Approximately when was the first book of the bible written?

Although many of the stories in the bible are pre written history, when and what was the first book written, that is in the bible? This is not a "troll" question, I am wondering how many of the folks on Amirite actually knows.

Seedy3s avatar Religion
1 9
@2137856

That is what many would like you to believe, but in all honesty the earliest book was chapters 12-27 of Deuteronomy written in the 8th century BCE and the newest book is the gospel of John and Revelation written around the turn of the 2nd century CE. Most of the books are anonymous, and rewritten edited and redacted, so no one knows who wrote much of the bible. The idea that it was 40 different authors is more like 400 different authors and editors.

@Seedy3 That is what many would like you to believe, but in all honesty the earliest book was chapters 12-27 of Deuteronomy...

I think the earliest known "version" was recorded around 1600 BCE (tablets inscribed with early Sumerian symbols, if I remember correctly).

some claim it mentions the creation of the earth as a dwelling place for animals and a flood that wipes out most living creatures.

Don't know, but I think it's safe to assume many of the stories were originally oral lore.

@PhilboydStudge Don't know, but I think it's safe to assume many of the stories were originally oral lore.

Yes, the oral traditions were quite early, some of them from as early as the 16th century BCE, many were also borrowed from other cultures around the area.

A long time ago. But I'm not sure about the reprints.