+14

"War of the worlds"(by Orson Welles) the overall greatest Halloween prank, ever!

On Halloween night, 1938, Orson Welles radio broadcast scared millions of people across the nation. It created traffic jams, and stranded people in the middle of nowhere because they ran out of gas trying to escape the impending invasion of Martians (some thought it was the Nazis).

Image for post "War of the worlds"(by Orson Welles) the overall greatest Halloween prank, ever!
Seedy3s avatar Language
5 7
@2143787

I was just watching a documentary about the radio production, it was quite interesting. I think Orson Welles was a genius. He really did the performance as a Halloween prank.

Yes indeed. Mr Welles did inform his listeners that it was just fiction, when he heard of the mass hysteria his broadcast was causing.

I like the Jeff Wayne's album of War of the Worlds, too.

I remember learning about that in school. Cool story. y smilie

@2144293

According to the documentary I watched the disclaimer was given at the beginning and was not restated until the trouble started.

I don't think that part was intentional. lol

Yes.