DO YOU HOPE YOU OUTLIVE YOUR PET OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND?

I have always said that I am sick and tired of being the last one left when it comes to my pets. But what happens to the pet if I were to leave this life first? Animals, especially older ones, have been known to grieve themselves to death whenever their human companion dies. And if no family or friend is around to take them in, they face the possibility of being euthanized. Has anyone given thought to that? What would happen to your pet if she/he were the LAST ONES standing?

Image for post DO YOU HOPE YOU OUTLIVE YOUR PET OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND?
dru18s avatar
7 57

I don't hope either choice, but I've given a great deal of thought to what might happen to the animals I share my home and heart with, should I die before they do.
That is why I've discussed it with some friends and relatives, who have somewhat assured me that the four of them will be cared for, and not end up in a kill "shelter"". The cat who adopted ME over 17 years ago, I definitely hope I outlive. She doesn't really like anyone else, and she has diabetes now. Although she is beautiful and 'polite', her health issues are expensive.

@Piper2 I don't hope either choice, but I've given a great deal of thought to what might happen to the animals I share...

I hear you on that PIper. Both my dogs have health issues. One has seizures wich I keep under control with meds twice a day, the other one has low thyroid, once again controlled twice a day. Their meds run me about two hundred dollars a month. My one dog is twelve and healthy and d still active. I know my husband or my daughter would step in should something happen to me. Thank god for that😊

I've only had one pet, and he lived to be 17 years old. It's best to outlive your pets, or they might end of being abused or starved to death, unless you have provided for their care.

Right now my husband is my pet, and I've always told him that I want to die first, because I don't think I can make it without him. He's always taken care of me, and he can do just about anything....even cook. I've told him this for years, and we laugh about it, but I'm very serious.

@StarzAbove I've only had one pet, and he lived to be 17 years old. It's best to outlive your pets, or they might end of...

I feel the same way Starz. We have been together for so long we can finish each other's sentences. I would be totally lost without him. When I was in the hospital and didn't know if was coming home I made a list of suitable women I knew he could marry as I didn't want him to be alone. It pissed him off royally. LOL

Your husband is a pet? Or is it you only have him? He could die or you could, maybe a pet would be helpful in your home?

@2315248

That's good that you have a relative who is willing to step up.

I am tempted to say no to any other animals, but somehow I know I will be in my nineties and still have at least one kitty to dote on.

I don't relish either option. But realistically, I'm better able to care for myself than my pet is. I would hope someone would take over, but I can't be sure they would have the time or inclination to care for her as I do.

Pets are a serious responsibility and should be considered in making life plans.

@Will_Janitor Pets are a serious responsibility and should be considered in making life plans.

I agree Will! When I was little my whole family would gathered around in the living room to talk before adopting any animal. You are talking about the next 10-18 years of your life.

As much as I love my cat; I hope I outlive him with many, many years.

@dru18 He would be so lonely without you.

Yeah, but I know he would be taken good care of if anything happenedsmile smilie

dru18 I think anyone who loves a pet would have a backup plan for them just in case. I have asked people younger than myself to be foster parents when and if I die. I will never leave my sweet pup stranded. In fact, I had to be in hospital for a few days, my friend has a key and came to take her as soon as I called him.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred dru18 I think anyone who loves a pet would have a backup plan for them just in case. I have asked people younger...

You are one of those thoughtful people, who have planned ahead. Some people, (especially young people) do not. I hope they read your comment.

@dru18 You are one of those thoughtful people, who have planned ahead. Some people, (especially young people) do not. I...

Hey dru18 you figured that out for sure, I always plan ahead and probably always will. When I was a little kid someone in my neighborhood pulled legs and arms off dolls. So I had to figure out how to wiggle no arms or legs just in case. Thank God that rotten kid never got me.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my sister and I no longer have pets. We miss them, but as others have said, it's better to outlive your pets. While someone in our family would take any pets, I'd rather grieve for my pet than have them grieve for me.

@2315540

That's the best plan.

@2315540

What a lovely thing to say. You will all be together.

@2315713

I would hope so. You've got plenty of time to figure these things out. :)

That would be the one consideration to getting a Grey Parrot...I've heard they can live until their 90s...

No pet is going to outlive me...I couldn't let that happen to them...

@Sukiesnow That would be the one consideration to getting a Grey Parrot...I've heard they can live until their 90s... No pet...

I agree Sukie. Talk about unfinished business.

I have a tortoise, so I am concerned about him. One of my friends has four Parrots and she is leaving them in a will to her friends.

I hope I outlive my pet, only because I wouldn't want my pet to end up in the wrong hands. Also, your pet should be surrounded by the people they love before they pass, right? :)

@redmask38 I hope I outlive my pet, only because I wouldn't want my pet to end up in the wrong hands. Also, your pet should be...

My last four cats died in my arms. I agree, they should not die alone.

I would be worried about the first part too redmask. I wouldn't want them to end up with anyone who would be impatient with them.

@dru18 My last four cats died in my arms. I agree, they should not die alone. I would be worried about the first part...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've lost five cats in my lifetime as well. It was very sad, but I was glad they lived a happy life. While your pets may seem a small part of your world, you mean everything to them and you should play with them and give them treats and pet them whenever you can, because this is their life.

@redmask38 I'm really sorry to hear that. I've lost five cats in my lifetime as well. It was very sad, but I was glad they...

Very well written, and thank you for understanding them.

We have our friends, work, and entertainment, but we are their whole world.

I agree, I walk my dogs two miles in the morning and another two at night. There are times I don't feel like it, however they are so excited to go. I find myself thinking thirty minutes of my day, makes their whole day. I do it. ( groan )😊

@BarbOBarr I agree, I walk my dogs two miles in the morning and another two at night. There are times I don't feel like it...

BarbO - Good for you, I am lucky my dog knows how to run on a lung line like a horse. 16 ft big circles of flat out running gets her panting and tired out without me walking miles. Terriers are such busy little things, only a large family with kids could wear one out.

I have outlived many pound puppies over the years and it is hard to lose them. My adult children are as soft hearted over them as I am so I will get another dog and know that even if I am gone, it will get the best of care. That's how my kids were raised. the first "job" they had was to feed and care for the dogs. That starts a little after two years old and chores keep being added as the child grows. So, no worries for the pets.

dont have a pet.

@_Sid_ dont have a pet.

People in India don't have pets. Why is that, Sid?

when i can hardly afford my self how can i afford a pet!!

@_Sid_ when i can hardly afford my self how can i afford a pet!!

I hear you Sid. I have gone into debt over my pets. Veterinarian bills today are outrageous.

once when i was under fifteen i had domesticated a parrot. Every day i would let him free form cage and have a stroll in my room. Specialy in the morning we would hang his cage outside and many parrots visit him and they had a literal conference as if the parrot inside the cage grieveing other about his captive state and other rapports consol him. And then i realized that i have commited a huge mistake. They mean to be in the sky like a free soul. One day when his wings grown fully i let him free go go live your life and i am sorry. I cried. When he took a flight in the sky it was my happiest day of my life.

Well, I worry that if she outlives me, no one will take care of her. It sucks either way.

I have also been thinking about that. We can not always choose about who outlives whom, but we can plan things with family and friends, and the local animal protection organisation, from where we adopt our pet.

I will outlive my sweet pup, they only last 12 - 15 years. I know this and dread the day she will be gone as have so many before.When I was breeding and selling my own dogs they lived longer, but sweet dogs have short lives.

I have. That was my argument with our last 2 cats. I obviously lost that one but at least o made my point for the future. Ha!

A bit odd for a question, most pets are cats and dogs and they live around 15 years, so no I wouldn't hope my pet outlives me, unless my pet is a giant Galapagos turtle.

I have had people tell me if they ever passed and had to come back as animal it would be one of my dogs. I don't think anyone can take better care of my guys than me. I'm lucky that both my kids love them and know them well. We've had discussions that my daughter would take them. Thank god they love her and know her so well.

@BarbOBarr I have had people tell me if they ever passed and had to come back as animal it would be one of my dogs. I don't...

You are dogs are indeed lucky. You not only love and take wonderful care of them ,but you listen as well.

I will have to discuss with you and my other friends regarding the fate of my cats. Especially the baby.

Please Β  login Β  or signup Β  to leave a comment.