-5

The Christian God is malevolent, amirite?

Whether or not you believe in Jesus, do you think the character of Jesus is evil?

Drunk With Blood: God's killings in the Biblehttp://skepticsannotatedbible.com/DWB/index.htmlImage for post The Christian God is malevolent, amirite?
vegans avatar Religion
4 34
The voters have decided that vegan is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"I am the gate. If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." -Jesus (John 10:9-11)

"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day." -Jesus (John 12:46-48)

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." -Jesus (Matthew 7:12)

@Maze "I am the gate. If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. The...

Maze just because the Bible canonizes itself doesn't mean Jesus was good. How is this good?

"Ordered, assisted in, or approved of dozens of complete genocides?

Accepted human sacrifice in the cases of Jephthah's daughter and Saul's seven sons? "

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/DWB/index.html

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan Maze just because the Bible canonizes itself doesn't mean Jesus was good. How is this good? "Ordered, assisted in...

Where in the Bible does it say Jesus "Ordered, assisted in, or approved of dozens of complete genocides?"

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." -Jesus (Matthew 5:43-48)

@Maze Where in the Bible does it say Jesus "Ordered, assisted in, or approved of dozens of complete genocides?" “You...

"
Deuteronomy 2:34
KJ21
And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones of every city; we left none to remain."

"1 Samuel 15:3

“Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.”"

https://www.biblegateway.com/ve...eronomy%202:34
https://www.kingjamesbibleonlin...1-Samuel-15-4/

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan " Deuteronomy 2:34 KJ21 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men and the women and...

That's the Old Testament, the Jewish Torah, so you're criticizing Jewish theology, not Christian theology. There is a genocidal bent to Judaism that isn't present in Christianity. I showed you what Jesus has to say about how you should treat your enemies.

The passages you quoted are also edited to remove the context. The full passages are:

Deuteronomy 2:32-34

The Lord said to me, “See, I have begun to deliver Sihon and his country over to you. Now begin to conquer and possess his land.”

When Sihon and all his army came out to meet us in battle at Jahaz, the Lord our God delivered him over to us and we struck him down, together with his sons and his whole army. At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed them—men, women and children. We left no survivors.

1 Samuel 15:1-3

Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”

@Maze That's the Old Testament, the Jewish Torah, so you're criticizing Jewish theology, not Christian theology. There is...

God wrote the Old Testament
Jesus is God
Therefore, Jesus wrote the Old Testament.

Jesus performed the killings of the Old Testament. I also fail to perceive how your full context quotes change anything.

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan God wrote the Old Testament Jesus is God Therefore, Jesus wrote the Old Testament. Jesus performed the killings...

The context shows that the Israelites didn't just up and decide to attack those people out of the blue, they were at war with enemies who weren't interested in peace.

People inspired by God wrote the Old Testament. God felt it necessary to take physical form to set them straight about a few things. That's Jesus.

@Maze The context shows that the Israelites didn't just up and decide to attack those people out of the blue, they were...

"King James Bible
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
"

The Bible clearly states that God wrote the Bible. As for being at war, don't you think genocide is a little over the top? What if in WW2 if the allies decided to follow God's example and genocide all the axis powers? I think the allies would have been worse than the axis powers.

Or how about just about any other war in the last century? No, we must not look to the Bible for moral guidance. We must use logic and reason in lieu of the Bible.

" At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed them—men, women and children. We left no survivors. "

http://biblehub.com/2_peter/1-20.htm

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan "King James Bible Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. " The...

See, the problem is you're cherry picking, you're not looking at the totality of the philosophy. I'm a Christian, not a Jew. If you have a problem with Jewish theology, take it up with them. Jesus reformed that theology, and that's what I follow.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” -Jesus (Matthew 22:36-40)

@Maze See, the problem is you're cherry picking, you're not looking at the totality of the philosophy. I'm a Christian...

"See, the problem is you're cherry picking, you're not looking at the totality of the philosophy." Maze

The same could be said of you. Personally I see the Bible as an x-rated book of hate and lies.

"
2 Corinthians 6:14King James Version (KJV)

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
"
"Personal Injury Laws
…20"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. 21"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property. "

As for your quotes the Bible tells you to love a non-existent entity and then to enforce your standards on others, that is the problem with the golden rule.

Getting a little bit worked up, I am passionate about the subject and will take some time off from this. Rest assured I will read and respond to your further comments.

https://www.biblegateway.com/pa...mp;version=KJVp://biblehub.com/exodus/21-21.htm

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan "See, the problem is you're cherry picking, you're not looking at the totality of the philosophy." Maze The same...

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers"

I'd say that's good advice for marriage. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have this conversation go on for the rest of my life. I've been there before, and I'm never dating an atheist again. I want someone with a compatible set of beliefs to mine.

Judaism has no problem with slavery, Christians ended slavery. Even though the Bible includes the Torah, it is a distinctly different philosophy than Judaism.

@Maze "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers" I'd say that's good advice for marriage. I don't know about...

The new testament has plenty of passages I don't agree with.

For example Jesus whipped the money changers.

"And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
" [0]

Eternal damnation

"And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.". [1]

Jesus approves of genocide and plans to repeat it. [2][3]

" Matthew 24:37-42New International Version (NIV)

37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come."

"The Sword of the Gospel
(Luke 12:49-53)

34Do not assume that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn

‘A man against his father,

a daughter against her mother,

a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

36A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’c " [4]

I'm sure there is more, I just don't have the entire new testament memorized.

0. http://biblehub.com/john/2-15.htm
1. https://www.biblegateway.com/pa...mp;version=ESVhttp://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=21
3. https://www.biblegateway.com/pa...mp;version=NIVhttp://biblehub.com/matthew/10-34.htm

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan The new testament has plenty of passages I don't agree with. For example Jesus whipped the money changers. "And...

Jesus drove out the money changers because they were running the temple like a racket for their own enrichment. What they were doing was evil: not only were they preying on the faithful, they were defiling the temple with their greed.

There's no middle ground, you're either on the side of Life or you're not. If you're on the side of darkness, that where you'll exist; here, and in the hereafter.

When you love God, and love your fellow beings, you can rest assured that no matter what happens, you will be alright. That doesn't mean you'll never die in the earthly sense, that day finds us all eventually, but you'll be blessed in life, and have nothing to fear in death. And since we don't know the day or the hour when we will die or when Christ will return, we should always stay right with God.

But often staying right with God puts you at odds with those around you, because doing what's right isn't always popular. Thus, by calling people to do seek righteousness above all, Jesus knew he was going to create struggle. But struggle in pursuit of goodness isn't bad, it's good, as long as it doesn't cause you to sin.

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." -Jesus (Matthew 10:16)

@Maze Jesus drove out the money changers because they were running the temple like a racket for their own enrichment...

I do think pushing for what is right will cause struggle, yet harmony is another value. Sometimes, its better in my opinion to let a small slight go in the interest of peace.

I do view Jesus as evil, and it does create strife when I pursuit what I perceive as the path of righteousness. As for the money changers, I agree that the money changers were wrong, the punishment seemed overly harsh.

Whipping hurts, Jesus could have just performed a miracle and teleported them outside the temple.

"Bondservants and Masters

5 Bondservants,[a] obey your earthly masters[b] with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, "

https://www.biblegateway.com/pa...mp;version=ESV

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Maze If you see Jesus as evil, how do you see satan? Good or evil?

Evil. From the below passage you can see Satan is a psychopathic killer, not even sparing children. :(

"9 Satan replied, “Would Job worship you if he got nothing out of it? 10 You have always protected him and his family and everything he owns. You bless everything he does, and you have given him enough cattle to fill the whole country. 11 But now suppose you take away everything he has—he will curse you to your face!”

12 “All right,” the Lord said to Satan, “everything he has is in your power, but you must not hurt Job himself.” So Satan left.

Job's Children and Wealth Are Destroyed

13 One day when Job's children were having a feast at the home of their oldest brother, 14 a messenger came running to Job. “We were plowing the fields with the oxen,” he said, “and the donkeys were in a nearby pasture. 15 Suddenly the Sabeans[d] attacked and stole them all. They killed every one of your servants except me. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

16 Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, “Lightning struck the sheep and the shepherds and killed them all. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

17 Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, “Three bands of Chaldean[e] raiders attacked us, took away the camels, and killed all your servants except me. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

18 Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, “Your children were having a feast at the home of your oldest son, 19 when a storm swept in from the desert. It blew the house down and killed them all. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”"

As you can see Satan has the power to control lightning, mind control people Sabeans in this case, and storms and the personality to abuse this power.

https://www.biblegateway.com/pa...mp;version=GNT

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2401126

I'm not trying to pick a fight for no reason, I am trying to spread the truth about God.

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@2401590

Richard Dawkins.

"“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion "

https://www.goodreads.com/work/...e-god-delusion

@2401774

This is a discussion. If my views are wrong, why don't you explain why my views are incorrect? Of course, humans are fallible and thus Dawkins is fallible.

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply

I am an atheist, but I do believe Jesus lived. If I was to sum up his teachings with just one word, that word would be "kindness".

The 'father' figure is. The 'son' seems benevolent. The third one seems apathetic.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc The 'father' figure is. The 'son' seems benevolent. The third one seems apathetic.

I never did figure out what the trinity meant. God, Son, and holy Spirit. Does that mean Christianity is polytheistic? I'm not sure. I was never sure which one to pray to.

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vegan I never did figure out what the trinity meant. God, Son, and holy Spirit. Does that mean Christianity is...

It's odd for sure.

Someone once said it's like:
Ice
Water
Steam

One substance, three versions

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply

I voted this way because of all the Bible killings. Also, eternal damnation for messing up. That seems like an overly harsh pentalty. Imagine giving the death pentalty for smoking pot.

vegans avatar vegan Yeah You Are 0Reply

God did not create robots, he cannot make square a circle, he cannot make free will without the potential of people to use that free will for harm, your choice: free will or robot. God is not malevolent, but you darned atheists (even though you don;t believe in him) try to make him be the bad guy. when really 99% of what happens to you is of your OWN doing

malevolent (məˈlɛvələnt) adj 1. wishing or appearing to wish evil to others; malicious 2. (Astrology) astrology having an evil influence [C16: from Latin malevolens, from male ill + volens, present participle of velle to wish]

No, humans are.

Trishs avatar Trish No Way 0Reply

I've always thought that aspects of religion were outrageous...not friendly...

If I was in danger as a child...would I run to God? No. I would not.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are 0Reply

Basically religion was what kept people from doing bad things, now it's used to manipulate the foolish. Too bad that many people need the wrath of an invisible bearded men in order not to be barbarian. Religion is hypocritic, of all gods out there yours is real and the others are fake and none who believe will go to hell.