+9

Women in politics. There needs to be more effort made to bring women into politics...and they need encouragement and support... Comments, please.

Image for post **Women in politics.** //There needs to be more effort made to bring women into politics...and they need encouragement and support...// Comments, please.
Sukiesnows avatar Politics
4 101
@2349461

Is it possible that fewer women choose politics because it's less likely to be pretented as an option?

Your community has an huge impact on your dreams and aspirations.

@2349595

Presented by the community they grew up in. There has to be a reason why the distribution is so skewed. More than just "oh women just don't choose politics," "women choose lower paying jobs like becoming teachers rather than doctors"

well why? Is it because of social norms, expectations, etc?

@2349601

The same way it is presented to men.

Teachers and nurses are dominated by women.
Politics and doctors are dominated by men.

It's very skewed where authority and power is mostly in the hands of males

And change for that is going painstakingly slow

And you can't use the "men are physically stronger" argument since the most powerful positions do not require physical strength

@2349618

Those women are not the rule, though. They tend to be the exceptions.

And then why is it women are more willing to sacrifice career for family than men are? That's the option given in society

Yes you could go outside the norm, but let's be real, that doesn't happen often

As social creatures, humans don't wanna rock the boat so they'll stay within social norm. It's not much of a choice. More like this is what is expected of you so do it

And it is unfair that the society is built that way

@2349637

Actually no, the one in power has much more influence over social norms. They'll have more resources and opportunities to influence and create change

Those with less power will have to struggle a lot more to influence and change. Hence the reason, equal distribution is taking such a long time

Those norms were created when jobs were more about physical labor. With new inventions, physical labor continues to dwindle. Yet, it takes longer for social norms to change regardless of inventions

@2349646

It's true that there are those in power, but they're such a small population by comparison.

With work-life balance, both men and women can have it all

This is already happening albeit at a snails pace

@2349461

There is talk in Canada of more support "to bring women into politics"... We'd like to balance out the scales, here.

This was more based on bringing younger women into politics...

@2349863

Possibly in schools...politics seems to be intimidating...

Just the regular barriers that exist in male-dominant careers.

@2349893

Encouraging more women to go into politics...it seems more of a Canadian issue...

Women look very young, and sound very young....that is one big barrier to break through...and then later...they look too old....guess there is no winning with that one...lol

@2350025

I've thought about this and realize it is a Canadian issue...we treat politicans like scum...who wants to go into a career like that?

And about looking and sounding young...that is an issue for many people in new careers....it's not easy taking a dr seriously when they look about 12...

In school many industries will send representatives to encourage kids to think about a career in different fields.... But not so much in politics...that I remember... They don't do that in the US?

@2350158

3 female Premiers (of our Provinces, like your states), recently called Clinton nomination "a good start" but said sexism still prominent in politics...

It's a drawback here....perhaps not so much in the US. There is a lot of sexism in politics here... Hey, when I talk about my dentist people here still assume it's a male....

It will prolly still take some time...

@2351179

Good point.

Interesting... This is the sort of thought provoking material we've come to expect from you and you never let us down.

@2351247

What...! I don't get an uplove for that...?

For a totally unprecedented and new move for me btw.

I should be getting shouts from the rooftops....:)

I vote for the individuals whose politics line up with mine RATHER than their gender parts! That's why I voted for Marsha Blackburn and support Diane Black from Tennessee.

I always thought that women had the common sense to not get involved in stupid things like politics. ;)

Whatever...

@2349779

Lucky Britain...

@2349779

Poor Europe. Change your leadership. y smilie

@2352036

Why not. Why not give women a hand up in a field that's not easy to break into...as a woman.

@2352060

I know you're being scarred by Hilliary but after a few sessions in therapy you'll be fine.

@Sukiesnow Why not. Why not give women a hand up in a field that's not easy to break into...as a woman.

Right my business women's group encourages and helps young ladies get into construction, and other unusual jobs for a girl to look into. Now that machines do most of the hard work there is no need to rely on only men.

@2352036

They all look the same. Lol!

@cali93 They all look the same. Lol!

How about guys with black suits and attachés?

@2352758

Lol... I think that also deserved an upvote. And an uplove...if that wasn't you...!!

Have you gotten in contact with VicZinc, yet?

@2353401

No...he was on my post yesterday. I PM'd you...

@2353559

Go on my profile page...cursor down to a picture of tapestry, it's my post of This site is getting too predictable...

Reply to his comment! Tell him to come back! Apparently the site is going to be changing soon...

@2353572

Apparently they are still working on the comments we made about 5-6 months ago...

@2353594

Lol... Comments we made in response to AmiriteDevs post...improving this site...

@2353629

Maybe the site will be a little crazy!!

@2353641

Hahahaha...

There is currently more than sufficient effort to bring women into politics. The problem appears to be that not enough women are willing to put up with the degree of constant criticism from other people that politics inevitably entails. Not enough women have thick enough skins to deflect all the rough stuff.

@goblue1968 There is currently more than sufficient effort to bring women into politics. The problem appears to be that not...

If women start off in politics at an early age...that skin will grow a bit thicker...

Even being on SH and AM my skin has gotten thicker...(slap, slap!) ...see? I can hardly feel it, now. :)

@Sukiesnow If women start off in politics at an early age...that skin will grow a bit thicker... Even being on SH and AM my...

It's interesting that just this Sunday morning in our local newspaper there happened to be a front page article entitled "Number OF Women In Politics Low"! One of the reasons that the article cited for this was that more women are responsible for taking care of young children and they feel that they can't handle a job in political office and take care of the kids properly.

@goblue1968 It's interesting that just this Sunday morning in our local newspaper there happened to be a front page article...

Hey, good to know I'm plugged into the zeitgeist....:)

Too bad men don't feel more responsiblitiy to care for the kids, properly.

@2354309

Lol...! Or as Ser says...LOLz!!

This is the crux, the area where women need to rise in power...to maintain some equality with the opposite gender... For a better world.

No. Whoever is the better candidate that will be for freedom.

Merkel and Hillary are terrible examples.

Ya know, I thought about this a bit today, after Hillary was nominated. They must have mentioned 150 times that she is the first woman nominated. And, for some reason, it didn't seem like that big of deal to me.

Now, when Obama was nominated and elected, I DID recognize that as a big deal and had great hopes that all / some of the claims of America being racist could be put to bed. Unfortunately, Obama ended up fanning the flames of racism rather than putting them out - but I digress.

There's a lot of women in business and politics. There's only one presidential slot and in 240 years there's only been 44 of them elected. So, the opportunities are slim. But, I think America would have no problem with a qualified female president.

Any effort made to have more women I think needs to be done by those interested in politics. If it makes no difference to me whether a politician is male or female, why should I push one way or the other?

@Budwick Ya know, I thought about this a bit today, after Hillary was nominated. They must have mentioned 150 times that...

Because politics needs a more balanced approach.

And there are not that many women in politics, yet.

@Sukiesnow Because politics needs a more balanced approach. And there are not that many women in politics, yet.

I get the feeling you want me to support someone because they are a woman. Being female is not a political qualification.

@Budwick I get the feeling you want me to support someone because they are a woman. Being female is not a political...

Of course. And she is qualified and eminently suitable... A president...as other people have told me...doesn't have much to do with running the country, anyway. So what have you got against her?

@Sukiesnow Of course. And she is qualified and eminently suitable... A president...as other people have told me...doesn't...

She isn't the least bit qualified. And, it has nothing to do with her gender. It's all about her corrupt and lying history.

The president has little to do with running the country? What do you think the president does then?

@Budwick She isn't the least bit qualified. And, it has nothing to do with her gender. It's all about her corrupt and...

She certainly is. As she was speaking at the convention., I felt a surge of confidence. What I get from Trump is man swagger like a boy.

Check my post. They said something about figurehead... A national figurehead is more or less a puppet.

@Sukiesnow She certainly is. As she was speaking at the convention., I felt a surge of confidence. What I get from Trump is...

Yeah, Chris Matthews reported that he felt a tingle when Obama gave his speech.

So all the crap she's been tagged for means nothing to you? But, you buy 'the president is a figurehead' hook line and sinker from people you don't know.

Have you experienced recent head trauma?

@Budwick Yeah, Chris Matthews reported that he felt a tingle when Obama gave his speech. So all the crap she's been...

If she is just a figurehead she can't do anymore wrong. And she has the most experience, is the most qualified.

@Budwick Sukie - The president of the United States is more than a figure head.

Hon...my strategy is that I ask Americans these questions...and then I come back and spew it all out... They said she the president is more or less a figurehead...

Effort? No let the women decide what they want to do. Some will be made for business or politics, others are most happy with home and family. It would be sad if there was never an opportunity for anyone but welfare recipients to be home with children.

@Sukiesnow Lorraine...there are also FATHERS...y'know?

Right I know there are fathers, but what good are they these days? Men have become so girly, Maybe they can stay home-and play house, still they aren't so good at the fine details at home like a woman.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Right I know there are fathers, but what good are they these days? Men have become so girly, Maybe they can...

Men can stay home and take care of the family. Women will just have to let go of having everything just so...

@2354195

Sometimes kids need support to go into atypical careers...ie: men into nursing, women into politics.

but we need to look at everyone's qualifications first...no choosing women just because they are women

lenas avatar lena Agree +1Reply
@lena but we need to look at everyone's qualifications first...no choosing women just because they are women

Of course...same qualifications but maybe a little more lenient to give women a jump up...

@2365550

Hi Brian. Yes I partly agree with you...women might not need help in America but they do in Canada.... Most women said they wouldn't get enough time to have children if they went into politics......hmm?

@2370672

Yes. But. It isn't lucrative also...especially not to women who are in their 20s...and that's the age we'd like them to start...they can have babies in their 30s. Get their husbands to stay at home.

@2370682

But...you had to go through the crap in order to realize this...

There are certain womens issues that only women will understand. There are a lot of things in this world men cant grasp as being a problem but to us are overpoweringly an issue

Anonymous