Is an act of kindness and generosity performed by an Atheist false because it is not done in the name of God?

Image for post Is an act of kindness and generosity performed by an Atheist false because it is not done in the name of God?
Life
8 95

Of course not. A seemingly kind and or generous act could only be considered "false", if it's motivated by some kind of malice or phoniness.

There are a lot of good and decent atheists, they just don't believe the way I do, but that doesn't make them bad people.

@2139527

You're very welcome.

No. Funny that anyone should even think that.

Unless the person performing the act is being deceitful or has some hidden agenda, the act is genuine. This is true regardless of a person's age, race, sex, religion, etc..

Absolutely not. :-)

If you do good deeds for god and not simply for your fellow human than you are actually helping yourself and not your fellow man.

No, but neither is an act of kindness false because someone believes in God. It goes both ways.

Nope. Tons of people - regardless of religious views - make false acts of kindness everyday without God(s) ever crossing their minds.

@2140258

That's true. The hungry kid in Ecuador doesn't care about your tax write off when you give to Food for the Poor.

Incorrect. It shows that they are a kind and generous person, not because of a deity, but because they are just kind and generous.

As an Atheist, I sure hope not. Otherwise, the money I donated last week to 20|20|20 would be for nothing.

@Budwick The money you donated is for the benefit of the charity, not for brownie points.

I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm not looking for brownie points. I just joined this site and didn't do so, so that I could brag about donating money. The question was whether my generosity or any atheists generosity was false, given that I don't believe in a god. My hope that my donation would not be in vain.

@SimonSays I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm not looking for brownie points. I just joined this site and didn't do so...

Both comments sure sound like there must be some ulterior motive to your charity.

"the money I donated last week to 20|20|20 would be for nothing."

"My hope that my donation would not be in vain."

Wasn't your reason in giving to charity to help the charity? And, if so, how could your gift be for nothing, or in vain?

And, how does being atheist figure into the equation?

@Budwick Both comments sure sound like there must be some ulterior motive to your charity. "the money I donated last week...

I was answering the question and making a point. I still don't get what point you are trying to make. Why is my mentioning that I donated money to a worthy cause so frustrating to you?

I think I aptly understood the question and replied with a clear argument against the notion that charity by an atheist is false because, a lack of belief in a god.

You can go on arguing whatever point it is you are trying to make and I am willing to listen, but it's still not clear to me what that point it.

@SimonSays I was answering the question and making a point. I still don't get what point you are trying to make. Why is my...

It's not a big deal Simon - if I'm unable to get my point across this time, I suggest we let it go.

Mentioning the donated money is not an issue. Having concern that it was for nothing or in vain is what has me puzzled.

@Budwick It's not a big deal Simon - if I'm unable to get my point across this time, I suggest we let it go. Mentioning the...

Oh, well now it makes sense. a smilie

I knew personally that my charity was not in vain, the point I was trying to make was that I hope other people who were not atheists would understand that. Actually, I'm happy we had this longer more nuanced discussion about it.

Thank you!

@SimonSays Oh, well now it makes sense. I knew personally that my charity was not in vain, the point I was trying to...

Yeah, I like that the conversation never went nuclear too.

Not all believers or atheists are the same of course, but I can't imagine anyone's thought process that would bring them to the conclusion that a charitable contribution from anyone would be in vain.

Now, I also know that there are some people in general that do things for the wrong reasons. You know the ones - "look at me! I'm wonderful! I've saved a puppy! I gave money and a lot of it to XYZ"

I never understood that way - and I'm guessing you don't either. And that is very cool.

Rock on my friend. [I reserve the right to pray for you! - no charge.]

When has an Atheist ever preformed an act of kindness or generosity?

No, I don't think so. If the kind, generous act was accompanied by stuff like, "Look at me me doing something womderful", then it's false - regardless of athiest, Christian, whatever. Be humble man.

What do you mean by an action being false?

@PhilboydStudge What do you mean by an action being false?

I think it's meant in the same sense of your question. In other words, I think you are pretending not to understand, maybe looking for a slip-up to jam down someones throat.

Or, maybe you just don't understand common vernacular.

@Budwick I think it's meant in the same sense of your question. In other words, I think you are pretending not to...

Is that what you think of me?

Actually it's probably the I was think "false" as in "not true". This made no sense to me.

How about posting your comments with a name. nme smilie

@2140877

What? I am talking about the person who started this question.

@2141621

Stop posting anonymously. xp smilie

Whether you believe God or not we all have the ability to know what's morally right. It's a human instinct God gave us despite beliefs.

Intent is what matter. And I'm a Christian saying this.

Daaaaaa no. Kindness to others is prompted by human emotions,?which have NOTHING to do with theism.

@Daver Daaaaaa no. Kindness to others is prompted by human emotions,?which have NOTHING to do with theism.

actually, without God, terrible things are equally possible. if we are just animals then their is no argument to be good because animals do not act based on what is good, they act based on the animal instinct, if that be murder, rape, etc then they do it. God gave Humans the ability to reason and to think before we act. if their is no God then their is no reason to hate on those who act like animals

no, it is not false, but good works is not what gets you into heaven.