+19

Anyone who refers to an entire classification of people (race, cred, nationality, ideology) as 'evil' is either prejudiced or they don't understand the definition of evil.

VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
9 43

Oh some simpleminded (okay just really stupid) people can't grasp the concept that there is good & bad in everything. I just love when complete morons say "well all Christians do this" please...give me a break...not all but you can't seem to use the word some in your statement.

@Lil_Princess Oh some simpleminded (okay just really stupid) people can't grasp the concept that there is good & bad in...

I am guilty of doing that and I try not to, when it is pointed out to me I apologize.

@VicZinc I am guilty of doing that and I try not to, when it is pointed out to me I apologize.

I think we all have been guilty of it however some continuously do it.

@2445696

I wouldn't say they're evil per se, because they believe they're doing the will of God. I'd put them in the category of, 1, being at war with us, (a war the west started) and 2, using evil to pursue good, a course of action I consider delusional.

@2445696

They often are. That doesn't make it so, any more than classifying the IRA or FARC as evil makes them evil.

@2445760

Thank you for your permission.

I suppose the 'Son of Liberty' were also evil.

@2445810

Birds born in cages think flying is a crime.

@2446075

How do you know what it thinks?
Lot's of people think adultery is a sin, and do it every chance they get.
Maybe your budgie is a bad boy?

@2446115

Naughty birdie

People tend to judge the words or actions of some for all. That's a mistake.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply

People do that all the time. What's your defn't of evil, VicZinc? And predjudice while you're at it...

No dictionary definition either...or at least paraphrase...

@Sukiesnow People do that all the time. What's your defn't of evil, VicZinc? And predjudice while you're at it... No...

I don't believe in evil. It's all perspective. We never know when one act deemed evil by some might result in a greater good. The classic example is Judas.

Prejudiced is when we assume something about another person based on their physical characteristics before we get to know them. Judging a book by it's cover.

@VicZinc I don't believe in evil. It's all perspective. We never know when one act deemed evil by some might result in a...

Give us some standard...everyone's different perspective makes this a shifty poll. ;)

I mean there's gotta be some basic words...like "bad" perhaps...something with which we can all relate to under the broader term of "evil"...:)

@Sukiesnow Give us some standard...everyone's different perspective makes this a shifty poll. ;) I mean there's gotta be some...

Most people agree with you. I don't. There is no 'good' or 'bad'.

We have no way of predicting the outcome of our behaviors. Maybe killing someone results in that person never starting a epidemic. Perhaps saving someones life means they will have a chance to father a mass murderer.

We just cannot know the long term consequences of our actions, which is why Jesus said:

"scatter the seeds across the field, some will fall a footpath, others on rock, others among thorns and still others on fertile soil...the field where you planted that good seed will be full of weeds. Let both grow until the harvest. The harvester will sort out the weeds."

It is not up to me to sort out the weeds, I will wait for the harvester to do that.

Who am I to decide which plants are to be selected and which are to be left to rot when the harvester collects his crops?

@VicZinc Most people agree with you. I don't. There is no 'good' or 'bad'. We have no way of predicting the outcome of...

Vic...it's so zen of you... You have got 2 b a Bhuddist...your AV name s/b VicZen...ha...xo...

So if someone steals...that's not "bad"?

@Sukiesnow Vic...it's so zen of you... You have got 2 b a Bhuddist...your AV name s/b VicZen...ha...xo... So if someone...

It might be. I will never know. No one can steal from me because I don't claim ownership of anything.

@VicZinc No. I am not really anything.

Mostly if you ask a person a question...everyone has the same understanding of words...like in this case...evil... How can you understand what ppl are saying if you yourself take a different meaning from words...

@VicZinc IDK. No one here defined 'evil' except me. What's your definition?

Well, you're the poster... Posters usually do that...provide the definition...and then usually commenters take your definitions and follow them in making a comment... Does this make sense?

@Sukiesnow Well, you're the poster... Posters usually do that...provide the definition...and then usually commenters take your...

Perfectly.

This post was in response to someone who referred to the 'evil left'.

Most people I know equate 'evil' with the devil, as in satan.

Some people might think a certain action or a certain person is 'evil' by their own definition.

For example someone might think Hitler or Charles Manson or Joseph Stalin was evil - meaning like the devil, as bad a satan. Maybe they are right, I don't know - but maybe.

I am just saying anyone who says 'this entire group of people is evil' implying that every single person associated with that group is equivalent to satan - well that person is either prejudiced or is using a non-standard definition of evil.

In my mind, rather I believe in evil or not, it seems very unlikely that every leftist is as bad as Hitler or satan; or that every muslim is exactly like satan; or every person who ever supported the 'right to choose' is just as bad as Charles Manson.

That's what I was trying to say.

@VicZinc Perfectly. This post was in response to someone who referred to the 'evil left'. Most people I know equate...

Thanks VicZen...:)

I guess you have your own dictionary...and other peoples dictionary...?

@VicZinc I am open. Define away, I am all eyes.

You know...with your attitude...no wonder your life has been virtually seamless...:)

@VicZinc It has.

That yoga group I was with tried to teach us the importance of detachment...but it never really took with most of us....

I'll agree with you on race and nationality because we don't get to choose the circumstances of our birth, but are you suggesting that there are no fundamentally evil ideologies out there? How about satanism? Which side does being a satanist put you on, good or evil? I'd say a satanist who thinks he's a "good person" is a seriously confused individual. People don't get involved in that ideology to pursue virtue, they know they're evil, they do it for power. I consider it "fool's gold" personally, kind of like destroying what's really important in pursuit of things that aren't important, but that's beside the point. Satanists are evil, and any of them would tell you that if they wanted to be honest with you, which they may or may not, since they have no compunction about lying if it suits them.

Action arises out of thought, and your actions are a product of your ideology. Hired assassins have a different ideology than Buddhist monks, which is why they kill people for money instead of praying all day.

@Maze I'll agree with you on race and nationality because we don't get to choose the circumstances of our birth, but are...

I won't argue with you here because there is no way to conduct a full platonic dialogue here.

I will disagree, on 3 levels:
1) your perspective is not that of a Satanist
2) Matthew 13. The parable of the weeds. We should make ourselves like fertile soil yes, but it is the role of the harvester to separate the weeds from the wheat.
3) we should endeavour to live a pure life but we cannot know the role others play nor the consequences of their contributions.

oh one thing we agree on lol.

Evil | Definition of Evil by Merriam-Webster
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evil
1 a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked <an evil impulse> b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>.

So it is an opinion. The serpent's lie to Eve was that she could know evil, but that is contrary to the definition. Of course everybody since then thinks they have a better idea.

Nailed it!

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +1Reply

I have never ever, don't get me wrong, said that all white people are evil. However, what I do reflect on is facts, and it's more because of circumstances and the stupidities in this world. I highly doubt Cha Cha Jimenez made the Young Lords into what they are today. -ez surnames are WHITE. It had to be a Rivera who made into what it is. Mexico, Central, South America, Puerto Rico and Cuba are run by Visigoths, hence white countries, and lots of racism I must add. But yeah

Yes, especially this "Friends"-watching "bro"-hating bUm drug addict that I just ran into right now that said I "needed help" - aka mentally institutionalized. Yeah I know she's stereotyping "crazy" people, but I can slam the shit back at her.

Anonymous