If you knew ahead of time that you would be grieving over the loss of a loved one,a friend,or an acquaintance as a result of a mass shooting,would your views on ANY type of gun control change if it would prevent that shooting?

There has been another mass shooting in San Bernardino,CA.The San Bernardino Regional Center,a facility for developmentally disabled.Reports of at least 14 dead,and 12 to 20 wounded.No one ever thinks something like this will ever touch them personally,
and I'm one of them.It can,it has..I know someone who works there.
His wife has spoken to him,he is still in a lock down part
of the buildings..not a lot of details yet other than what I'm seeing on news.

Image for post If you knew ahead of time that you would be grieving over the loss of a loved one,a friend,or an acquaintance as a result of a mass shooting,would your views on ANY type of gun control change if it would prevent that shooting?
ChloeIsabellas avatar Politics
7 173
@2178427

I've never had an issue with the "right"..my issue is with
the total and absolute refusal to even consider ANY type
of enhanced background checks,etc...the "right to bear arms" wasn't intended to mean the right to bear as many.and any type of arms made,IMO.
Thanx Mel..:)

@2177836

TY..I've known her for 20 yrs. and her husband for 14..I used to live in Riverside CA before moving north.I saw it on news before she even called...there has to be some sort of middle ground between 2nd amendment and the rest of us..

@2177867

I don't blame anyone except the men who did the shooting...

@2177875

IKH..the center would not be on any ones radar as a target

Mine hasn't and I do know two youngsters whose LA school thwarted what could have been a serious shooting on their campus, thanks to classmates who heard of the plot and exposed it.

It was terrifying to find out this was going on in their school and could have played out... and you know that took serious guts to expose their own friends like that.

My position hasn't change because of that situation. Ultimately it was personal awareness, not policy, that brought down the perpetrators. I don't know what I would say had it played out differently, I'm just thankful it didn't.

Glad your friend is safe!

@ChloeIsabella TY Fork..:)

Most welcome, heard any news? He wasn't harmed, I hope.

@ForkNdaRoad Most welcome, heard any news? He wasn't harmed, I hope.

His wife called yesterday afternoon to tell me he was fine...ty for asking...scariest feeling,can't imagine how she felt.

@ChloeIsabella His wife called yesterday afternoon to tell me he was fine...ty for asking...scariest feeling,can't imagine how she...

Excellent, glad to hear it. I can't imagine either and same for those who lost loved ones. To lose someone so randomly and needlessly is unimaginable.

No, my position would not change. Prayers go out to the entire community and to all those affected by this horrific assault.

No because I can't honestly envision any amount of gun control laws that could prevent someone who's determined to kill as many as they can (knowing they'll probably be killed in the process). How can madness like that be "controlled"? If I did lose someone to a mass shooting, odds are they would've been in a gun free zone at the time, since that's where most mass shootings occur.

@faceman No because I can't honestly envision any amount of gun control laws that could prevent someone who's determined to...

Emotional claims that the right to possess deadly weapons is so important that it is protected by the federal Constitution makes any intelligent debate impossible.
Public policies concerning gun control should be decided by the voters’ elected representatives, not by federal judges

@2178151

shock smilie I'd like to see ANYONE,lib,con,etc.,come up with something that works for everyone...

@2179020

Well I have to disagree that it's the "only"
way.I don't support restricting any legal,law abiding citizen the "right to bear arms",but
one group i.e. the NRA uses the 2nd Amendment to kill any chance of making
any reasonable changes.
NRA can ruin a political career,or make a president..Ronald Reagan is an example,
as is George W. Bush.No private or public group or lobbyists should have that much power..NRA headquarters has on it's lobby wall,
“.. the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” but
this part,
“A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state,"
that part is edited out,and "marksmanship"
and "safety" no longer appear.

@ChloeIsabella Well I have to disagree that it's the "only" way.I don't support restricting any legal,law abiding citizen the...

Over 90% of the people in a few national polls favored some kind of stronger gun legislation yet our legislators refuse to take action. It is obvious that our government is NOT representing the people.

@2179374

I don't consider myself a "leftist",but the
name gets tossed when any type of gun
legislation is mentioned.You are required to
have your car registered,you register to vote
so why do stricter background checks spark
such a reaction...

@2179352

Stronger gun control will NOT prevent us from owning guns. It will NOT take away our constitutional rights. It MIGHT prevent some, who should not own guns from getting them.

@Cantstop Stronger gun control will NOT prevent us from owning guns. It will NOT take away our constitutional rights. It...

I don't want to prevent the law abiding
citizen from owning guns..but stricter
background checks is a start.Doing nothing,
changes nothing.

@2179356

“well-regulated" seems to get left out too...

@2179111

2) As far as I know, the words 'marksmanship' and 'safety' have never appeared in the second amendment.
HEY!! I KNOW ,no need for THAT!! "safety",and "marksmanship" USED to be on the front of the NRA headquarters

@ChloeIsabella 2) As far as I know, the words 'marksmanship' and 'safety' have never appeared in the second amendment. HEY!! I...

Look Xara,we both know we will NEVER come to any thing close to understanding each others position,so lets agree to disagree...:) BUT I firmly believe the
Founders never intended to create an unregulated individual right to a gun

@2178174

TY MH..it wasn't my reason for the post..I've always wanted to see what the responses would be,but any discussions usually end up as less than "civilized",so my inner sissy always won out..lol

I'm sorry this shooting has caused you pain. Most everyone believes they will never be affected by a mass shooting on such a personal level.

I would do almost anything to save a loved one. Who wouldn't? That is why I don't give much credence to thought experiments like "would you be X if you knew it would save a loved one".

I'd say the "claims" are true, since the Framers stuck that protection in an Amendment immediately after the first. Still "above the fold" so to speak.

@faceman I'd say the "claims" are true, since the Framers stuck that protection in an Amendment immediately after the...

The first 10 amendments to the Constitution placed limits on the powers of the new federal government. Concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the separate states led to the adoption of the Second Amendment, which provides that “a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

@ChloeIsabella The first 10 amendments to the Constitution placed limits on the powers of the new federal government. Concern that...

That threat never went away. The 10th Amendment limits the power of the Federal gov't, but only on paper. The 2nd Amendment provides the moxie.

Myself, I support common sense gun control measures already. So my views wouldn't change. And they didn't change after I did lose a loved one as a result of a shooting.

I do not own a single firearm, I did many years ago, the laws that are in question has mainly to do with pistols not rifles (long guns) the most recient shootings and many in the last few have had rifles involved, and that is not generally covered in the "Gun acts"

No. I would know that my loved one was armed and at least had a chance to save himself or someone else and blow the lowlife away.

Yes, but I am already for common sense gun control which this country does NOT have.

And anybody who answered NO on this post is a fool.

@dru18 Yes, but I am already for common sense gun control which this country does NOT have. And anybody who answered NO...

WHOA!! I don't consider anyone who replies here a "fool"..I
may not agree completely with their views,I haven't resorted
to name calling..and I'd appreciate it if you didn't either.

@ChloeIsabella WHOA!! I don't consider anyone who replies here a "fool"..I may not agree completely with their views,I haven't...

Name calling?? You have got to be kidding.

I am over 18 and I will use the language I chose.

@dru18 Name calling?? You have got to be kidding. I am over 18 and I will use the language I chose.

WOW! No,I wasn't kidding,and my request wasn't out of line. For someone over 18,you are acting pretty childish..and you could have saved the email and posted it here,I'd have survived.

@ChloeIsabella WOW! No,I wasn't kidding,and my request wasn't out of line. For someone over 18,you are acting pretty childish..and...

Word of advice to you. Be grateful when those take an interest in your posts and never try to censor or lecture.

If I was going around and calling names to each individual then your concern would be valid. But to make a sweeping remark..... not so much.

Anyway, have a nice evening.

@dru18 Word of advice to you. Be grateful when those take an interest in your posts and never try to censor or lecture...

I didn't ask for advice,and considering some of the posts you've made,you're in no position to give any.

@ChloeIsabella I didn't ask for advice,and considering some of the posts you've made,you're in no position to give any.

Oh Fuck me, just got a look at your friends, and I thought my opinion would be appreciated by you??

No wonder you are a snarky dip shit. Now take you fake moral high ground and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Good evening.

@dru18 Oh Fuck me, just got a look at your friends, and I thought my opinion would be appreciated by you?? No wonder you...

Well damn it all to hell!! There goes my social standing in the community.
Don't you just hate it when you try and
be nice to someone and WHAM,the REAL
you makes an appearance!! Congrats,you
broke your old time by a full 15 seconds!!

@ChloeIsabella Well damn it all to hell!! There goes my social standing in the community. Don't you just hate it when you try...

"Don't you hate it when you try and be nice to someone....."?

I know you aren't talking about yourself.

Anyway, found out you're a sock. Which makes you doubly unimportant.

@dru18 "Don't you hate it when you try and be nice to someone....."? I know you aren't talking about yourself. Anyway...

As a matter of fact,no,I wasn't talking about myself..I was talking about YOU!
LMAO..A sock!!

@2181231

Getting involved in something that doesn't concern you, I see.

@2181258

Since the person has more than one friend, I would say just narrowing it down to you, would be kinda of stupid and narcissistic. Wouldn't you agree?

This comment was deleted.
@2181291

That is exactly what I am telling you.

@2181325

LOL! You butthead.

lolwut smilie Now take you fake moral high ground and stuff it where the sun don't shine. lolwut smilie

Are you kidding us or just trying to kid yourself? You ride the highest horse of anyone on amirite.

ninja smilietroll smilie

@ Now take you fake moral high ground and stuff it where the sun don't shine. Are you kidding us...

"Troll" is the right word for you.

No, when I tell you to stuff something up your ass, I am usually not "kidding"

@2179767

Hey Zonkey, you caught me on the wrong day. Ever heard of staying the fuck out of people's business? When I see two supposed "friends" arguing, I usually take a step back, and keep my mouth SHUT.

@dru18 Hey Zonkey, you caught me on the wrong day. Ever heard of staying the fuck out of people's business? When I see two...

You have an amazing knack for making and keeping friends, Dru.

You will have to share your secret with us all sometime.

@2182749

Than I take it down and apologize.

@2179438

Nicht schlimm, aber hier ist besser:

@2179442

Yep, well that would explain a lot then.

This one allows me to embrace my inner Imperialist. Wie gefällt dir das?

@2179448

Mein ist auch ein bißchen "rusty". It's been a looong while. I used to study German, Russian and a little Japanese (just in case WWII ever had a sequel). I was born too late to be useful, I'm afraid.

@2179453

So da yo naaaaaaa!

Nihongo o hanasu koto ga dekimasu ka?

@2179457

Oh no... you posted J-Pop. Now I must puke.