Is it true that in the old days a man who was fat was a symbol of someone who was wealthy and had money to buy a lot of food?

Image for post Is it true that in the old days a man who was fat was a symbol of someone who was wealthy and had money to buy a lot of food?
83% Yes 17% No 0% Other
AdamNYs avatar Food & Drink
1 9
@2446830

Only in Italy or France, not in Denmark, Israel, Spain, Sweden, which "bro"-hating or Africa lol

That was very true. When food was scarce a big man or woman carried that weight to show they were wealthy. Too bad people today carry weight mostly as poorer people . That is a fact, very low income people tend to become fat because they don't have the means to buy healthy foods - so they depend on a lot of pasta. Yet I worked for the richest couple in town they were both so fat they couldn't fit in a plane seat, not even 1st class. What a waste of money, I would have hired a cook and a trainer to keep me skinny.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred That was very true. When food was scarce a big man or woman carried that weight to show they were wealthy. Too bad...

I don't know if I can agree with you that poverty = weight. A lot of the mobsters, bad choice for example i know, are extremely rich and many of them are fat - they love eating a lot of sausages and pizza like i nthe movies.

That is the way it was decades ago. Also Polynesian people wanted very big women as it proved they were healthy and could produce kids.

Now it's a sign of poverty so people like to mock,demean, and abuse "Fat" people

Has anybody actually studied history so they know what they are talking about? In my meager studies I have seen only very few references to fat or thin people.

Anonymous