Can evil cause ignorance among people?

The Middle Ages was such a horrible time for this reason. Mind you yes, stupidity is bad, but this was stupidity of the most horrible kind. It was a time of profound ignorance in the world.

75% Yes 25% No 0% Other
AdamNYs avatar
1 15

I would say it was the opposite. Ignorance breeds evil.

@dru18 I would say it was the opposite. Ignorance breeds evil.

I don't know. If you believe in Satan's existence, like I do, I would say he causes all of it, and the Middle Ages, come on, that's was a time of profound ignorance. I think of those types who seem nice, but will get pissy potty if you don't agree with them, though I don't know if that's ignorance as much as childishness

@AdamNY I don't know. If you believe in Satan's existence, like I do, I would say he causes all of it, and the Middle Ages...

That's my point. The Middle Ages was very ignorant. They were ignorant and superstitious. As a result, they were very cruel.

@dru18 That's my point. The Middle Ages was very ignorant. They were ignorant and superstitious. As a result, they were...

But religion isn't to blame for it. Renaissance Italy was Catholic and it was a time of knowledge and flourishing. The USA was Judeo-Protestant and we produced some of the best teachers, thinkers of the time.
It had more to do with corruption.

@AdamNY But religion isn't to blame for it. Renaissance Italy was Catholic and it was a time of knowledge and flourishing...

The Renaissances came at the tail end of the Middle Ages. We moved from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance period. And we started to move away from the Church.

@dru18 The Renaissances came at the tail end of the Middle Ages. We moved from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance period...

The move from the Church didn't happen with the Renaissance. That move from Christianity in general was the Enlightenment.

@AdamNY The move from the Church didn't happen with the Renaissance. That move from Christianity in general was the...

We 'started' to move away. Martin Luther was a great pioneer in that movement.

No argument from me, regarding the Enlightenment period.

@dru18 We 'started' to move away. Martin Luther was a great pioneer in that movement. No argument from me, regarding the...

I don't claim any church is perfect but to downplay the role of religion in promoting intellectual achievements is to do a disservice to those in the churches who pushed for it. Religion has been a driving force in improvement in education, technology and many others. Japan is very religious (Catholic in a lot of cases) and they're a prosperous advanced first world country.

@AdamNY I don't claim any church is perfect but to downplay the role of religion in promoting intellectual achievements is...

But we were talking about a time period of over six hundred years ago. And yes, during the Middle Ages, the Church was very corrupt.

I think the church is still corrupt. Not its parishiners, but the orginization. But....once anything thinks itself all powerful, corruption is the natural progression. Many churches are terribly corrupt. That does not reflect, in most cases, upin those who practice the tenants of their ondividual teachings

@Carla I think the church is still corrupt. Not its parishiners, but the orginization. But....once anything thinks itself...

Eh there is corruption in the church, but I think the Judaism and Protestant churches are starting to get worse. Also Islam inherently is a child-screwing religion, so in some ways they're worse. The only arrogant Catholic church in my opinion is the Spanish one.

I assume you have herad of the democrat party ....

@Budwick I assume you have herad of the democrat party ....

As bad as they can be they don't compare with the widespread ignorance of the middle ages.

@AdamNY As bad as they can be they don't compare with the widespread ignorance of the middle ages.

Maybe so but may I present two examples - I think we'll see that they are closer than most would expect.

In the Middle Ages they would hold a woman thought to be a witch under water for several minutes. If she survived, they knew she was a witch!

In 2010 the democrats said " "...we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it".

To me, it's a toss up as to which is more evil and ignorant.

Anonymous