Do you know of a place which is always being mispronounced?

Sukiesnows avatar Religion
7 31

Yes... Other than my personal name which is always being mispronounced...Toronto is always being mispronounced. You live there it's called Torono...not ToronToe.

Probably 90% of the places in Iceland. Plus, there's Llanfairpwllgwyngyll in Wales.

Kyrgyzstan, lol.

@2128724

I had one of the K-stans in mind but forgo the looking up of spelling...

@StephenB Kyrgyzstan, lol.

And I just got through learning Uzebekistan.

Louisville, Kentucky for one.

@Piper2 Louisville, Kentucky for one.

I still don't understand that one...for example why is the name LOUIS, a lovely name...why is it not pronounced LEWIS? Instead it sounds like a greasy Italian name LEWIE... I just don't get it...

I read the entirey of Anne Rice's book Interview with a Vampire with the mental sounding of LOUIS's name sounding like LEWIS...man was I taken aback when someone corrected it... It's possible I was never the same after... :-)

@Sukiesnow I still don't understand that one...for example why is the name LOUIS, a lovely name...why is it not pronounced...

A "greasy Italian" name, oh my....

What I know, is that most who have lived in that city for a long time, pronounce it as Lue-a-val. My mom did, and so did my two classy aunts who lived there for much of their lives. It's no big deal for sure, but I do know the "proper" way to say it. smile smilie

@Sukiesnow Good to hear there might be more than one way to say it... potato..tomato...

The comment to me that I replied to has changed.

How a place is pronounced is rarely any big deal, except for those who have lived there for a long time. Even then, most natives don't scold 'newbies' about it that much. I thought a man I got involved with was from "bomercity" , until I realized he was talking about Baltimore. He is a well-spoken kind of of guy, in general.

Personal names on the other hand, can be more annoying when not pronounced properly....

@Piper2 The comment to me that I replied to has changed. How a place is pronounced is rarely any big deal, except for...

Well tourists try to blend in...to some people the English language is more important than to others... Most of the time I laugh at people's misprounciations...people don't like that either...your Bomercity was hilarious...

And I get my personal name mispronounced all the time...

The city of Florence Italy is apparently properly pronounced Firenze

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wi...It-Firenze.ogg

@VicZinc The city of Florence Italy is apparently properly pronounced...

I had a co-worker called Florence. Drove everyone mad by calling her Firenze.

I know the first one is pronounced Beaver...lol...

Tourists always give themselves away when they ask where the Aimish are? With the shows about them, most people know that is is pronounced Ahm ish. There's a scene in the old movie, Witness, where the supposedly local cop wants someone in Lan cas ter. That made the locals howl. Burt Lancaster is ok but the city is pronounced Lan kis ter.

@2128891

You are right, they are spreading out. Ohio has a lot and we were told that they are buying big spreads up in Maine for some reason. We still have enough to keep the tourists coming and enjoying learning more about them. We like our Amish neighbors and enjoy waving to them from our front porch.

When I traveled to the south a lot
It seemed like most people said:

-bama
-miss-ipee
-nor'lins and leezeeanna