0

Californians are using less water to comply with drought restrictions! Now the DWP (Dept. of Water and Power) wants a rate increase. That is NOT fair. Amirite?

DWP Says Drought Is Costing Them So They Need To Raise Rates
October 21, 2015 9:55 PM

Share on facebookShare on twitter Share on email More Sharing Services
2
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The drought means Californians are using less water.

Less consumption also means less revenue for the LA Department of Water and Power.

The DWP has decided to raise their rates.

CBS2’s Randy Paige finds a lot of consumers and customers are not happy about using less and paying more.

DWP customers have done such a good job of conserving water — they exceeded expectations — they have lower water bills to show for it.

“They’re all saving money right now,” says DWP’s CFO Jeff Peltola.

He admitted to Paige there is a catch with all the conserving. Because DWP customers were using less water, the utility is unable to cover all their costs. So consumers will find themselves paying a little bit ore starting January 1.

“To ensure that we have enough money to fix our leaks, to have customer service, all those different things,” says Peltola.

DWP says the average consumer saved about $5 on each bill. The rate hike will will raise the rate by about $2. So they said the average bill be about $3 less than it was before the drought.

“I think it’s unfair if we’re using less water and our rates are going up just cause they cant pay the bills seems like a problem at the top level not that the people should have to pay,” said one consumer.

But DWP customer Ken Wong says he doesn’t mind the increase.

“They have fixed expenses and they can’t reduce it without laying off people so that’s not good,” said Wong.

Paige reports there could be more hikes to come. In December, DW{ will ask for a slightly larger rate increase — they say — to fix its aging infrastructure.

Image for post Californians are using less water to comply with drought restrictions! Now the DWP (Dept. of Water and Power) wants a rate increase. That is NOT fair. Amirite?
Drues avatar Countries & Places
1 10
The people are still deciding if Drue is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Full disclosure. I am not familiar with what is going on in California in regards to the DWP.

Is it possible the rates are being raised in accordance with supply and demand? If there is a shortage of water, people are going to experience hardship and perhaps suffering, regardless of what is or is not done.

Raising the rates could conceivably be an effort to reduce demand.

@PhilboydStudge Full disclosure. I am not familiar with what is going on in California in regards to the DWP. Is it possible the...

No Californians are complying with the water restrictions. Water use has gone down dramatically. If you are a water abuser you will get fined. This is something different!

I remember what you told me, about how little you were allowed to use. Absolutley unfair, but when has a utlity company ever been fair or logical?

These people will look for any reason to raise rates. People are being penalized for complying with the mandatory water restrictions. Utter Bullshit!

If people use less water then they have to charge less not more. This right here makes me doubt the drought. Seems like more of a money trap and a control tactic against people

@dru18 "Doubt the drought"? Have you been watching or reading the news?

When the government wants to charge an insane amount and force you to use less. I question the government controlled news

@Anonymousmouse When the government wants to charge an insane amount and force you to use less. I question the government...

Not just the news, but on talk shows too. Even the author of this post says there has been no rain in months and months.