What do you think of the $15 min. wage?

Image for post What do you think of the $15 min. wage?
HDRiders avatar Law
5 154

It's just a temporary number. Nexdt year will be a different one.

@2157812

You really are dreaming on that one!

@2161180

They would have better personality too!

The higher the minimum wage the higher prices will rise. What about a profit sharing instead?

@Sukiesnow The higher the minimum wage the higher prices will rise. What about a profit sharing instead?

Allegedly, the people demanding $15 are trying to support themselves and their family. So, we already know they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. You want to convince them to accept the $7.55 they were making with a promise of profit sharing?

Please, tell me I've misunderstood.

@2156588

Then raising minimum wage will only serve to hurt low skilled workers even more.

Business had no alternative to relocation other than simply closing shop. Government agencies like EPA regulated them out. Union wages chased them out. $15 per hour floor sweepers won't lure them back.

If someone expects to make $15 per hour, they have to contribute at least that much to the business. That is plain old economics.

@2160925

And how has it worked out for the economy and employment?

Keep your eyes on the prize Gispix. Hurting business doesn't do any good for anyone. Making an environment where business can prosper does more than help the business - it helps it's employees, future employees, investors, related business', local and federal government, etc.

@2160935

I've deflected nothing! I've answered each bullshit question with a direct response. Giving answers you don't agree with is not deflection.

Big business better than ever? Wasn't it you that said that they had all left the country? That no jobs were available? Which is it Glispix?

@2160925

Please, show me where I wrote that " people work min. wage jobs because they are too stupid to work anything else"

I did say that people demanding $15/hr minimum wage are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. But many of them are making a good living in democrat politics.

@2161018

So, you can't find where I said that either. Why is it that you simply can't recognize your error and apologize?

Confusing the issue with red state / blue state isn't helpful. Adding welfare to the mix seems contradictory to an employment issue anyway. But, I agree the mess has red and blue fingerprints on it everywhere.

@2161087

I suppose that's supposed to be a compliment - so, thanks. But honestly Glispix, read what YOU wrote, the claims you made. I only defended myself.

Our POV's once again are not that different. We should be backing one another.

Please don't read into what I or others say. If you need clarification, it's probably better to ask for it. If someone is so far off track, you don't have to twist their words - what they say will hang 'em just fine as is.

Have a pleasant day.

@Budwick Allegedly, the people demanding $15 are trying to support themselves and their family. So, we already know they...

Ha ha... People on a minimum wage can only support themself if other people they live with are making money as well...

Where did you get the entertaining concept that people on minimum wage should be able to support themselves? That's so 60s of you.

Minimum wage is a circle that brings you back to where you started. It's used as political talking points for politicians.

without wide spread measures in other areas of government and business it will only cause inflation. if we want money to be worth something we have to make processes and products easier to produce and/or execute. we as consumers must also refuse to over pay for objects and services forcing industry to make the advances in production and services.

in short
1.dont over pay for services
2.support research in industry
3.work hard because it lowers costs for everyone.

Flipping burgers is not meant to be a life goal nor should it be. Get the job then improve your skills to earn the next increase. Keep going until you make manager. Now you have the skills to start at the bottom rung of the next ladder and keep moving up. I'll make my own burgers before I'll pay $15/hr to entry level flippers.

Notwithstanding the concerns that go along with artificial price floors, I support a staged increase in the minimum wage.

Someone in the US working full-time at the current minimum wage will earn $15,080. I have read that millions of people do just this, but still need to receive government subsidies (food stamps, earn income tax credit, etc) to keep them out of poverty.

If this is true, are tax payers not subsidizing the companies who employ minimum wage workers?

@PhilboydStudge Notwithstanding the concerns that go along with artificial price floors, I support a staged increase in the minimum...

Someone so stupid as to believe that they will make enough to live on behind McDonalds fryer is destined to live at the benevolent teat of the taxpayer anyway.

Meanwhile, the student hoping to find a part time gig to pay for higher education will struggle that much harder to find such a job.

@2156585

They have no choice? And, why is that?

@2161076

I semi-disagree with that. I think it's an issue that needs to be looked at on a case by case individual level. Good paying jobs are out there that at most require some sort of simple certification to get into.

Take truck driving for example. There's a HUGE demand for truck drivers. Trucking companies are offering great pay with benefits and many companies will reimburse the cost of CDL training. It's just a matter of how willing people are to be on the road for weeks at a time. But hey, if you got mouths to feed and bills to pay, then sometimes you gotta suck it up and put in the time.

But you definitely can't say there aren't any jobs out there. Still, I acknowledge it's not always that easy. Which is why you gotta look at an individual's specific circumstances.

@2161079

Most service based jobs are part time too..
$15 may sound good now,but in 7 to 10 yrs. it will feel like $7.50..I've always thought food stamps should have a 3 to 5 yr limit,or
weed out the abusers and use that money for job training..legitimate NEED is one thing,but for some it's a way of life...

@2161081

It will get people off food stamps hence saving taxpayers

http://www.smh.com.au/national/...604-39is5.html

@2190085

Do you enjoy paying for food stamps and tipping? We don't do either in Australia

@2190087

I think it's degrading no better than begging. We don't have food stamps because people are all on decent wages. I'm not trolling, I can have an opinion

@2190090

Enforcing HAHAHA Americans HATE to think they do anything wrong...don't they? When you are getting paid well over $20 an hour you are NEVER rude

@2190097

There are plenty of Americans on Australian sites, just because you chose to be an ignoramous

@2190099

DAMN IT..shoulda read the fine print.....

@2190099

I was t talking about this site lol I said Australian sites, I have plenty of a,era an friends on my Australian sites. Oh brother...do you know anything about the big wide world lol

@2190106

Maybe you should learn about the world Glispix, obviously America has it wrong

@2190110

What excessive heat lol it snows here in Australia doofus lol

@2190116

90 where we are as big as America lol

@2190122

Who said anything about massive illegal population lol

@2190129

Oh it's you Starz

@2190134

I don't like people who swear..

@2190110

We are a very big country you know...

@2190119

Jealous MUCH do tell me where it was 90 lol what a muppet

@2190123

I'm in Queensland and it's the middle of summer. What are the temps in Texas in summer lol

@2190128

I really get up your nose, why not just block me?

@2190090

Waiter/Waitress Salary (Australia)

Hourly Rate
AU- AU$20.53

Overtime
AU$25.13
National Annualized Data (?)
AU$54K
Bonus

• AU$102.03
    Profit Sharing
    AU$50.00
    Total Pay (?)
    AU$- AU$43,684
@2190100

Ridiculous BUT we have a strong economy ....go figure lol

@2190100

Aussies: Believe you should look out for your mates.
Brits: Believe that you should look out for those people who belong to your club.
Americans: Believe that people should look out for and take care of themselves.
Canadians: Believe that that is the government's job.

Aussies: Dislike being mistaken for Pommies (Brits) when abroad.
Canadians: Are rather indignant about being mistaken for Americans when abroad.
Americans: Encourage being mistaken for Canadians when abroad.
Brits: Can't possibly be mistaken for anyone else when abroad.

Canadians: Endure bitterly cold winters and are proud of it.
Brits: Endure oppressively wet and dreary winters and are proud of it.
Americans: Don't have to do either, and couldn't care less.
Aussies: Don't understand what inclement weather means.

Americans: Drink weak, pissy-tasting beer.
Canadians: Drink strong, pissy-tasting beer.
Brits: Drink warm, beery-tasting piss.
Aussies: Drink anything with alcohol in it.

Americans: Seem to think that poverty and failure are morally suspect.
Canadians: Seem to believe that wealth and success are morally suspect.
Brits: Seem to believe that wealth, poverty, success, and failure are inherited.
Aussies: Seem to think that none of this matters after several beers.

Brits: Have produced many great comedians, celebrated by Canadians, ignored by Americans, and therefore not rich.
Aussies: Have produced comedians like Paul Hogan and Yahoo Serious.
Canadians: Have produced many great comedians such as John Candy, Martin Short, Jim Carrey, Dan Akroyd, and all the rest at SCTV.
Americans: Think that these people are American!

Americans: Spend most of their lives glued to the idiot box.
Canadians: Don't, but only because they can't get more American channels.
Brits: Pay a tax just so they can watch 4 channels.
Aussies: Export all their crappy programs, which no one there watches, to Britain, where everybody loves them.

Americans: Will jabber on incessantly about football, baseball and basketball.
Brits: Will jabber on incessantly about cricket, soccer and rugby.
Canadians: Will jabber on incessantly about hockey, hockey, hockey, and how they beat the Americans twice, playing baseball.
Aussies: Will jabber on incessantly about how they beat the Poms in every sport they played them in.

Aussies: Are extremely patriotic about their beer.
Americans: Are flag-waving, anthem-singing, and obsessively patriotic to the point of blindness.
Canadians: Can't agree on the words to their anthem, in either language, when they can be bothered to sing them.
Brits: Do not sing at all but prefer a large brass band to perform the anthem.

Brits: Are justifiably proud of the accomplishments of their past citizens.
Americans: Are justifiably proud of the accomplishments of their present citizens.
Canadians: Prattle on about how some of those great Americans were once Canadian.
Aussies: Waffle on about how some of their past citizens were once Outlaw Pommies, but none of that matters after several beers.

@2190132

Here is an Australian Comedian...

LiveLeak.com - Jim Jefferies on Gun Control

www.liveleak.com/view?i=89d_1411198955
Sep 20, 2014
Australian comedian Jim Jefferies has his opinion on American gun control. ... Tags: Jim ...

@AussieSharon Do you enjoy paying for food stamps and tipping? We don't do either in Australia

No tipping, eh? Well, at least you;re consistent - no reward for good work.

@2161076

Wait a minute - you're a lib! And you say the economy is terrible? Are you allowed to say that? No one can find a job? I thought Obama had fixed that!

My point is that liberal policies made the horrible conditions for business that closed or chased away manufacturing. Think carefully before asking libs to fix this too. There will be no low paying / entry level jobs at all.

@2161128

Remember that when a republican wins the white house next year.

@2161268

Sadly, that is hard to argue with.

@Budwick They have no choice? And, why is that?

So that attitude is what brought in class distinction in the US

@AussieSharon So that attitude is what brought in class distinction in the US

No Sweetie, that was Obama. He has worked hard for seven years now separating, dividing, every conceivable group in America and pitting them against one another.

@Budwick Someone so stupid as to believe that they will make enough to live on behind McDonalds fryer is destined to live at...

We pay people in how hard they work. Maybe that's why your country got flooded with Mexicans, Americans wouldn't work for peanuts. Sad state of affairs over there...

@ We pay people in how hard they work. Maybe that's why your...

And, who are you?

We pay people similarly, but flipping burgers ain't that hard.

By the way nameless nerd, did you know that many Australian McDonald's workers make less than the minimum your cute meme boasts? Cuz they have a sliding scale based on age. If your under 16 for example you only get paid $6.03 / hour?

Why didn't your meme share that information No Name Putz? Could it be be cause you are being dishonest?

I think most will lose their jobs.

I would support a maximum hourly compensation limit too.

The top executives at McDonald’s were paid an average of $1,220 an hour in 2014. That's just over $20 per minute. Even if that were cut drastically, to say $7.25 per minute, they would still make over $900,000 annually.

Are we concerned such an artificial ceiling would result in a shortage of CEOs? I doubt it.

@PhilboydStudge I would support a maximum hourly compensation limit too. The top executives at McDonald’s were paid an average...

Interesting ideas, but when did it become our right to tell other people and companies how much money they are allowed to make? I mean, maybe I would have a say if I owned a bunch of stock, or worked in the company, or owned one of their franchises.

@Will_Janitor Interesting ideas, but when did it become our right to tell other people and companies how much money they are...

Perhaps it comes from our willingness to fight for those rights. If our great grandparents hadn't put their foot down, there might not be child labor laws.

I'm reminded of the great words once spoken by Dennis the peasant:

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

@2158270

I absolutely agree with you and Will. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness are things to die for. It's just too bad some people aren't happy with being simple billionaires.

That's not gonna end well.

Supply and demand. Supply and demand. Supply and demand.

I often make 10 an hour and I am a professional person. Why should the uneducated mass make that much money?

The issue isn't minimum wage but rather the jobs people are willing to do. There are plenty of trade skill jobs out there that are struggling to be filled. These jobs pay much more than the minimum wage and also don't require a 4 year degree.

@2190094

The extra $7.00 an hour may be a help for some,but only if they're lucky enough to work a 40 hr week IMO...

@2190126

IMO,refusing to work should automatically
take any food stamp benefits away! I came close to needing them a while back in CA,
they said I qualified for $34.00 a month...lol
I stocked up on Top Ramen instead....lol

@2190136

Hey,I know...cash aid,food stamps should be a safety net,not a life preserver..amazes me what lengths people will go for a free ride..using your kid though is bottom feeder
IMO...

@2190146

All those state agencies are are under staffed,red tape up the wazzoo,and have needed to be overhauled decades ago

@2190149

Yup! ..It's easier to turn a blind eye and say..
"Can't see it from my house"the few that really want to change the status quo
eventually give up,or blow the whistle and get canned

@2190347

It will suck up what's left after taxes...if
it's someone trying to support a couple kids,rent,bills...they're in for a rude awakening.

I think it will cause many low paid workers to lose their jobs and raise prices to customers.

@AussieSharon

And, your point is? .......

@Budwick And, your point is? .......

Point is decent wages get people off food stamps, stops crime ect

@AussieSharon Point is decent wages get people off food stamps, stops crime ect

It's true that making more money gets people off food stamps etc. What's wrong with improving ones skills to get a better job and EARN more money?

@Budwick It's true that making more money gets people off food stamps etc. What's wrong with improving ones skills to get...

Someone had to do that job...,so you support bringing immigrants in for slave labour? Didn't that get America in a whole bunch of trouble with illegals. You employ an illegal here and it's a $70,000 fine

@AussieSharon Someone had to do that job...,so you support bringing immigrants in for slave labour? Didn't that get America in a...

What is your primary malfunction Sharon?

Your response to the suggestion of improving yourself to earn more money is slave labor?

Are you REALLY that opposed to effort on your own part?

@Budwick What is your primary malfunction Sharon? Your response to the suggestion of improving yourself to earn more...

Are you serious ? There will always be people who need to do these jobs. You sound a little like hitler "develop the perfect race"
Our fast food places are usually staffed by school kids but during the day they are not that busy and older people work there BUT we don't look down on these people like you do.
Hospitality is a very good career here.

@AussieSharon Are you serious ? There will always be people who need to do these jobs. You sound a little like hitler "develop...

So, you expect those kids to work their whole lives flipping burgers? Or, be replaced by a new batch of school kids each year and move on to bigger and better things?
Further, are you suggesting these school kids be paid $30K a year?

I don't look down on anyone with a job. I do have a problem with those holding menial jobs demanding wages garnered by professionals simply because they want it.

@Budwick So, you expect those kids to work their whole lives flipping burgers? Or, be replaced by a new batch of school...

All my kids worked at Maccas when they were at school. Depends on their age, once they are 18 they are paid $18 hr my youngest son worked at IGA supermarket when he left school for a year and he was on $17hr, he worked his guts out when he was there, earned every cent.
Mental or Physical makes no difference to me they all work hard

@AussieSharon It will get people OFF food stamps, saving the tax payer

For most, it will worsen their condition - no one is going to pay burger flippers and floor sweepers $30K. They will lose their jobs.

@AussieSharon Why??? They work bloody hard and deserve a decent wage

You see, that's the point Sharon - they can train a monkey to sweep the floors literally for peanuts. And robot burger flippers don't pick their noses. The low skill workers are easily replaced or done away with. They don't contribute that much to the company. They are disposable. And, that's why no one is going to pay burger flippers and floor sweepers $30K.

A waste of time. Inflation would correct it quickly and skilled workers would suffer because employers have a way to pay them less than what they're worth.

I think it's too high,especially for fast food workers.People who have a higher education then that,don't get 15.00

@hootowl I think it's too high,especially for fast food workers.People who have a higher education then that,don't get 15.00

If the minimum wage rose to $15, then everyone currently making less than that would then make $15. I presume that all wages would be raised.

I find it silly. As the wages increase, so do the price of goods. And then we're back where we started. Or you get replaced by technology when you become too expensive.

I don't mind.

For those who work fast food or retail jobs, they are probably throwing their hands in the air while companies are crying themselves to sleep.

I think it's wonderful.

those who demand 15$ wages should be the FIRST to pay for the consequences of their demands

companies going more to computers, food prices and living cost going up to match the wage, putting people at no better place then before. increasing minimum wages helps NO ONE

@AussieSharon

Population in Australia..approx. 23,000,000
Population is US approx. 300,000,000