Will all countries eventually go metric?

40% Yes 53% No 7% Other
Mashas avatar Science
6 16

All countries have except for Myanmar, Liberia and the U.S. I can't think why the little countries haven't yet, but my guess is that the U.S. hasn't because it's so huge and each State probably can't come to an agreement on it, and you'd need every State to be onboard with such a change and even then it'd be a huge thing to implement. Changing all the speed limit signs to Kmph over night would be a mammoth task. I'm just guessing here, I wonder what others think?

@OzSurfer All countries have except for Myanmar, Liberia and the U.S. I can't think why the little countries haven't yet, but...

Back in the late 60s there was a push to teach metrics in our US schools, but apparently that died out. It's actually easier to use than our system. Changing doesn't have to happen overnight and can be gradual. That's what they did in the UK (though they still use MPH on their speed limit signs). I imagine that will be next.

@Seonag Back in the late 60s there was a push to teach metrics in our US schools, but apparently that died out. It's...

Interesting thanks! I remember being taught both systems at school too. I do prefer metric in most instances but I prefer feet for measuring altitude for some reason.

They tried making a push toward metric in the US a few years back. Initially I think the resistance was simply that people didn't want to readjust their brains to the system. [joke coming] I mean women were having enough trouble figuring out what 6 inches was - imagine telling 'em that it equals about 15 centimeters!

Now, I think there will be additional resistance just because US is more resistant to anything Europe - it equates to one world government. It's gonna have to wait a generation before they take another stab at it.

I for one use metric all the time in my woodworking. I find it easier to be more accurate - certainly easier to add, subtract, multiply, dive than Imperial fractions!

@Budwick They tried making a push toward metric in the US a few years back. Initially I think the resistance was simply...

I lived in the UK for a while. In the grocery store they labeled weight in metric and Imperial for a number of years, but forced the change in 1999 by banning Imperial use. I honestly got quite good at converting mentally and then finally adjusting to the metric. And I was pushing the 'Senior Citizen' era of my life. Actually easier to use, also.

I don't think the USA will be changing that, so I'll guess nope. That big of a change can be a pain in the ass and for the way I see some people speaking of the subject, the population isn't inclined to such change.

That being said, if the government decides to change it, I think they can. We had a "grammatical" change here in Portugal some years ago and it was a little hard changing the way I write just like that. I still have problems with it. Most people I know also thought the change was stupid and unnecessary but it still happened.

Only for bottles of soda...

I was told this was going to happen in the United States many years ago by my history teacher but it still hasn't happened.

Anonymous