+2

Getting our first real snow. Roads are bad, and for some reason power is out. What do you do when your phone battery is almost dead and the only light is coming from your woodstove? Have candles and such but nothing strong enough to read by. Hmmmm

Image for post Getting our first real snow. Roads are bad, and for some reason power is out. What do you do when your phone battery is almost dead and the only light is coming from your woodstove? Have candles and such but nothing strong enough to read by. Hmmmm
Carlas avatar Animals & Nature
8 28

Woidstove is blazing, dont like ti use the propane if its warm enough, it is. Its been three hours now. The peace and quiet has worn off. I live 30 minutes to my closest friends and family. Have to keep my critters warm too. Just gonna wait it out.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

I go start the car mine is a prius. I can get warm recharge that phone and drive to a truckstop for a hot meal. There is always a truckstop open around here.

Power came back an hour ago. Out for 4.5 hours. Not too bad. Have a great woodstove, just lost the blower for awhile. My mom lives with me, she's 88. Not much of a talker anymore, her voice gives out. It is nice to have y'all out there to bounce stuff off of. Ty for your input. Kept me occupied till i ran out of juice. Good time of the year to have lively debates too.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Well, we should be two or three feet under. Today it is around 40 degrees, should be 25 or 30. So the 4 or 5 inches we got is going quickly. Not complaining, i can do without the snow, it is just bad for businesses around here

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

Candles, turn on the gas stove and gas fireplace.

Yep, charge the phone with the car if you have to We keep a lot of candles and flashlights around. The stove and fireplace is gas so we don't get too concerned on these issues. We lost power a few years ago but we could still cook and stay warm. The only thing we did was to bring out our 90+ year old friend and have her sit by the fire to stay warm.
biggrin smilie

That happened to us a couple of weeks ago (mini-blizzard and no power). It's amazing how quiet the house can. Just remember the survival code: If it's yellow, let it mellow - if it's brown, flush it down.

@faceman That happened to us a couple of weeks ago (mini-blizzard and no power). It's amazing how quiet the house can...

AH yes, whenever there was to be a big storm, my mom filled the tub with water for flushing because we had a well with a pump, so no power no water.

That's the way I was raised. No electricity, desert gets dangerously cold after sundown, except in late summer. All you can do is get peaceful. Place looks like this:

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Really AZ what are the cold temperatures usually . I always thought arizona was super hot

Hot summers, yes, like 120 F. Air so still you have to walk around a tree to stay in shade but dissipate the sweat so you don't drown in it. No humidity to reflect infrared, so body heat radiates into the north sky. If air temp drops below skin temp, you need shelter. That's why hotels in Vegas close the swimming pools when the temp drops below 80F. You save glass jars here, to hold a bar of soap so the mice don't eat it.

Sit by a window?

I got 15 this year. Had a little left from last. Been burning since sept. tho as mother gets cold easily nowadays. Know its gonna be snowy, just hoping the bitter, bitter lightens up

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2455608

Brrrr.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

I'd probably throw a log on the fire and go to bed. If I really needed to charge my phone, I could use my BioLite stove if nothing else was available.

i'd sleep lol

@2455382

Wind chill is wicked up here for sure. 50 mph gusts tomottow

Anonymous