Should children be taught that they're all winners and all deserve a trophy ?

Image for post Should children be taught that they're all winners and all deserve a trophy ?
47% Bad idea because... 5% Good idea because... 47% Other
KristenGuruLynns avatar Entertainment & Hobbies
7 11

It's the first step to an all entitlement mentality. To put it shortly, it's not realistic, and those kids are not prepared for the real world-you won't be doing them a favor.

Children who grow up being given things end up never wanting to work hard for the things they have. They grow up wanting the government to take care of them.

KristenGuruLynns avatar KristenGuruLynn Bad idea because... +5Reply
@2131628

Agreed.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Bad idea because... +2Reply

If you teach kids that they're always a winner, they'll believe that into adulthood where that is definitely not true. It's better to teach them how to deal with losing and rejection. And that can either be, "next time you need to try harder," or "maybe this subject isn't for you." Toughen em up.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Bad idea because... +1Reply

Hey, here's an idea! How about we be honest with the kids! Whoa, wait a minute - You know if they've done a good job, tell 'em. If not, tell 'em that too - and explain how they could improve. Even when they've done a good job, chances are it's not going to be professional grade performance - so help them improve - if they're interested.

This crap about trophies for participation devalues good performance and over values mediocrity.

Not trophies, because they are too expensive. I think something simple like a pin or stickers would work. When I was a kid I wished that they gave everyone a pin or stickers for at least trying. I was the only kid in class that didn't get pins for jump roping, because I couldn't jump rope that well because I have problems walking. Since then I heard that many schools (in the region of Canada where I live) give people even kids with autism award of some kind for whatever activity it maybe to show that they are winners because at least they tried.

EternalSailorSols avatar EternalSailorSol Bad idea because... 0Reply
@EternalSailorSol Not trophies, because they are too expensive. I think something simple like a pin or stickers would work. When I...

Not to argue against your childhood memories or anything, but I think instead they should have found something you're better at than your classmates and had a competition for that as well. Then everybody can win at something without giving out trophies for not winning.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Bad idea because... 0Reply

It turns them into entitled little assholes who don't bag their own groceries at supermarkets and fight over places in line and refuse to give to charity, and think their shit dont stink

TomboyJanets avatar TomboyJanet Bad idea because... 0Reply