+6

My mother taught me that no material possessions are worth nothing compared to the love of your neighbors. When I was 11 years old my bicycle was taken from the yard. I was quite upset; my mother’s response was that whoever stole it needed it more than I did. She said I should hope and pray that the bicycle would bring happiness and a better life to whoever took it. I realized then, that for whatever reason – financial difficulty, depraved upbringing, social pathology, lack of moral fiber – the person who now had that bicycle was in worse shape than I. From that day on the biblical saying “whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back” became my sole way of being in this material world.

VicZincs avatar Jokes & Humour
6 45

What a wise & lovely woman. Oh I was raised the exact same way. It was something that my dad used to say to me. Another thing he taught me was if I couldn't afford something it meant that I really didn't need it. As I got older I saw what he meant. I feel blessed with the things that I have in my life.

What a wonderful testimony, Vic. We should all live by that. Thanks for sharing!

@2446096

You and I have very different outlooks on life and human nature.

@2446114

I wonder about the British stealing resources from every continent for hundreds of years? Oh wait, when the queen plundered the new world and India and Africa and Australia that wasn't stealing that was smart business, my bad.

@2446142

Some would argue that the empire speed the development and subsequent technological advances of those countries.

We just don't know what good can come from evil or what evil comes from good.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

@2446114

Vic lives on a planet called Zen... I'm not sure what it all entails yet...:)

@2446122

I suppose. Haven't found mine yet.

@2446207

Limit of what?

@2446270

That's only because he's not around enough people...i.e...like, some users....i.e...join a church of about 1500 ppl and you'll reach your limit before very long...ha.

I believe that too - to a point. It gets old when the government keeps taking from us and lining their pockets and things never get better in our world.

Still nobody should steal.

You mom was smart to say that to you...to settle you down.

Was that back in the day where you were attached to belongings? VicZen.

I'm curious Vic, if you need a bicycle now, do you feel OK about taking one from your neighbors yard?

@Budwick I'm curious Vic, if you need a bicycle now, do you feel OK about taking one from your neighbors yard?

No I usually buy a few hundred at a time and hand them out to kids in the city.

@VicZinc No I usually buy a few hundred at a time and hand them out to kids in the city.

So, it used to be OK to steal a bike, your bike, cuz your Mommy said so, but it's not OK for you to steal a bike now.

It's all very confusing Vic. I mean you are encouraging people to take bikes or what they need - but for unexplained reasons the rule doesn't apply to you! It's like either you are full of shit or you are lying.

What an awkward position for someone professing to be a follower of Jesus to be in. [Well, a follower of Jesus up until that part of being the Son of God, Amirite? Isn't that where the wheels of your story start to fall apart?]

@Budwick So, it used to be OK to steal a bike, your bike, cuz your Mommy said so, but it's not OK for you to...

Get the behind me.

I will not fall to your temptations.

Stealing is a sign of distress that needs to be addressed with kindness and understanding.

When you care not for worldly possessions you need not steal.

Jesus's words are clear, your satanic twisting is pathetic.

@VicZinc Get the behind me. I will not fall to your temptations. Stealing is a sign of distress that needs to be addressed...

To be certain, God does not like thievery! That's all over the Bible.

Here's another tidbit you might learn from in Matthew - “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others."

@VicZinc True Of course my reward is on earth as I have no plans to go to heaven.

Whew! Well, that's good news. I'd hate to see you disappointed right there at 'the end'.

Good story, vic. I too, think jesus was very wise, there have been many wise and thoughtful people, none of them gods. . And generosity of wealth and spirit is a fine thing. I find it odd tho that so many people quote damning scripture as gods law but when a giving and open one is quoted,.....well, you likely get what im saying.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

So was that back in the day when you were attached to belonging? VicZen?

@Sukiesnow Did that change your mind?

In a sense.
I was very young and
like most children
I was thinking in terms of
"that's mine" or
"I want that!"

but I really thought about it,

I was very religious
at the time,
attending bible study,
Sunday school and
religious education.
I was an altar boy.

I spent a lot of time reading
and thinking about Jesus,
I still do.

Some years later
I decided that what
I had learned about
the God of Abraham,
the god of the bible and
of the Quran and
of the Torah
was either very wrong or that
that god was a major asshole.

I became an atheist
having decided that
Jesus was a very wise man
but not a god.

That is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +1Reply

The person who stole the bike is simply a thief, and nothing more. It's one thing to defend someone for stealing food simply to live. It's completely different for anyone to defend someone for stealing things that they just 'want".

@JustJimColo The person who stole the bike is simply a thief, and nothing more. It's one thing to defend someone for stealing...

I am not defending them. I am forgiving their trespasses.

Their judgment will occur elsewhen and won't involve me.

I do't have a problem with someone forgiving someone that stole from them. I also don't think anyone has the right to forgive someone who stole from someone else. Life is about accountability for your actions and accepting the consequences. (Both good as well as bad)

Anonymous