+14

You've encountered people who, when asked to provide examples to back up their claim, beat around the bush and throw insults instead of simply admitting they had none.

Mcflys avatar Politics
4 33
@2126769

Why is it BS? For example: Pro choice or Pro life...you make the decision based on gut instinct... It's an Opinion, which is mine. I don't feel the need to provide reams of the bible or some other book to back up my opinion.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Disagree -1Reply
@2126925

I was surprised he's 16!! When I was 16,my entire vocabulary would have filled a post it note! LOL

@2129979

..as was I..good thing I snapped out of it..wink smilie

@2129986

I put 2 good years into being a teenage turd.. longest 2 yrs EVA!! lol

@2126784

I guess there is a difference in making a statement like saying "Vaccines cause autism" or saying "I'm pro-choice". But one could say I've heard somewhere that vaccines might cause autism...and bingo...back in the game...

@2126791

Be careful of stedfast claims. If you made one I might want you to have an autistic kid...therefore I might listen more, or not... Things change everyday and there's different news out there... Making a vague claim is better: you just want someone to go and look into it if they are interested...

Opinions aren't definitive on Am; I'm certainly not looking for that... If I had an Autistic child I certainly wouldn't be coming here to find out more about it!

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Disagree +1Reply

Yes I have. I only ask once, then I move on. No sense watching them tap dance all day. Image in content

They are people like that in the world. They are annoying.

@2128072

Now those are posts I'd like to have seen..:)

@2128072

My post clearly talking about claims; if you make an opinion, I don't give a rats **** enough to ask for proof.

But a claim as part of your opinion? Well if you're telling it as if it's fact to everyone( such as, Mr. So and So is a rapist), then it's understandable for everyone to ask for proof to accept your fact as an actual fact.

And of course, you don't have to do anything.
But just like a politician at a debate who's all talk but no substance:
If you spit out nothing but claims with nothing to back it up, you're not worth anyone's time or respect. And you've got no one to blame for that except for yourself.

Glad I helped you know the difference between stating an opinion and making a claim.

Why is an example required. This is an opinion site...

@Sukiesnow Why is an example required. This is an opinion site...

If someone states something as a fact as opposed to an opinion, I think it's valid to ask where they got the information from. I agree that opinions don't require backup.

@2126724

Believe it - it took ages on SodaHead for people to really get that fact...that this was an Opinion site and no back up of information was required...was nice perhaps but not required.

@2126751

So...you seem nice but could you narrow it down a bit? Like...do you think people should be able to justify their opinion? Yes or No...

asking for proof is childish bullshit.

@urwutuis asking for proof is childish bullshit.

I wouldn't ask for proof (because most things cannot be proven), but if someone was to claim that the Sun revolves around the Earth, I would feel compelled to challenge that by asking for supporting data. Is this what you mean by "childish bullshit"?

@PhilboydStudge I wouldn't ask for proof (because most things cannot be proven), but if someone was to claim that the Sun revolves...

i understand your point but have a slightly different perspective. First, i don't care if they believe me or not so proof isn't required. If they have doubts they can do their own research or they are welcome to remain as ignorant as they choose and second, i don't work for free and i'm not about to track down something I might have read 40 years ago.
Asking for proof is the equivalent of liar, liar pants on fire.