+19

We humans are amazing. Recently release view from a camera we sent to Jupiter. Jupiter! This is the view from the "south" pole allegedly taken by the Juno spacecraft in July. I like it.

Image for post We humans are amazing. Recently release view from a camera we sent to Jupiter.  Jupiter! This is the view from the "south" pole allegedly taken by the Juno spacecraft in July.  I like it.
VicZincs avatar Animals & Nature
6 22

The best of us do some pretty spectacular stuff ;)

@ForkNdaRoad The best of us do some pretty spectacular stuff ;)

We all do in our own way. Breathing is pretty amazing, right?

@VicZinc We all do in our own way. Breathing is pretty amazing, right?

Yes it is, especially when statistically you shouldn't be :)

Vic: I'm pouring cold water on your post. If us are so amazing why haven't we cured Alzheimers, among many. Don't hate me.

Yeah, it's pretty cool that we can send a camera that far and get pictures.

I think there's even a bigger story here though, something much bigger, much more significant than the long distance photo.

Long-period comets, in particular, enter the solar system from its outer reaches. Jupiter’s gravity is thought to sling most of these fast-moving ice balls out of the solar system before they can get close to Earth. So long-period comets are thought to strike Earth only on very long timescales of millions or tens of millions of years. Without Jupiter nearby, long-period comets would collide with our planet much more frequently.

The idea of Jupiter as protector was first proposed by planetary scientist George Wetherill in 1941. Wetherill showed that the planet's enormous mass — more than 300 times that of the Earth — is enough to catapult comets that might hit Earth, like a slingshot ,out of the Solar System.

Gosh, it's almost like the size, position, etc. of Jupiter was planned!

@VicZinc Obama's presidency seems planned too!

I'm sure it was.
The Internet has been thoroughly scrubbed of any mention of who planned Obama's presidency. Who ever it was came along way after the formation of the Solar System however. I don't think they can take credit for Jupiter.

@Budwick All of creation is part of God's plan.

Even Hillary winning the election?

@VicZinc Even Hillary winning the election?

Hillary qualifies as part of His creation.
Her election? No, no - that's up to the voters.

I'll be REALLY impressed when they find the Monolith on Jupiter. biggrin smilie

Hold. On. To. That. Thought.

What. Day. Is. Today.

Not. Your. Fault. Darling.

Allegedly? Trump supporter?

KB_s avatar KB_ Agree 0Reply
@KB_ Allegedly? Trump supporter?

? I wasn't there. Did you see it happen?