.

@StarzAbove At one time there was talk about banning this book, not sure if they did or not...

I'm not sure if it was or not. But the author got so much static over it that he took a long vacation from writing. Damn! I should remember who the author was...:-)

Ys, it most definitely was....or so the teachr told me when I did a book report on it.

@SugarSkul Ys, it most definitely was....or so the teachr told me when I did a book report on it.

I remember there was a lot of talk about it...but never knew what became of it.

@StarzAbove I remember there was a lot of talk about it...but never knew what became of it.

Nothing special. Some stores stopped selling it for a while...later it became a movie.

SSDD.....'banned' is now guaranteed box office....and what was banned then is TV today...

Books by Abby Hoffman and Jerry Rubin were either banned or really difficult to get ahold of...i.e. the little red book.

I just really know of Johnny Got His Gun cause my sister read it in school, and Harry Potter.

Catcher and the Rye.

the bible in schools

@Anonymousmouse the bible in schools

Really! Wish that was true in my school. We got forced to study it for an hour every day...:-(

@Sukiesnow Really! Wish that was true in my school. We got forced to study it for an hour every day...:-(

get out of private school them.
would be as opposed to being forced to study the bible of evolution? yeah there is no proof of evolution yet I bet you have no objections to being forced to study the religion of evolution

@2126198

their are no facts backing evolution up. nothing comes from nothing, abiotic does not create biotic. even if evolution was true, their would STILL need a God or creator to make it happen.

@2126243

gladd your shaking your head because you know what I say to be true and your sad because you wish your fairy tale evolution story was the true story.

@2126250

what evidence? pray tell what evidence? real science proves life does not come from non life, evolution claims that non life created life. real science is observable, you cannot observe evolution therefore evolution is NOT science. it is funny how someone who believes nothign created something has the audacity to call people who believe in God as "sad"

@2126262

really. so you have seen an animal evolve into a different animal? or have you only observed an animal adapt to its surroundings to survive? BIG difference between the two.

@2126261

actually. what is written in the bible was observed at the time. evolution tries to claim what happened millions of years after it happened.

and unless you can say you have seen an animal evolve into a different animal you cannot say you observed evolution