-1

Has the internet reduced the loneliness that seems to plague the western World?

Image for post **Has the internet reduced the loneliness that seems to plague the western World?**
Sukiesnows avatar Countries & Places
7 11

I think it's probably increased the loneliness, people don't talk to one another like we used to. We just type away.

@StarzAbove I think it's probably increased the loneliness, people don't talk to one another like we used to. We just type away.

It seems we sometimes think of seniors citizens when we think about lonely people...

And why is Loneliness a bad thing?

But what about Gamblers...porn addicts? These are all ppl who are prolly lonely...and are sublimating their lack of connectedness by being on the computer...

Ooh...! It's snowing out here, Starz...a lovely snowfall..

Hon...isn't the monkey...writing with his little left hand...a cute pic?

I just used it since I think the pic is so cute... I, you know, lost 2 pets this year and am still grieving...:(

Perhaps future generations will see more of an impact of being online...but older gens don't seem to be comfortable expressing themselves on a computer...

No, but at least we get a flood of cat pictures.

I'm single but not lonely....and the internet isnt the reason that I'm ot lonely

Cantstops avatar Cantstop Disagree +1Reply

i live in an isolated part of the world and the range of people I can meet in real life is very limited. The internet had put me in contact with many more and diverse people from all over the world that I never would have got to meet without having access to a large amount of money for travelling. Yes if I was cashed up I'd travel and meet people in person. I'd much prefer that, but the internet is a lot better than talking to nobody. Also loneliness is a bad thing because it's shown by how people react to the loss of their loved ones or pets. If loneliness was a good thing, we'd celebrate the loss instead.

Back when any LAN was a novelty, I watched my son chatting with a girl who happened to be sitting right next to him. The computer exchanges seemed to be friendly, but after a while he turned and spoke to her directly. She looked at him as if he had slapped her. She stood up and walked away.

No matter what, as long as you don't pull out your credit card you are only talking to your computer.

Isn't the pic cute... Please pause to adore pic...

A baby monkey writing...writing....

Oh. I said that before. Well. It obviously bears repeating. Ha.

Anonymous