Do You Support a $15 Minimum Wage?

Image for post Do You Support a $15 Minimum Wage?
57% Yes 33% No 10% Other
doctorwho1011s avatar Law
4 15

Honestly, the higher the minimum wage, the higher the cost for goods. It just seems like a never-ending cycle to me.

I support it in the sense that people will finally stop bitching about it and that well, I suppose I'm open to experimentation too. While I'm seriously not completely against minimum wage increases, I also think it would be hilarious if we spiked it up to something like $15/hr and then the world caught on fire. How's that for a new stance on things? Could you imagine a politician running with the slogan, "If we don't make mistakes, how will we learn?"

But mostly I don't believe anything will change in the long run.

Something I don't see many people argue is that it means that all wages will increase. For example, I currently get paid $11.50 (a 59% increase to the current minimum wage of $7.25). If minimum wage is $15, then my employer will have to offer me $23.85 because I'll be damned if I work this job for minimum wage. Why would I continue working my more difficult job when I could work an easier one that pays the same amount? This applies to just about every job out there. If you raise the minimum, you're just raising the whole scale to a new level--same old shit with just new numbers assigned. At some point in time, $15 would inevitably become the new symbol of poverty and then we're just back to arguing about whether or not it should be raised. Doesn't matter how many times you change the number, minimum wage will always end up right back where it's always been.

On a final note: I don't think the overall problem is minimum wage. I think it's a much more complex issue perhaps related to logistics of labor resources and rapidly changing technology.

Oh I fully support an increase.

people who say yes are clueless about economics. it will help no one, and will harm people in the short term before things balance out. raise the minimum wage, what happens? businesses raise cost of goods and services to compensate, the minimum wage then is still just as useless as before. minimum wage never helps anybody. it actually hurts those who worked to get better wages.

http://wearechange.org/report-s...eat-recession/

According to a report released Sunday by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), the $15 minimum wage has caused Seattle restaurants to lose 1,000 jobs — the worst decline since the 2009 Great Recession.

“The loss of 1,000 restaurant jobs in May following the minimum wage increase in April was the largest one month job decline since a 1,300 drop in January 2009, again during the Great Recession,” AEI Scholar Mark J. Perry noted in the report.

@Cezar http://wearechange.org/report-s...eat-recession/ According to a...

Why does it only cover restaurant workers? I thought restaurant workers got paid (hourly) less than minimum wage anyway. Smells kind of fishy. I want to know if there's a decrease in employment among all job categories.