+5

All people between the ages of 18 and 21 should spend a year learning how to serve their country in some capacity.

Sukiesnows avatar History
4 28

If you mean "should spend a year...." as in "it's the nice thing to do," then I can agree. It's good to give back to our communities. But if you mean "should spend a year....." as in "forced to partake," then no. You don't teach people how to give back by forcing them to do it. You teach them by showing them how great of a feeling it is to give back.

@StickCaveman If you mean "should spend a year...." as in "it's the nice thing to do," then I can agree. It's good to give back...

In South Korea it's expected that men in the 18 year-old age range serve their country for a year... My friend did; it was tough for him...I don't think everyone has the capability to serve in the 'fighting' category but therefore it might be better if people had a choice...and at that age it might give kids a view to future job skills....

@2127195

It's actually part of our school system. Every year each child has a certain amount of community service to do as part of the requirements to matriculate to the next level.

@SugarSkul It's actually part of our school system. Every year each child has a certain amount of community service to do as...

Hey, hey, hey! Let them little rug rats "matriculate " in the privacy of their bedrooms like everyone else!

[yes, it's supposed to be humor. And, I apologize to the 99.999% of you that knew it was. This is what political correctness does to telling a joke.]

Times are changing. And in a worst case scenario, would we be ready? Would we have people ready and available for all positions?

Operative word - SHOULD

Not everyone can. Some are severely disabled or have a medical condition that stops them from doing things.

@EternalSailorSol Not everyone can. Some are severely disabled or have a medical condition that stops them from doing things.

Good point. Due to time and space constraints...not to mention keeping people from snoozing...I can't really mention all those who would be disallowed.

I think that is an excellent idea.

@2127352

So, patriotic duty does actually have a price.
Curious, what does it cost to have you as a friend?
What's the charge for helping an elderly woman with her groceries?

PS - Most branches of service do offer tuition assistance.

Semple, the military provides life experience that you can't get anywhere else at any price. Trainees enter the service as boys and come out as men. There's far more learned than physical and combat training. You learn to believe in things bigger than yourself. You learn to appreciate and revere your home life, your country - so much so that would fight to the death to protect it.

Not everyone is cut out for military service. Some just don't have the right stuff. And frankly, I give extra props to those serving today, for a president that just doesn't give a rats ass about them or their mission (which is poorly defined.)

Do the military a favor and just stay home. I think you would have a tough time at it and maybe endanger your mates if they ever let you in the field of combat.

@2128554

You wrote - "I think you have an overly romanticized view of the military."

I have personal experience with the military. I actually know what I am talking about. You have a brother that you worry about - never even mentioned why he joined, or why he's a lifer. And you have assumptions about your 3 cousins.

Now, you are pretty convinced about your point of view, and you don't even have shit to base it on.

Can you imagine how strongly I hold MY point of view after actually serving for eight years?

Yet you have the balls to call my POV romanticized.

@2135250

I never meant to suggest that the military could or should be in the business of polishing turds. Like anything else; garbage in - garbage out.

I'll give you this much, things have indeed changed. Back in the 60's and 7-'s, even with all the anti war demonstrations, citizens generally loved their country.

Of course your brother isn't the same goofy kid you grew up with. He has matured, hopefully you have as well. You may not be giving your brother enough credit. Maybe he already knows your disdain for the very thing he has dedicated his life too. I can think of lesser reasons to not be chatty.

@2136287

Slow down there Sempe - It's Obama that is ignoring Vets. HE promised to fix it - of course he's famous for breaking promises.

I think you don't know your brother or the military as well as you think you do.

They should all have to go to military school at age eight.