Are You Proud To Be An American?

A recent Gallup poll says - As the nation gets into full election mode, 52% of U.S. adults say they are "extremely proud" to be Americans, a new low in Gallup's 16-year trend. Americans' patriotism spiked after 9/11, peaking at 70% in 2003, but has declined since, including an eight-percentage-point drop in early 2005 and a five-point drop since 2013.

Many blame liberal indoctrination of our kids in school and college. Others blame democrats and media.

Whatever the cause, fewer Americans love our country than ever before. (sigh.) What about you?

Image for post Are You Proud To Be An American?
Budwicks avatar Politics
5 66

I'm a proud, flag-flying American. I criticize may criticize the actions we have taken, but that should not be seen as unpatriotic.

Newsflash! Even liberal Democrats can love their country too.

And the answer is no, I won't debate you.

@crackers Newsflash! Even liberal Democrats can love their country too. And the answer is no, I won't debate you.

Good to know Crackers!

I hope they love America enough to not support a candidate that doesn't seem to give a rats behind about America.

Yes I am. Very proud and blessed that I live in this great country of ours.

@2337799

Rabid nationalism? Now, you see, nationalism - patriotism, American exceptionalism is kind of a corner stone for love of country if you ask me. Xenophobia is what progressives call concern for people from other countries infiltrating to do us harm. Trump is the only alternative to Hillary - who MUST be defeated.

I'm not sure we're cheering for the same team Logan.

@2337828

Reserved agreement.

Thing is Logan, pride of country doesn't mean discount of other countries. Yet, progressives would have us think so.

How is concern for Muslim immigration specious ? Ya see, stuff like this will keep us at odds. But to me, it makes perfect sense.

And Hillary is damaged goods. The recent Benghazi report (as well as the old) along with the FBI report of all she did wrong, carelessly, recklessly, without regard for national security makes her ineligible in my view. And honestly, I got to wonder about anyone willing to put someone with such questionable credentials in office.

I, like so many Americans, have earned the right to be at times, very proud, and at other times, to be ashamed, of my country.

@dru18 I, like so many Americans, have earned the right to be at times, very proud, and at other times, to be ashamed, of...

If we never criticized our country, we wouldn't strive to improve it.

I happen to love the fact I have that freedom. I think the founding fathers would agree.

@2338033

Since I was born and raised in America, like my generations before me, I have every right to dislike some of the things she does.

@dru18 Since I was born and raised in America, like my generations before me, I have every right to dislike some of the...

Of course! But I've read your laundry list of crap.

What the phuck do you expect to be done about slavery for example. There is no mare slavery - not here any way. It's been corrected. How about giving your country some credit for correcting something instead of endless bitching. We can't change the past DD. Get over it, or stop calling yourself a patriot and move to Saudi Arabia where you can still legitimately complain about slavery. Just do it quick.

@Budwick Of course! But I've read your laundry list of crap. What the phuck do you expect to be done about slavery for...

Budsie, Budsie, as if things aren't happening all the time when it comes to the government.

I gave you a "list" because you challenged me on my feelings of America.

I said I was proud,but also at times, ashamed. You seemed to have missed the first part.

Now if you're happy riding around with "Proud to be an American" bumper sticker, than go for it. The rest of us will our morals, intelligence, and experience, when paying respect to this country.

@dru18 Budsie, Budsie, as if things aren't happening all the time when it comes to the government. I gave you a "list"...

\DD - There is a problem, you're not the only one. Your attitude is like a festering sore that you keep picking at and it never heals as a result.

So, what shall we do in 2016 about the slavery that has been ended 150 years ago? Continue to bitch? Whine about the inhumanity? Or, shall we celebrate the fact that we no longer have slavery? I'm not suggesting that it be expunged from our history. Only that we don't dwell on it as if it were continuing.

There's plenty of BS that is STILL happening that you could legitimately complain about DD. Why not spend some time and energy correcting those things? It's almost like you would rather complain about the past rather than fix things for the future. Maybe that's the difference between conservatives and liberals.

@Budwick \DD - There is a problem, you're not the only one. Your attitude is like a festering sore that you keep picking at...

I agree, about the BS. Mostly from your party. Wars we should never have been involved in, countries that never should have been invaded, 98% of the people still at the poverty level, inflation growing, and salaries AREN'T!!

And the most your party can do, is blame Muslims, try to force 'trickle down CRAP policy', and keep the poor, POORER.

@dru18 I agree, about the BS. Mostly from your party. Wars we should never have been involved in, countries that never...

And now we revert to the progressive playbook - leave the topic at hand and blame it on Bush, Regan, anyone with an "R" behind their name.

Own your problems DD - there are many.

@2338742

I tell it the way I see it. As an American, I have that right.

@2339488

What the hell are you talking about now?

@dru18 Thank you! Someone who gets it!

Oh, we get it. You just don't like our criticism. Like Hillary's fitness to hold office for example.

@Budwick Oh, we get it. You just don't like our criticism. Like Hillary's fitness to hold office for example.

No, as usual, you don't get it.

Many things I have been ashamed of that this country has done.

1. slavery
2. violation of civil rights
3. Agent Orange
4. exposing men to chemicals during wars and the VA still not acknowledging that.
5. Communist witch hunt of the fifties.
6. Assassination of the Rosenbergs.

And the list goes on..................

@dru18 No, as usual, you don't get it. Many things I have been ashamed of that this country has done. 1. slavery 2...

DD - You are spewing leftist indoctrination crap.

Slavery has been over for several weeks now. It's been corrected - in OUR country. Good for us.

Same with civil rights

Agent Orange & VA is a valid concern. Of course, President Obama vowed to correct the VA ... no I won't go there.

Communists in the 50's - 66 years ago. Yes, it happened. There were in fact Communists in government and influential positions. Communists were the enemy at the time. It would be like discovering militant Jihadists in the Senate today. What's your problem with that?

The Rosenbergs were spies. Spies get executed, part of the deal.

You're a lot like Obama, thinking that America got where it is illegitimately and needs to be taken down a notch. ..... Oh, but you're a patriot! Don't dare say you're not!

Look on the bright side though DD. If Hillary wins, by the end of her first term I bet there will be a bounty offered for someone like me. You can turn me in and get you $0.38.

If Trump wins, you'll have ample opportunity to scurry back into what ever dark place you came from unscathed.

@Budwick DD - You are spewing leftist indoctrination crap. Slavery has been over for several weeks now. It's been...

Yes, I realize that these are things of the past....A SHAMEFUL PAST!

And whose to say about tomorrow. The VA is still not recognizing the veterans who were exposed, and that has been a concern LONG BEFORE Obama took office.

Bull! The Communist witch hunt was a farce to capitalize on America's fear at the time. It as directed by one man, who fortunately, was drummed out of Washington in disgrace. But not before ruining a lot of lives.

The Rosenbergs have since been found innocent.

And those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it. That would be you, Budwick.

@dru18 Yes, I realize that these are things of the past....A SHAMEFUL PAST! And whose to say about tomorrow. The VA is...

Get the phuck over the past DD.

A lot of things existed before Obama. But grab a handful of honesty if you can find some - Obama promised to fix the VA and did nothing. Same problems.

What you know about McCarthy and the Red Scare you learned from your own commie professors I'm guessing.

Rosenbergs - same prof I'd bet.

You're a commie DD! A brainwashed commie! No wonder you don't like it here. Please, feel free to leave and don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.

@Budwick Get the phuck over the past DD. A lot of things existed before Obama. But grab a handful of honesty if you can...

"Commie"? My, you do live in the past, don't you?

He came through on his promise to increase funding for the VA.

The VA will never acknowledge what the government secretly put those men through. And that is not, nor ever has been, Obama's fault.

No,actually I learned it from reading old news articles, watching specials, and from my parents, who to this day, are much wiser than I will ever be.

@dru18 "Commie"? My, you do live in the past, don't you? He came through on his promise to increase funding for the VA...

I live in the past? I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one bringing up 60-150 year old news DD.

More funding obviously is not the answer - although it's the only answer progressives ever have. The problems at the VA continue - in fact they are worse.

You wrote - "The VA will never acknowledge what the government secretly put those men through." Obama already acknowledged that the VA has done a shitty job.

@Budwick I live in the past? I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one bringing up 60-150 year old news DD. More funding obviously...

And Obama was suppose to come in and fix a problem that has been around for decades?

I think MOST of us have acknowledge that the VA has done a "shitty job". But once again, what was Obama suppose to do? He inherited two wars, a crappy economy, a collapse housing market etc...... from 'reckless criminal BUSH', but yet, he was suppose to fix EVERYTHING.

@dru18 And Obama was suppose to come in and fix a problem that has been around for decades? I think MOST of us have...

DD - Stop your stupid little dance. Slavery is NOT a problem for anyone to solve. It's just something for you to bitch about.

Obama can't fix the VA because he is incompetent and not all that concerned. The fact is - the VA is worse shape today than before he promised to fix it!

[Sniff] Wow, that is so powerful and moving! I can tell it came from the heart. [Although, it could have been the pancreas.] Please believe me DD, I feel exactly the same about you.

@Budwick [Sniff] Wow, that is so powerful and moving! I can tell it came from the heart. [Although, it could have been...

I speak the truth, and it comes from the brain, Budwick, a place you might not be too familiar with.

No, I'm particularly proud to be an American, but neither am I ashamed to be. I'm glad that this is my country of birth, and have never stopped "loving" it, just because things aren't going the way I think should.

@Piper2 No, I'm particularly proud to be an American, but neither am I ashamed to be. I'm glad that this is my country...

Same here. I am grateful to be an American citizen. I am also grateful to have the freedom to vote and voice my opinions.

There would be something wrong with me if I didn't have an opinion about how government should run.

I am proud of this country, warts and all. But, that doesn't keep me from appreciating what the people of other countries offer either. I've been to other countries and was ready to return to the freedoms that this country has to offer. I do have a hard time when some attack America for mistakes of the past especially when they are better off now than they would be if they stayed in those countries. No one makes people stay in America - that is one of the freedoms of this country.

I'm proud to be the same Russian-born American earthling today as I was yesterday.

Proud? Fortunate, perhaps, but proud? I didn't really have a say in the matter.
That's like saying you're proud of being born
What is there to be proud of?

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries simply because you were born in it. ~George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons. ~Bertrand Russell

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles. ~George Jean Nathan

@urwutuis Proud? Fortunate, perhaps, but proud? I didn't really have a say in the matter. That's like saying you're proud of...

What I'm hearing is that you haven't invested yourself much into the country and therefore it doesn't mean all that much to you. I guess I understand that. At least it's honest. Not admirable, but honest.

@Budwick What I'm hearing is that you haven't invested yourself much into the country and therefore it doesn't mean all that...

What you're hearing are the echoes of indoctrination propaganda that I choose not to take part in.
It doesn't mean all that much because it's stupid not the result of a lack of investment.

@urwutuis What you're hearing are the echoes of indoctrination propaganda that I choose not to take part in. It doesn't mean...

No, actually it's your own words. [But, I suppose they may be echoes of indoctrination propaganda]

@WilliamZichko

That was beautiful... and so true. The first step to fix a problem, is accepting there is a problem.

Yes! The best place on Earth!

@2337841

Bring it in Linn. I wanna give you a big American hug!Image in content

well...sometimes?

A lot of Americans live in America

Yes and I want America USA to stay the way it was while I was young. This new political correct let all the freaks in is no good IMO

I'm not American, but I have something to say.

I think blaming a political party for the "less love" of Americans now, it's part of the issue you're talking about. Not everything is about politics - and besides the people who are obsessed with politics, I have not met anyone who likes that kind of behaviour.

From the point of view of someone's outside: you all seem a little obsessed with politics and guns, and you don't appear concern with anything besides the US. You're a very popular country and you seem extremely narcissistic. And newer generations are more on the internet, so they have a good idea of your image outside your country. Saying you're proud of being an American when that's your image outside, it's kinda the same as saying "I'm proud to be an asshole." I don't think many people will be proud in saying that. If I had to blame something, is your "world image". There's a good image, and then there's a very bad one.

PS - that is not what I think of Americans and I know many Americans citizens who don't fit in this description.

Yes, I am very proud to be an American and I love my country!

Yes this post was up yesterday. Time to put it away.

Yes,very proud.

Yes, unlike MO